horahub

Sep 4, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but not new to the Bulldog. I have owned 2, (1 has passed) and seems like I have not found the perfect food for either one. I use Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free (started out on Eukanuba and Victor). I am having issues with shedding and odor. I bathe them only when necessary and with oatmeal shampoo. Neither dog has excessively scratched, or had yeast problems. However the one that Passed did have a random bald spot that appeared out of nowhere and for no reason from time to time. The vet would scrape the skin and run test and couldn't seem to find anything wrong that would cause the heavy shedding and odor or random bald spots. I need some good advice please. Thank you in advance.

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Sounds like allergies and yeast problems...Im going through that right now with my bully. Im about to switch her to a grain free homemade dog food. I would back away from grains since they cause the smelly smells which is normally a sign of yeast. And oatmeal shampoo from what I learned is worsening the problem since it's an oat. I have several forums I've posted go look at them and you'll find some answers. Hope everything works out!

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
I had a Bulldog vet tell me the same thing ...no oatmeal washes. She suggested a dog shampoo called "The Wash" purshase on the internet, i have not tried (sorry) i use reg. Nutragena human shampoo for 8 years 3 different EBD's no problem. Realize dogs have different PHB than humans. Anyway hope not to confuse too much....look into "The Wash" good luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The food you are feeding is a good food, but it might not agree with them, finding the right food is always a challenge. We feed FROMM Pork and Peas and they are doing fine. We tried FROMM Beef Fritata and all but one did OK on it, we tried another protein and that one did fine and another one didn't, so now they all are doing OK on the Pork and Peas. Some bullies just shed like crazy and some don't. I have two that shed like crazy year round and the others don't. You can also use baby shampoo too, it works pretty well. What does you bullies smell like? is it just dog smell or a different smell, like corn chips? If it is like corn chips that is yeast and a vinegar rinse will help with that. Rinse in a half water, half vinegar, solution and leave it on, then dry them. Hope this helps

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well...we use and have ALWAYS used Oatmeal shampoo,(with Aloe) with no side effects. My vet, also a Bully vet, recommended it. Lol! So..what works for one....now..just so everyone knows, Baby shampoo is harsher than most shampoos. They just took out what burns the eyes, but it's full of detergents. My hubby used to work for a cosmetic manufacturer..and was shocked at the formulary.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice given. The right kind of food and shampoo and your Bully can and will smell like a clean healthy puppy. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They just took out what burns the eyes, but it's full of detergents. My hubby used to work for a cosmetic manufacturer..and was shocked at the formula.

REALLY.... I never knew that? Never really had to think about it either, but I guess it should not be a surprise that the 'baby' shampoo is nothing but an advertising gimick

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
REALLY.... I never knew that? Never really had to think about it either, but I guess it should not be a surprise that the 'baby' shampoo is nothing but an advertising gimick
Ya! It's just like other shampoos..but without the eye stinging stuff. Now this is One brand..the BIG brand..lol..and there are some natural ones out there.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you may just need a bit of tweeking on the food. some bullies just shed and some dont. sarah doesnt thank goodness. you could try a different protein.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.