Help Needed! Please help me help my bully baby!!!

MollysMommy

Sep 10, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Hello! My name is Amber, and I am a new mom to the sweetest little bully girl, Molly. Molly joined our family on June 28, 2013. We've hit some bumps in the road since then, and I'm hoping you guys can guide me in the right direction and help me get my girl healthy.

Molly has an entropian in her right eye, which is scheduled for correction in October. In addition, Molly has had a UTI, two intestinal parasites (Giardia & Coccidia), a bacterial skin infection, and an eye infection. I kept Molly inside, except to go potty in our backyard, until she was 18 weeks, and have only walked her in our neighborhood a maximum of 5 times, because I've been so scared she may pick up another illness else up. She has been on several different antibiotics (Metronidazole - Giardia, Albon - for Toccidia, Malaseb - for skin infection, Neopolybac - for eye infection). She is currently taking the Albon once daily, getting bathed weekly in the Malaseb, and getting Neopolybac twice daily.

I have been feeding her Purina Puppy Chow (I know, shame on me, I didn't know any better, shame on me again for not researching), and I am thinking the first step to helping Molly feel better, is to get her on a great food. I've read the thread on this site, listing the 5 Best Dog Foods, and I am having the hardest time choosing which one is best for her. I know it's trial and error, but I can't seem to decide which one to start with.

That's where you come in. Of the 5 foods listed below, taking into consideration the things I've listed above, which food would you recommend I start with? I am leaning towards Nature's Logic, but I really really like Acana, although I like their Regional line, but I think that is for older dogs, so that won't work. I don't think like their Puppy and Junior blend.

Fromm
Go!
Nature's Logic
Nature's Variety
Acana

Or is there a better option? Do I need to go "raw"?

Also, do you have recommendations for keeping her parasite and infection free? The vet said it's just because she's a puppy, but I can't stand to see her sick. It breaks my heart.

Any input, advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!!!!
Amber

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Amber and :welcome3: to EBN!!! Food is definitely the place to start, I will tag a few members to help --- they will have some questions, but the best to do is avoid chicken and grains as most Bulldogs have issues with them.

I LOVE your 'hat' in your avatar picture ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
first off take a breath and then i would try the fromm pork n peas for a start its an all stages food or you can try one of the acana singles line with limited ingredients. it has one grain but steel cut oats are a really good grain. thing with bullies is what works for one wont work for another. this poor thing prolly has no immune system so i would get her on a vitamin right away and a probiotic. duoxo ps shampoo and pads are wonderful for all things skin related. if you cant get that lots here use apple cidar vinegar rinse when finishing the bath. oh and diatomaceous earth food grade is supposed to get rid of parasites in dogs. i mix it in some yogurt and give it as they are not supposed to breath in the powder. i have to go to work now so im sure more will be along shortly to help.

Last edited:

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Food can make a huge difference in our bullies. I use Fromm. Aubie loves it and does great on it. Anytime we've changed to anything else, even on the list here, she's had issues.

OP
MollysMommy

MollysMommy

Sep 10, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thank you :) She's pretty cute right?! ;)
Hi Amber and :welcome3: to EBN!!! Food is definitely the place to start, I will tag a few members to help --- they will have some questions, but the best to do is avoid chicken and grains as most Bulldogs have issues with them.

I LOVE your 'hat' in your avatar picture ;)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
It is definitely trial and error I have had this journey myself....we all probably have....my prayers are with you!! HUGS

OP
MollysMommy

MollysMommy

Sep 10, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Thank you for all the info! I agree that her immune system is probably non-existent at this point. I started her on a puppy multivitamin but her breeder told me it wasnt necessary. Can you recommend a good vitamin and probiotic? I've been using Burts Bees shampoo, before this skin infection, but now she is on a medicated shampoo, which has really helped clear up the rash with only one bath, but she is still itching like crazy. Any recommendations for the itching? What do I do with the apple, cidar vinegar rinse? How much of each? Is there a recipe somewhere? She is on antibiotics to get rid of parasites. Are you suggesting diatomaceous as a preventative?

first off take a breath and then i would try the fromm pork n peas for a start its an all stages food or you can try one of the acana singles line with limited ingredients. it has one grain but steel cut oats are a really good grain. thing with bullies is what works for one wont work for another. this poor thing prolly has no immune system so i would get her on a vitamin right away and a probiotic. duoxo ps shampoo and pads are wonderful for all things skin related. if you cant get that lots here use apple cidar vinegar rinse when finishing the bath. oh and diatomaceous earth food grade is supposed to get rid of parasites in dogs. i mix it in some yogurt and give it as they are not supposed to breath in the powder. i have to go to work now so im sure more will be along shortly to help.

OP
MollysMommy

MollysMommy

Sep 10, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
Which Fromm do you recommend? It seems from what I have read, that a lot of bully mommies use this.

Food can make a huge difference in our bullies. I use Fromm. Aubie loves it and does great on it. Anytime we've changed to anything else, even on the list here, she's had issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!!

It is definitely trial and error I have had this journey myself....we all probably have....my prayers are with you!! HUGS

L

Lucy-licious

welcome, and goodluck.
A good food is a great start to a healthier puppy. whichever food you choose go slowly with the switch...as sudden switches will cause tummy ache and diarrhoeah :(
You could also start her on some probiotic yoghurt...a good spoonful on her breakfast. mine love frozen yoghurt as a treat option :D

There will be lots of advice coming your way....and Molly is very cute :hug:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
First off :welcome to the site. As others have stated food can be the root of many issues related to our bullies so feeding a good one is important. So it is going to be some trail and error on your end but things will get better. Many members here myself included use Fromm's 4 star grain free food and have had great results. As for vitamins you have several choices there as well. Many members user either NuVet or HardyPet Complete. Both are good so another tough decision you will have to make. As for probiotics and such... Plain yogurt or Kefir. Molly will love you for it. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN! Your girl looks precious and I can totally understand your worry. I feed raw, so naturally I think that's the best, but cowsmom knows all kibble...
I also think that she needs a strong dose of pro- and pre-biotics to help her immune system. Her own good bacteria must be long gone with those antibiotics. IF her food is good (and Purina isn't) she shouldn't need any multivitamins, but now that she's been ill, a little extra will do no harm. You can also wash a dog too much. Their skins natural oils gets washed away and that can cause the itch too. I wash my dogs 2-3 times a year and they do not smell, just that you know;)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi Amber and welcome to you and Molly. You have already gotten some great advice. I agree a food switch to a better quality of food will help wonders with a lot of Molly's health problems. We switched our guys from Royal Canin ( from the Breeder) when our guys were 7 months old, I chose the Fromms Beef Fritata because my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. The Fromms Beef is grain free, and my two guys have been on this food 11 months now and are doing really great on it. I also agree with Sandra ( Cowsmom ) that it sounds like she has a weakened immune system, whether it's from birth, or from being on so many medications and antibiotics, there are many natural ways you can boost her immune system. Start with a high quality food, limit or don't give any store bought treats as they like the foods are full of additives, fillers, and preservatives, we give our guys cut up apples, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots and when we want to reward them, we give them a few pieces of their own kibble. You can also look at the recipes in the Nutrition forum for natural and healthy homemade treats, that use ingredients like applesauce, peanut butter, oats, and flour, and are very easy to make with only a few ingredients. When you make them yourself, you know what's in them.

There are also some natural supplements that you can give Molly that will boost her immune system such as we give our guys 1 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt in their kibble every morning, this is excellent for the probiotics which will give her the good bacteria, and boost her immune system, and is also good for her digestion. We also add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so helps to boost the immune system, and it balances the Ph balance in the body as well. It has a lot of other benefits as well, which I will copy and paste for you from the forum. You can also use apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water as a final rinse after you shampoo her, it is good for the skin, it removes the shampoo residue, and leaves the skin and coat soft and shiny. It also helps to keep them smelling nice longer in between baths.

Benefits of Apple cider vinegar
Current Article

[replacer_a]

By Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar on Jul 6, 2008 in Dr.Jeannie, Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff

Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Nature’s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe blood’s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dog’s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dog’s urine.

This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dog’s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.
Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your pet’s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dog’s coat.
Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the “mother” quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection —they have no health value!
Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., “Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System”, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. “Folk Medicine”, and“Arthritis and Folk Medicine”, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
Puotinen, C.J., “The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care” Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut

0 Comment(s)

Last edited:
OP
MollysMommy

MollysMommy

Sep 10, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
You all are so amazing!!! Thank you so much. I have truly felt lost and like my girl would be suffering forever. I'm so thankful to have found such an amazing support group. I think I am going to start with Fromm Pork & Peas. Thank you all so much!!!!! Please keep the advice coming! I'm all ears (or eyes in this case)! :D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You all are so amazing!!! Thank you so much. I have truly felt lost and like my girl would be suffering forever. I'm so thankful to have found such an amazing support group. I think I am going to start with Fromm Pork & Peas. Thank you all so much!!!!! Please keep the advice coming! I'm all ears (or eyes in this case)! :D

That's a great choice! Busters been on it for going on 4 months now and is fantastic! :welcome:

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

You are not alone. So many of us have gone through some or even all of what you are experiencing. You just got a heaping helping in one swoop..

OK.
ONE thing at a time.

Skin problems take time to resolve and get cleared up. As much as a year so don't fret too much. I had one dog that had horrible skin problems and had bald patches so bad. But all of the fur grew back and you can never even tell any problems existed. IN fact, her hair is even smoother and better now than before she went through the problem. I'm sure it was and is because of the better treatment of food, shampoos, etc.

AS for the apple cider vinegar, it is one product. After you bathe your dog, mix a 50/50 of just water and vinegar and slowly pour and rub into the coat. If you pour too fast, it just runs off and you waste it. Pour slow, rub...wait... spend time talking to your dog while you wait. Rinse with cold water. Towel dry. WE start all of our dogs and puppies using a blow dryer after the bath to help dry the skin faster and the mild heat kills any surface problems. They love it as an adult now and know to go into the puppy room which is where we keep the blow dryer. They will lay on the floor and ooohhh and ahhhh while getting blow dried.

AS for the food; many good suggestions above. Start slowly. Mix over the course of a week if possible to transition or else you have another issue to deal with. The top 3 star levels all have dog foods that work with bullies. But certainly stay away from the bottom tiers, anything with chicken (meal or product) and a grain-free is better. Adding in yogurt helps to stabilize the GI. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO LOOK AT THE POO EVERY TIME THEY GO. You can detect and catch problems way before they blow up just by knowing if there are any changes in the poo. Gross..yes.... but if you pick up as soon as they go, you will see it fresh. Any changes in color or texture can alert you to problems. Many go away on their own, but you will know something is going on. Also, picking up ASAP prevents flys, bugs and other problems from building up.

The eye problems are rather common and 99.9% of the time work out with no problems. Don't worry about that.

And finally, as for the immune system. You can't do anything about it know, but depending on when the puppy shots were given does play an important role. The puppy has no immune system when they are born. They receive antibodies from the mom from nursing. Was the mom properly vaccinated? Was anything passed on? The puppy/mom anitbody only works till around 8 weeks. This is the cross over period when puppies are very prone to problems. This is why giving puppy shots has to start early enough to start to build up immunity for that cross over period. Take a deep breath.

Your emotions tell your dog how you feel. Be positive and happy. Use your love to help get through this. This too shall pass.

Good Day~

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online