Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 32

Thread: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

  1. #13
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Ashleym's Avatar
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    848
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Hi and cant wait to see pictures of your new baby. You got some great info so far. We did a slow transition from Royal Canine Bulldog puppy formula (breeder food) to Fromm 4 star no grain beef Fritatta when we got Fergus at 10 weeks old. Gave him 1 cup 3 times a day until he turned 6 months. We then cut his food down to 2 1/2 cup divided into 2 servings. He rotates between the Beef and Pork and Peas grain free Fromm. We also add to his kibbles 1 tbs of coconut oil in the morning and 1 tbs of fish oil for dinner. He also gets fruits and vegi as treats. If you intend to add toppers to her kibbles introduce slowly and one at a time to see if she has any reactions.

  2. #14
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Ashleym's Avatar
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    848
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmama2200 View Post
    Now I'm more confused, LOL. I'm on the Fromm page, and they have quite a few four star recipes listed. Half are listed as grain-free: pork & peas, salmon tunalini, game bird recipe, beef frittata veg, surf & turf, while half are listed as containing grains: chicken a la veg, duck & sweet potato, pork & applesauce, salmon a la veg, whitefish & potato.

    Also, I don't see chicken in the pork & peas one. Am I wrong, and missing a lot here? It's very possible, as tired as I am right now

    Pork and Pea and Beef Frittata are the only formula with no grain and no chicken. You can rotate between all the grain free without having to do a slow transition. The food cost more but it is worth it. Fergus has no issues with Yeast and when he farts lol they dont smell so bad

  3. #15
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmama2200 View Post
    Now I'm more confused, LOL. I'm on the Fromm page, and they have quite a few four star recipes listed. Half are listed as grain-free: pork & peas, salmon tunalini, game bird recipe, beef frittata veg, surf & turf, while half are listed as containing grains: chicken a la veg, duck & sweet potato, pork & applesauce, salmon a la veg, whitefish & potato.

    Also, I don't see chicken in the pork & peas one. Am I wrong, and missing a lot here? It's very possible, as tired as I am right now
    The four Star are the grain free ones. I don't think the pork and peas has chicken..it's a new formula, we didnt try. Only the four Star are interchangeable proteins.

  4. #16
    Newbie bulldogmama2200's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cathy
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Phoebe
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Thank you so much!

  5. #17
    Newbie bulldogmama2200's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cathy
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Phoebe
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    LOL at the gas. I cannot tell you how obnoxious and atrocious Phoebe's gas is right now, and I'm NOT a first-time bulldog owner. It's totally disgusting, and I can't wait to "fix it" at least a little, haha

  6. #18
    Newbie bulldogmama2200's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cathy
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Phoebe
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    We always put our pups on FROMM Puppy Gold until about 6 monthsof age. This time we had a picky eater and at 12 weeks of age she didn't like the puppy food so we switched her to the FROMM Pork & Peas, and then a week later switched her sister to the Pork & Peas too and they are doing well on it. So you could go with either one. Feed three times a day for about 6 months and then switch to 2 times a week, feeding the dame amount but twice a day.
    Thank you so much. Though "2 times a week" might leave her a bit hungry

  7. #19
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Ashleym's Avatar
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    848
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmama2200 View Post
    LOL at the gas. I cannot tell you how obnoxious and atrocious Phoebe's gas is right now, and I'm NOT a first-time bulldog owner. It's totally disgusting, and I can't wait to "fix it" at least a little, haha

    Adding non fat yogurt/ greek or even better plain Kefir will help with the gas issues. We give Fergus 2 tbs of kefir every day. For a 11 week old maybe start slow like 1 teaspoon until she turns 4 month. Yah when Fergus came to us on from the breeder he could clear a room with his gas and his poops was nasty

  8. #20
    Newbie bulldogmama2200's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cathy
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Phoebe
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashleym View Post
    Adding non fat yogurt/ greek or even better plain Kefir will help with the gas issues. We give Fergus 2 tbs of kefir every day. For a 11 week old maybe start slow like 1 teaspoon until she turns 4 month. Yah when Fergus came to us on from the breeder he could clear a room with his gas and his poops was nasty
    Sounds exactly like what we're dealing with here. We did not have this issue with our first bulldog. Sure, he had typical bulldog gas - but nothing like this in the smell or poop department - truly sickening!

  9. #21
    Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Ashleym's Avatar
    Location
    So. Calif.
    Posts
    848
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmama2200 View Post
    Thank you so much. Though "2 times a week" might leave her a bit hungry

    haha good catch!
    Last edited by Ashleym; 09-10-2013 at 12:02 AM.

  10. #22
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmama2200 View Post
    Thank you so much. Though "2 times a week" might leave her a bit hungry


  11. #23
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,639
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Hi Cathy and welcome to you and Phoebe, and congratulations. I love her name, so cute. Sorry to hear about the loss of your male EB baby. So glad you joined EBN. You will love it on this a site, there's lots of great information, and even greater people who are always willing to answer your questions ans share their experiences. Wow you've really done your homework, great job, and you are correct in everything you've read. Good job mama. I too switched my two from the food the breeder had them on when I brought them home, they were getting Royal Canin, and I wasn't happy with the fillers and corn that were in the ingredients, plus chicken was its protein source, and my female Blossom as we came to learn is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. Like yourself I started to research dog foods on the Internet, and that's how I found this site, and I joined. Now to answer your questions,

    At 11 weeks old its best to keep Phoebe on a puppy formula as these formulas have the extra calories, fat, vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. It is best to keep them on this until the age of 6 or 7 months old. We switched our guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old. Fromm's has a puppy formula called Fromm's Puppy Gold, but it is chicken based. Fromm's is an all stages dog food, and they say you can use this food for all stages, they have 4 flavours, and you can feed and interchange all the flavours without having to do the slow transition. We opted for the Beef because Blossom can't have chicken or salmon. We fed Bulldozer and Blossom 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until the age of 7 months, and then we reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, and eliminated the afternoon feeding. They get 1 cup at 6:30 am, and 1 cup at 6:30 pm. We also give them toppers or extras, but I would wait until Phoebe is a little older before giving her the extras, and if you decide to give her these, start with one at a time, so you know which one doesn't agree with her or she doesnt tolerate, or gives her any allergic reactions. We give our guys 2 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, this is good for the probiotics, and their digestion, and so it boosts their immune system, we also give them Omega oils in their evening kibble, we use salmon oil for Dozer, but Blossom is allergic to salmon, so she gets cod liver oil instead. This is good for their skin, coat and fur, we add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, and so is good for the joints, as well as a preventative of many diseases, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels in the blood. You can read about the many health benefits of ACV on the forum as well. We also use ACV mixed with warm water to rinse them after their baths, it leaves their fur soft and reduces the soap residue. It also keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths.
    We don't give our guys any store bought treats, instead we give them, natural treats like cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, baby carrots, broccoli, green beans, and when we are training them or want to come, we reward or bribe them lol with a few pieces of their own kibble. We occasionally make our own natural dog treats from the recipes found on this site, they have treats with ingredients like oats, peanut butter, bananas, apples, and other natural ingredients. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 09-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  12. #24
    Newbie bulldogmama2200's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cathy
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    12
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Phoebe
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 11 week old pup. Feeding questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Cathy and welcome to you and Phoebe, and congratulations. I love her name, so cute. Sorry to hear about the loss of your male EB baby. So glad you joined EBN. You will love it on this a site, there's lots of great information, and even greater people who are always willing to answer your questions ans share their experiences. Wow you've really done your homework, great job, and you are correct in everything you've read. Good job mama. I too switched my two from the food the breeder had them on when I brought them home, they were getting Royal Canin, and I wasn't happy with the fillers and corn that were in the ingredients, plus chicken was its protein source, and my female Blossom as we came to learn is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. Like yourself I started to research dog foods on the Internet, and that's how I found this site, and I joined. Now to answer your questions,

    At 11 weeks old its best to keep Phoebe on a puppy formula as these formulas have the extra calories, fat, vitamins and minerals needed for the rapid growth and development of a puppy. It is best to keep them on this until the age of 6 or 7 months old. We switched our guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata, when they were 7 months old. Fromm's has a puppy formula called Fromm's Puppy Gold, but it is chicken based. Fromm's is an all stages dog food, and they say you can use this food for all stages, they have 4 flavours, and you can feed and interchange all the flavours without having to do the slow transition. We opted for the Beef because Blossom can't have chicken or salmon. We fed Bulldozer and Blossom 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, until the age of 7 months, and then we reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, and eliminated the afternoon feeding. They get 1 cup at 6:30 am, and 1 cup at 6:30 pm. We also give them toppers or extras, but I would wait until Phoebe is a little older before giving her the extras, and if you decide to give her these, start with one at a time, so you know which one doesn't agree with her or she doesnt tolerate, or gives her any allergic reactions. We give our guys 2 Tbsp of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble, this is good for the probiotics, and their digestion, and so it boosts their immune system, we also give them Omega oils in their evening kibble, we use salmon oil for Dozer, but Blossom is allergic to salmon, so she gets cod liver oil instead. This is good for their skin, coat and fur, we add 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as it is a natural anti inflammatory, and so is good for the joints, as well as a preventative of many diseases, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels in the blood. You can read about the many health benefits of ACV on the forum as well. We also use ACV mixed with warm water to rinse them after their baths, it leaves their fur soft and reduces the soap residue. It also keeps them smelling nicer longer in between their baths.
    We don't give our guys any store bought treats, instead we give them, natural treats like cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, cheese strings, plain unsweetened yogurt, baby carrots, broccoli, green beans, and when we are training them or want to come, we reward or bribe them lol with a few pieces of their own kibble. We occasionally make our own natural dog treats from the recipes found on this site, they have treats with ingredients like oats, peanut butter, bananas, apples, and other natural ingredients. I hope this helps you.
    This is all great. Thank you so much.

    You said to stick with puppy formula but you also said your pup couldn't do chicken and the fromms puppy has chicken. So what did you feed prior to 7 months?

    It seems like there are different points if view on offering the all stages food to a pup as young as Phoebe. Trying to sort this all out. Really appreciate your thorough reply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •