Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Who knew Sheldon likes blueberries. Kenzie blended some blueberries with a banana and Sheldon liked it :D I knew he likes banana's but I had no idea he would like blueberries. Just a thought will he now have blue poop?:p

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, he might. Cheli does when give him Blueberries, Banks a little blue but not as much a Cheli is

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I love feeding my boy things that are good for him

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

B

Baxter Tiberius

You might also see some blueberry skins come out. Baxter gets a Blueberry every time he potty's in the right place on the balcony :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Blueberries are a great, nutritious snack for pooches, they are high in antioxidants :) I give the boys frozen blueberries in some plain yogurt sometimes and they love it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:gimmefood:Hi, both my guys love fruit, we give them banana, watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries, and yes they poop out Smurf poops. Lol. It freaked my husband out the first time he saw it. He came inside and asked me what I had fed them, because they had blue poops. Lol. He doesn't really pay attention to what I feed them, other than he buys the Fromm's Beef Kibble, and knows that in pretty anal about what they eat. They aren't allowed any table scraps, leftovers, other than when we have broccoli, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, or other vegetables, and they aren't allowed any store bought treats unless their all natural and approved by Mommy. He thinks I'm crazy, and my kids call me the crazy dog lady, but when my vet and other people say they look so healthy, and their coats are so soft and shiny, and their eyes are so clear, then I know I'm doing the right thing.

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:gimmefood:Hi, both my guys love fruit, we give them banana, watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries, and yes they poop out Smurf poops. Lol. It freaked my husband out the first time he saw it. He came inside and asked me what I had fed them, because they had blue poops. Lol. He doesn't really pay attention to what I feed them, other than he buys the Fromm's Beef Kibble, and knows that in pretty anal about what they eat. They aren't allowed any table scraps, leftovers, other than when we have broccoli, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, or other vegetables, and they aren't allowed any store bought treats unless their all natural and approved by Mommy. He thinks I'm crazy, and my kids call me the crazy dog lady, but when my vet and other people say they look so healthy, and their coats are so soft and shiny, and their eyes are so clear, then I know I'm doing the right thing.

Exactly! I love that Sheldon has so much energy now and his coat looks so good and soft. Sheldon doesn't get table scraps. Oh and the shedding has been knocked in half he doesn't shed nearly as much as he was. I am going to try watermelon this weekend and some strawberries I know he loves banana's doesn't like cantalope loves apples (provided they are peeled he doesn't like the peeling) blueberries. I make all Sheldon's treats now that way I know he is getting a healthy snack. I make him frozen banana yogurt treats peanut butter yogurt treats. Oh and can I give him Kiwi I have a daughter that loves kiwi????

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I always keep a pack of frozen blueberries in the freezer and often use it as a topping on their food!! They love them!! :up:

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
How can Sheldon not like cantaloupe, for shame :). I keep some of that around at all times and when I get it out to have some Colossus just sits there going - whens my bite, I want a bite, give me my bite, I want my cantaloupe. If I dont give him some he follows me EVERYWHERE until I break down.

Good to know they can have blueberries too. The things we learn on EBN!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Exactly! I love that Sheldon has so much energy now and his coat looks so good and soft. Sheldon doesn't get table scraps. Oh and the shedding has been knocked in half he doesn't shed nearly as much as he was. I am going to try watermelon this weekend and some strawberries I know he loves banana's doesn't like cantalope loves apples (provided they are peeled he doesn't like the peeling) blueberries. I make all Sheldon's treats now that way I know he is getting a healthy snack. I make him frozen banana yogurt treats peanut butter yogurt treats. Oh and can I give him Kiwi I have a daughter that loves kiwi????

0 Comment(s)

my guys love all those fruits you mentioned, and they also love some cooked vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and green beans, I usually just make a little extra at dinner time, and give them some with their evening kibble. If you like making your own homemade healthy snacks for them , you should try some of the recipes on the nutrition forum, there are a lot of really good easy to make recipes that members have shared, and they have natural ingredients like apple sauce , peanut butter, oats, and flour. I've tried some of these ones and they're good, you can eat them yourself.

2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons dry milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *
1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine.

Roll dough between 1/4 ā€“ 1/2ā€³ ā€“ depending on your dogā€™s chew preferences, ask first ā€“ and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog.

* Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.

Peanut Butter and Banana Oat Drops by Gwen Burgart & Kim Forrest

Ingredients
4 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 medium very ripe bananas
1/2 cup natural (no sugar or shortening added) peanut butter
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together oats, flax seed, bananas and peanut butter in an electric mixer. Add some water and mix well. Drop 1/2 teaspoon-sized drops onto greased cookie sheet or roll out and cut with a cookie cutter (let dough stand for a few minutes before rolling; it's sticky initially). Bake for 25 min or until golden brown.

Doggie Peanut butter and Pumpkin cookies (wheat free)

These are actually a combination of peanut butter and pumpkin, mixed in with white rice flour rather than conventional flour. It's a great alternative for those who may have an allergy to wheat but still want something tasty to munch on. You can find white rice flour in the baking aisle at your grocery store. I got mine at an Orowheat outlet so if you have one of those stores nearby, you may want to buy the flour there instead as it was a little cheaper in price.

The nice thing about this recipe is you can make the dough ahead of time, then wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge if you don't feel like baking them just yet. Refrigerating them also helps when you roll it out to cut into pieces. As you can see, I used heart and star cookie cutters

With the holidays coming, I thought it might be fun to give these cookies as gifts for our own furry critters as well as our friend's and family's.

Once again, this recipe is taken from the Doggie Dessert Chef website:

Ingredients
2 cups White Rice Flour
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl mix all ingredients one at a time, kneading well after each addition.
3. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut with the cookie cutter of your choice.
4. Place on your prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes (actually took about 18-20 minutes in my oven). Cool and refrigerate.
Makes 5 to 6 dozen small circles.

0 Comment(s)

Last edited:
OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

0 Comment(s)

my guys love all those fruits you mentioned, and they also love some cooked vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and green beans, I usually just make a little extra at dinner time, and give them some with their evening kibble. If you like making your own homemade healthy snacks for them , you should try some of the recipes on the nutrition forum, there are a lot of really good easy to make recipes that members have shared, and they have natural ingredients like apple sauce , peanut butter, oats, and flour. I've tried some of these ones and they're good, you can eat them yourself.

2 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons dry milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour *
1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs and pumpkin to smooth. Stir in dry milk, sea salt, and dried parsley (if using, optional). Add brown rice flour gradually, combining with spatula or hands to form a stiff, dry dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface (can use the brown rice flour) and if dough is still rough, briefly knead and press to combine.

Roll dough between 1/4 ā€“ 1/2ā€³ ā€“ depending on your dogā€™s chew preferences, ask first ā€“ and use biscuit or other shape cutter to punch shapes, gathering and re-rolling scraps as you go. Place shapes on cookie sheet, no greasing or paper necessary. If desired, press fork pattern on biscuits before baking, a quick up-and-down movement with fork, lightly pressing down halfway through dough. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn biscuits over, then bake additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on rack before feeding to dog.

* Brown rice flour gives the biscuits crunch and promotes better dog digestion. Many dogs have touchy stomachs or allergies, and do not, like many people I know, tolerate wheat.

Peanut Butter and Banana Oat Drops by Gwen Burgart & Kim Forrest

Ingredients
4 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 medium very ripe bananas
1/2 cup natural (no sugar or shortening added) peanut butter
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together oats, flax seed, bananas and peanut butter in an electric mixer. Add some water and mix well. Drop 1/2 teaspoon-sized drops onto greased cookie sheet or roll out and cut with a cookie cutter (let dough stand for a few minutes before rolling; it's sticky initially). Bake for 25 min or until golden brown.

Doggie Peanut butter and Pumpkin cookies (wheat free)

These are actually a combination of peanut butter and pumpkin, mixed in with white rice flour rather than conventional flour. It's a great alternative for those who may have an allergy to wheat but still want something tasty to munch on. You can find white rice flour in the baking aisle at your grocery store. I got mine at an Orowheat outlet so if you have one of those stores nearby, you may want to buy the flour there instead as it was a little cheaper in price.

The nice thing about this recipe is you can make the dough ahead of time, then wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge if you don't feel like baking them just yet. Refrigerating them also helps when you roll it out to cut into pieces. As you can see, I used heart and star cookie cutters

With the holidays coming, I thought it might be fun to give these cookies as gifts for our own furry critters as well as our friend's and family's.

Once again, this recipe is taken from the Doggie Dessert Chef website:

Ingredients
2 cups White Rice Flour
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl mix all ingredients one at a time, kneading well after each addition.
3. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut with the cookie cutter of your choice.
4. Place on your prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes (actually took about 18-20 minutes in my oven). Cool and refrigerate.
Makes 5 to 6 dozen small circles.

0 Comment(s)
The ones I make I got the recipe off here and the kids love them too LOL...they call it the skur treats because they are for the skin kids and the fur kids....They are so funny. I just love seeing him play like a puppy again and when I stopped all the store bought treats and started feeding him quality food and giving him the healthier snacks he plays twice as much as he use to. Doesn't shed half as much he is soft and to me he doesn't smell.

OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Can my fur baby have kiwi?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Fruits for Dogs
Discover what fruit dogs can and cannot eat for a healthy treat.
By Kristina Lotz and Melissa Kauffman | Posted: September 3, 2013, 8 a.m. ES

Humans love fruit and we know bananas and strawberries are good for us, but did you know they are good for your dogs too? Not only will your dog love that he is getting "human food,ā€ but you will love that the same benefits fruits provide us ā€“ aids in digestion, antioxidants, immunity boosts, better eye sight, healthier skin and hair ā€“ they also provide for your dog.

Feed fruits to your dog as a small training treat or stuff your dogā€™s favorite treat stuffer toy with some peanut butter and fruit for a great and healthy occupier.

Tips for Feeding Fruit to Dogs

Always talk to your veterinarian about any treats you feed your dog, including fruit.
Give your dog small portions of fruit only, especially the first time feeding them to your dog. Even though fruit is good for him, fruit is not calorie free. Also, you donā€™t know if your dog will have an allergic or other adverse reaction, such as gas or an upset stomach.
Clean fruit thoroughly before offering it to your dog.
If you can, introduce small portions of fruit to your dog when he is young. He may be more likely to try it and like it.
Some dogs donā€™t like raw fruit. Try mashing it into their food or adding it as an ingredient when you make homemade dog treats. You can also use fruit juice, but make sure it is 100 percent fruit juice and not added sugars.
Avoid feeding your dog any type of seeds or pits. Although not all seeds are known to cause problems, it is better to be safe than sorry. What is known to be problematic or toxic are apple seeds, apricot pits, nectarine pits, plum pits, cherry pits and peach pits.
Check out this list of 13 fruits (and melons) for dogs and their benefits to get you started.

Apples: Source for potassium, fiber, phytonutrients, flavonoids, vitamin C. Note: Do not give dogs the core or the seeds, which contain arsenic. (Half of an apple slice is a good size treat.)

Bananas: Source of potassium and carbohydrates. (1 inch is a good size treat.)

Blackberries: Source of antioxidants (anthocyanins), polyphenols, tannin, fiber, manganese, folate, omega-3. High in vitamins C, K, A and E. (2 or 3 blackberries is a good size treat.)

Blueberries: Source of antioxidants, selenium, zinc and iron. High in vitamins C, E, A and B complex. (2 or 3 blueberries is a good size treat.)

Cantaloupe: Source for vitamins A, B complex, C, plus fiber, beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium, thiamine, niacin, pantothenic acid and folic acid. (1 inch of cantaloupe wedge is a good size treat.)

Cranberries: Source for vitamin C, fiber and manganese. Helps fight against urinary tract infections, plus balances acid-base in dogā€™s body. (2 tablespoons of stewed cranberries added to dogā€™s food is good size portion. Note: To stew cranberries, put them in a saucepan with water, cover and cook until tender. Put them through a sieve and add to dog food.)

Kiwis: Source of fiber, potassium and high in vitamin C. (A half a slice or one slice of kiwi is a good size treat.)

Oranges: Source for fiber, potassium, calcium, folic acid, iron, flavonoids, phytonutrients, vitamins A, C, B1 and B6. (Half of a segment is a good size treat. May cause stomach upset if fed in too big a portion. Remove the rind and any seeds.) Do no feed your dog any part of the orange treeā€”see below.

Pears: Source for fiber, folic acid, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, copper, pectin and vitamins A, C, E, B1 and B2. (1 or 2 pear cubes is a good size treat.)

Pumpkin: Source for fiber, beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, zinc, iron, potassium and Vitamin A. Note: Although you can feed your dog pumpkin seeds, most recommend feeding them to dogs unsalted, roasted and then grounded. Do not feed your dog any other part of the pumpkin due to the small, sharp hairs on the pumpkin stem and leaves. (1 to 3 tablespoons of pureed pumpkin [not pumpkin pie mix] is a good size treat.) Learn more>>

Raspberries: Source of dietary fiber, antioxidants, potassium, manganese, copper, iron, magnesium. Rich in vitamin C, K and B-complex. (2 or 3 raspberries is a good size treat.)

Strawberries: Source for fiber, potassium, magnesium, iodine, folic acid, omega-3 fats, vitamins C, K, B1 and B6. (A half or 1 strawberry is a good size treat.)

Watermelon: Source of vitamins C and A, potassium, magnesium and water. Do not feed your dog the seeds or rind. (1 to 3 pieces of 1-inch watermelon wedge is a good size treat.)

Fruit Bad for Dogs

Although some fruits in small portions can be good for your dog (unless your dog is allergic), never offer your dog the following. If your dog accidently eats the below fruit, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Grapes or Raisins: They have caused many cases of poisoning when ingested by dogs.
Avocados: They could cause gastrointestinal irritation.

Figs: Figs have caused allergic reactions in some dogs. Also, the fig is grown on the Ficus tree (Ficus benjamina), which causes skin inflammation if your dog comes into contact with it. Ficus plants or trees also cause diarrhea and vomiting if your dog ingests them.

Orange tree: The orange tree (Citrus sinensis) is toxic to dogs, cats and horses due to its psoralens and essential oils. You donā€™t want your pet to ingest the seeds, peel, leaves or stem of this tree or fruit. Symptoms of orange tree poisoning are depression, diarrhea and vomiting.

Lemon tree: The lemon tree (Citrus limonia) is toxic to dogs, cats and horses due to its psoralens and essential oils. You donā€™t want your pet to ingest the seeds, peel, leaves or stem of this tree. Symptoms of lemon plant poisoning are depression, diarrhea and vomiting.

Last edited:
OP
Jennifer Clark

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow thank you so much!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.