OP
bulldogmama2200

bulldogmama2200

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
LOL at the gas. I cannot tell you how obnoxious and atrocious Phoebe's gas is right now, and I'm NOT a first-time bulldog owner. It's totally disgusting, and I can't wait to "fix it" at least a little, haha :)

OP
bulldogmama2200

bulldogmama2200

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
We always put our pups on FROMM Puppy Gold until about 6 monthsof age. This time we had a picky eater and at 12 weeks of age she didn't like the puppy food so we switched her to the FROMM Pork & Peas, and then a week later switched her sister to the Pork & Peas too and they are doing well on it. So you could go with either one. Feed three times a day for about 6 months and then switch to 2 times a week, feeding the dame amount but twice a day.

Thank you so much. Though "2 times a week" might leave her a bit hungry ;)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
LOL at the gas. I cannot tell you how obnoxious and atrocious Phoebe's gas is right now, and I'm NOT a first-time bulldog owner. It's totally disgusting, and I can't wait to "fix it" at least a little, haha :)

Adding non fat yogurt/ greek or even better plain Kefir will help with the gas issues. We give Fergus 2 tbs of kefir every day. For a 11 week old maybe start slow like 1 teaspoon until she turns 4 month. Yah when Fergus came to us on from the breeder he could clear a room with his gas and his poops was nasty :excited:

OP
bulldogmama2200

bulldogmama2200

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
Adding non fat yogurt/ greek or even better plain Kefir will help with the gas issues. We give Fergus 2 tbs of kefir every day. For a 11 week old maybe start slow like 1 teaspoon until she turns 4 month. Yah when Fergus came to us on from the breeder he could clear a room with his gas and his poops was nasty :excited:

Sounds exactly like what we're dealing with here. We did not have this issue with our first bulldog. Sure, he had typical bulldog gas - but nothing like this in the smell or poop department - truly sickening!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi Cathy and welcome to you and Phoebe, and congratulations. I love her name, so cute. Sorry to hear about the loss of your male EB baby. So glad you joined EBN. You will love it on this a site, there's lots of great information, and even greater people who are always willing to answer your questions ans share their experiences. Wow you've really done your homework, great job, and you are correct in everything you've read. Good job mama. I too switched my two from the food the breeder had them on when I brought them home, they were getting Royal Canin, and I wasn't happy with the fillers and corn that were in the ingredients, plus chicken was its protein source, and my female Blossom as we came to learn is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. Like yourself I started to research dog foods on the Internet, and that's how I found this site, and I joined. Now to answer your questions,

At 11 weeks old its best to keep Phoebe on a puppy formula as these formulas have the extra calories, fat, vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. It is best to keep them on this until the age of 6 or 7 months old. We switched our guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old. Fromm's has a puppy formula called Fromm's Puppy Gold, but it is chicken based. Fromm's is an all stages dog food, and they say you can use this food for all stages, they have 4 flavours, and you can feed and interchange all the flavours without having to do the slow transition. We opted for the Beef because Blossom can't have chicken or salmon. We fed Bulldozer and Blossom 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until the age of 7 months, and then we reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, and eliminated the afternoon feeding. They get 1 cup at 6:30 am, and 1 cup at 6:30 pm. We also give them toppers or extras, but I would wait until Phoebe is a little older before giving her the extras, and if you decide to give her these, start with one at a time, so you know which one doesn't agree with her or she doesnt tolerate, or gives her any allergic reactions. We give our guys 2 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, this is good for the probiotics, and their digestion, and so it boosts their immune system, we also give them Omega oils in their evening kibble, we use salmon oil for Dozer, but Blossom is allergic to salmon, so she gets cod liver oil instead. This is good for their skin, coat and fur, we add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, and so is good for the joints, as well as a preventative of many diseases, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels in the blood. You can read about the many health benefits of ACV on the forum as well. We also use ACV mixed with warm water to rinse them after their baths, it leaves their fur soft and reduces the soap residue. It also keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths.
We don't give our guys any store bought treats, instead we give them, natural treats like cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, baby carrots, broccoli, green beans, and when we are training them or want to come, we reward or bribe them lol with a few pieces of their own kibble. We occasionally make our own natural dog treats from the recipes found on this site, they have treats with ingredients like oats, peanut butter, bananas, apples, and other natural ingredients. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
OP
bulldogmama2200

bulldogmama2200

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
:welcome3:Hi Cathy and welcome to you and Phoebe, and congratulations. I love her name, so cute. Sorry to hear about the loss of your male EB baby. So glad you joined EBN. You will love it on this a site, there's lots of great information, and even greater people who are always willing to answer your questions ans share their experiences. Wow you've really done your homework, great job, and you are correct in everything you've read. Good job mama. I too switched my two from the food the breeder had them on when I brought them home, they were getting Royal Canin, and I wasn't happy with the fillers and corn that were in the ingredients, plus chicken was its protein source, and my female Blossom as we came to learn is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. Like yourself I started to research dog foods on the Internet, and that's how I found this site, and I joined. Now to answer your questions,

At 11 weeks old its best to keep Phoebe on a puppy formula as these formulas have the extra calories, fat, vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. It is best to keep them on this until the age of 6 or 7 months old. We switched our guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old. Fromm's has a puppy formula called Fromm's Puppy Gold, but it is chicken based. Fromm's is an all stages dog food, and they say you can use this food for all stages, they have 4 flavours, and you can feed and interchange all the flavours without having to do the slow transition. We opted for the Beef because Blossom can't have chicken or salmon. We fed Bulldozer and Blossom 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until the age of 7 months, and then we reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, and eliminated the afternoon feeding. They get 1 cup at 6:30 am, and 1 cup at 6:30 pm. We also give them toppers or extras, but I would wait until Phoebe is a little older before giving her the extras, and if you decide to give her these, start with one at a time, so you know which one doesn't agree with her or she doesnt tolerate, or gives her any allergic reactions. We give our guys 2 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, this is good for the probiotics, and their digestion, and so it boosts their immune system, we also give them Omega oils in their evening kibble, we use salmon oil for Dozer, but Blossom is allergic to salmon, so she gets cod liver oil instead. This is good for their skin, coat and fur, we add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, and so is good for the joints, as well as a preventative of many diseases, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels in the blood. You can read about the many health benefits of ACV on the forum as well. We also use ACV mixed with warm water to rinse them after their baths, it leaves their fur soft and reduces the soap residue. It also keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths.
We don't give our guys any store bought treats, instead we give them, natural treats like cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, baby carrots, broccoli, green beans, and when we are training them or want to come, we reward or bribe them lol with a few pieces of their own kibble. We occasionally make our own natural dog treats from the recipes found on this site, they have treats with ingredients like oats, peanut butter, bananas, apples, and other natural ingredients. I hope this helps you.

This is all great. Thank you so much.

You said to stick with puppy formula but you also said your pup couldn't do chicken and the fromms puppy has chicken. So what did you feed prior to 7 months?

It seems like there are different points if view on offering the all stages food to a pup as young as Phoebe. Trying to sort this all out. Really appreciate your thorough reply.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

You could add a separate probiotic to her food to help that issue too. Plain greek yogurt, or some kefir or Pearls. that sort of thing.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
No you are not wrong. The Fromm's 4 star line has both grain free and food with grains in it and the last time I looked the pork and peas did not have chicken in it but i don't have the bag in front of me so I could be wrong. We have an 18 week old pup and being that the Fromm's 4 star line is an all stages food we are beginning to switch her over early than we wanted to but it is in an effort to control and hopefully reduce the flare ups of a condition our baby was diagnosed with recently.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We started Winston off w/the Fromm's Puppy Gold & at about 6 mos gradually switched him to the Beef. This last bag I ordered the Pork & Peas and he seems to be doing great... I also give him a tablespoon of plain Greek yogurt to help w/the digestive issues. We had him originally on Blue Buffalo & the gas was outrageous!!! Food is really trial & error... each bully is different!!! Good Luck ;)

OP
bulldogmama2200

bulldogmama2200

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Phoebe
Thank you for all of the added input. I really do appreciate it.

We had to change our previous bulldog's food a time or two, but it's been a while. I do 25/75 for 2 days then 50/50 for 3 days then 75/25 for 2 days, then 100% new food?

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We just finished switching June over to Fromms Puppy Gold (she will 14 weeks this week). The ratio you have is the same as what our vet recommended. We took a little longer though so we could finish using the old bag of food. She was on Eukanuba Puppy (lamb) from her breeder which she was doing fine on, but based on the low star ratings we decided to switch. She also has bad tear stains, so we're going to see if this food helps after about a month. She has never had a gas problem, luckily, or maybe she doesn't do it when i'm around haha. We will probably switch to the beef frittata or pork and peas flavor in a couple of months.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.