Feeding the Seniors

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Hello,
Hooligan is my 12yo boy and right now, I cook for him. He gets 50% protein(it's fish as he cannot tolerate chicken And we didn't try another protein yet) 25% carb (we like sweet potato) and 25% veggie (squash, spinach). I also throw some blueberries in as well.

He has DJD all over. He's had shockwave treatments, platelet rich plasma injections, cold laser therapy, and goes to acupuncture. His acupuncture vet is also his nutritionist. Recently he has lost 3lbs in a week and while we are going to do bloodwork to rule out anything major, we're working on increasing his calories.

i added 1egg a day, some evoo. He gets 1 banana a day. I just think what i cook is so low fat/low cal. We upped from 2 to 3 cups over the course of the day. He is a taller bulldog and currently weighs 51. I'd like him at 55. He has a waist but its just a little too girlish for my liking. :)

i like what I've read about Fromm's. do you think I should supplement any of that in? He developed a very sensative stomach last November and diet change and cooked meals have healed the belly.

all advice greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged some of our raw and holistic members to help you

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I definedly would add a lot of fat in to the diet and if fish is the only protein source then different types of fish. Also a multivitamin is in order if you don't give any organs or bone. Egg is good and give with shell. Are the veggies cooked, pureed or how do you prepare them?

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
I definedly would add a lot of fat in to the diet and if fish is the only protein source then different types of fish. Also a multivitamin is in order if you don't give any organs or bone. Egg is good and give with shell. Are the veggies cooked, pureed or how do you prepare them?
He takes calcium supplements, taurine, lots of herbs, fish oil, platinum performance, actistatin or Dasuquin. We have everyting charted and graphed!

I put the veggies in the crock pot and cook them down, then purée them all together.

OP
Natalie Angstadt

Natalie Angstadt

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooligan
Forgot to add his acupuncturist did recommend organ meat but I've been so gun shy to do it. I better get over it :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.