Z D Diet

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
Hello, I've done a lot of reading on this forum. Have learned a lot. Wish I'd of found this a year ago. :confused:I adopted Aspen October 2012. My understanding Aspen was a mess for her first year, she will be two this October. The people that I adopted her from pretty much had her allergies, stomach issues and diet under control, they adopted her from her first owner because that owner could not afford to take care of her properly. I was told by the prior owner and her vet that she would be on zd diet for the rest of her life, was satisfied with that until I started reading all the information on here and how toxic that dog food is. I really don't want to put her system in a tailspin so am very open to any help to a brand of food that would be good for her system. Thanks in advance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for giving her a new home and taking the time to research and find what is right for her. I tagged a few members to help wi the food search

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Is she having problems with this food? Has it helped her? The reason I ask is because ALL Bully's react differently to food. I would put more weight behind how SHE is doing on the ood, NOT the ratings of it. We have Bully's that do fine on Royal Canin..and it's definitely NOT a good food...but if your Bully is doing ok..why upset the apple cart? Odds are change I'll become a necessity down the road..seems like the "perfect" food is a constantly revolving search.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

OP
A

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
She seems to be doing ok, she still scratches at her ears sometimes, and she seems extremely constipated at times. I just worry about what I've read about the food. I walk her daily for short walks sometimes that helps, we go threw a lot of pumpkin!

- - - Updated - - -

She seems to be doing ok, she still scratches at her ears sometimes, and she seems extremely constipated at times. I just worry about what I've read about the food. I walk her daily for short walks sometimes that helps, we go threw a lot of pumpkin!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I think I finally found a good combination for Sheldon. It has been a search for me too. Also if she is having problems with the food switch her to homemade until it calms down.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@JAKEISGREAT I think I finally found a good combination for Sheldon. It has been a search for me too. Also if she is having problems with the food switch her to homemade until it calms down.

:up: That's great! Sweet Sheldon has a good mommy!

- - - Updated - - -

Well..that's not comfortable! Dang...we have some very experienced members who will be along, I'm sure..they can help you with deciding where to start. I think [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has something good for constipation and Cowsmom will be here too and is great on food. The ear scratching can be Enviromental too..the food isn't the ideal choice..for sure...but I was hoping she was doing ok on it...let's see what others that really know food can do for you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok do you have any info on what the dog was on before? would help decide whats next but if not thats ok to you have this to fall back on if the new food doesnt work and most of us dont have that option. the fromm pork n peas is a big hit here and zignature has limited ingredients foods also. they do protein and peas mostly. peas seem to be a good place to start. you could also home cook. i am doing that for sarah as ive been threw a slew of dog foods to no avail. if nothing else it does help find out what they are allergic to. i started with white rice and went from there since she was supposedly allergic to most grain free things. you can do peas potato sweet potato if you prefer to start grain free. if kibble i would just add a bit at a time like 1/4 new 3/4 old and then 1/2 and 1/2 and so on. sometimes i just throw a handful in for a few days as sarah is so allergic. if you need more help im around.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hey there...
just a quick note about my guys. I have tried and tried to have them on something more 'natural' , but their allergies get the best of me (and them) everytime. Without going through every exhausting detail, I finally went with Z/D prescription food just to get them level and off antibiotics, etc. They did NOT react well to it at all - even hydrolyzed animal protein wasn't good. I put them on Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic HP about a year ago, and I haven't looked back since. Just now I am having an environmental issue with Wilbur (probably ragweed, 'tis the season here!). I know HP is an "engineered" food, but I trust my vet and honestly my dogs look awesome and I have no skin or digestive issues.
Perhaps if the Z/D isn't working, and you're like I was (end of my rope!) with highly allergic fur kids, then maybe the HP would work? It is an hydrolyzed soy protein and they are doing great on it (touch wood).....

OP
A

aspen2012

Aug 23, 2013
New Mexico
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Aspen
Thanks to all for the great information. I think I'm going to try cooking for her for awhile and see if that helps the constipation, and then try Medi-Cal.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all for the great information. I think I'm going to try cooking for her for awhile and see if that helps the constipation, and then try Medi-Cal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.