Help Needed! Allergen-free foods

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
We took our bully to the vet today and they suggested that we start her on z/d prescription diet... :( since weve had so many issues going on with her.. Anyone else tried this?? or is there another type of food that would be similar that we could use... :) thanks for help in advance

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
THere is no food that is totally alergen free for every dog. Vets are always pushing what they sell and from what I have heard, Science Diet is NOT a very good food. I hate that Vets do that.
Tell us a bit more about Big Momma and her diet now. We have some members that pride themselves in their knowledge of bully foods and will try to help. Please don't switch her to prescription food just yet.

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
THere is no food that is totally alergen free for every dog. Vets are always pushing what they sell and from what I have heard, Science Diet is NOT a very good food. I hate that Vets do that.
Tell us a bit more about Big Momma and her diet now. We have some members that pride themselves in their knowledge of bully foods and will try to help. Please don't switch her to prescription food just yet.

oh my where do i begin.. shes had 3 cherry eye operations so far (prior to us getting her) and was told today that we would need to have surgery on her right lower lid soon.. we have her on grain free foods.. right now is pro plan twice a day not sure what kind it is something else someone suggested.. she has a tablespoon of yogurt in one feeding each day.. she has a fish oil, cranberry pill, beneydral, milk thistle, and a vitamin c pill each day.. we are bathing her in anitbactieral soap along with betadine because shes had "hot spots", "fugus" and now "yeast" which its getting better.. she dribbles often so she gets her private area clean daily with soap and water, vasaline and then diaper rash cream to help keep the area from becoming inflamed.. today shes suppose to start clavomox for her skin/bladder issue along with miconazole cream and neopolydex for her eye...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
These diets I think we developed to have "Not enough of anything" in it to cause an allergic reaction. But the problem is they are full of junk and terrible for the long term health of your bully. And most bully owners know, if they have an allergy to beef for example, it only takes a small amount to cause a reaction. Bullys are just different when it comes to allergies.

I am not sure if it's allergies but if it is anything else I would certainly stay away from that food.

Check out the article on allergies, as well as the recommended dog foods. Both give great resources for possible choices. Hang in there, I hope it will help!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?203-Our-Top-5-Recommended-Dog-Food-Choices

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Im thinking the hotspots and yeast is due to the Pro Plan food! If you switch her to a grain free it will help with the yeast issues and possibly the hot spot! I would switch her to a better quality food and take it from there!

Oh poor thing with the operation on her eye... Im just curious why did they have to do 3 ops?

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
I know all too well how bad prescription diets are. Stay away from buying Hills, and explore any other type of food (RAW, home cooked, grain-free). I currently have 2 bullies that are on Hills U/D (Bladder Stones), which I am trying to go to a home made diet designed by a dietitian (once they are off steroids for long enough they can have allergy tests) . Both have allergy problems (hot spots, licking, eye goobers, etc..) which they did not have before when I fed them a Grain-Free diet (Earthborn).

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Im thinking the hotspots and yeast is due to the Pro Plan food! If you switch her to a grain free it will help with the yeast issues and possibly the hot spot! I would switch her to a better quality food and take it from there!

Oh poor thing with the operation on her eye... Im just curious why did they have to do 3 ops?

we had her on a grain free food which it didn't help either.. she had 1 in left eye and then 2 in the right eye.. Was told that the 2nd time in the right eye was because it came back..

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
I know all too well how bad prescription diets are. Stay away from buying Hills, and explore any other type of food (RAW, home cooked, grain-free). I currently have 2 bullies that are on Hills U/D (Bladder Stones), which I am trying to go to a home made diet designed by a dietitian (once they are off steroids for long enough they can have allergy tests) . Both have allergy problems (hot spots, licking, eye goobers, etc..) which they did not have before when I fed them a Grain-Free diet (Earthborn).

I have a friend that has her bully on pro plan since the day they got her.. she has no issues what so ever.. i just feel l got a bad apple.. :( your bully sounds just like what mines is going thru.. :( her next visit we are going to do a allergy test but first they want to try the antibotics and cream first to get her skin under control.. yesterday was the first day we started on creams and this morning her open wounds were scabbed over as if they were healing :) so that is working and i havent seen her scratch since the first time weve put it on..

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
I feel for you and know all to well what you are going through. My Daisey has some really bad allergy problems going on (and had them prior to us for the whole 2 years she has been alive). She more or less can self mutilate herself (scratch holes in her face/head or lick holes in her feet/body) in the matter of a few minutes. Since we got her at the end of February (she is a back yard breeder rescue) she has been to the vet at least 10 times for the problems (which I think are chicken related). What complicates everything is the bladder stones and trying to find a diet to keep them in check (keep the purines down). She was doing really well when we were trying to go to a RAW diet, but the cost for feeding our 5 dogs was pretty expensive.

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
I feel for you and know all to well what you are going through. My Daisey has some really bad allergy problems going on (and had them prior to us for the whole 2 years she has been alive). She more or less can self mutilate herself (scratch holes in her face/head or lick holes in her feet/body) in the matter of a few minutes. Since we got her at the end of February (she is a back yard breeder rescue) she has been to the vet at least 10 times for the problems (which I think are chicken related). What complicates everything is the bladder stones and trying to find a diet to keep them in check (keep the purines down). She was doing really well when we were trying to go to a RAW diet, but the cost for feeding our 5 dogs was pretty expensive.

I totally understand you... i would find spots of blood on floors, her bed, blankets etc... i didn't know what on earth was wrong.. i started shaving her down in those spots to dry them out :( our neighbors were kinda worried for her the first few times they seen her.. thinking we weren't taking care of her properly i even had animal control called on me once from the folks across the street.. thats why i keep all and any reciepts from vet visits.. im sure theyve been called a few times even after by folks passing by when she goes out to use the restroom but they know the situation now... we can only do in our power
my friends bully gets fed raw hamburger meat with brown rice and peas we tried that a couple of times but ours didn't like it she would put it in her mouth and spit it out. :( and just for that bit for ingredients was the cost of my lunch for week!

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luckily for us, none of my neighbors have ever said anything (they know most of our 5 dogs are rescues/have problems). But I can tell you I was kind of worried about what people would say at Meetup events and just out in the public (Pet stores, makets, etc..). We also have a disabled boy that has some skin issues (hot spots from allergies) and is in a wheelchair to add into the mix. Our experiences have been nothing but positive. In fact, the main reason that I am here is because at one of our first Meetup events in Wisconsin we met two of the most wonderful bully people in this world (BruceP and LariP). Without ever meeting them, I would have probably never found this site.

OP
emilymtz86

emilymtz86

Jul 22, 2013
Waco, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Momma
Luckily for us, none of my neighbors have ever said anything (they know most of our 5 dogs are rescues/have problems). But I can tell you I was kind of worried about what people would say at Meetup events and just out in the public (Pet stores, makets, etc..). We also have a disabled boy that has some skin issues (hot spots from allergies) and is in a wheelchair to add into the mix. Our experiences have been nothing but positive. In fact, the main reason that I am here is because at one of our first Meetup events in Wisconsin we met two of the most wonderful bully people in this world (BruceP and LariP). Without ever meeting them, I would have probably never found this site.
This site has alot of useful information! an caring people im glad i found this site :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im sorry im late but ive been without puter for a few days. what grain free food did you have her on? was it a limited ingredient diet? pro plan is not very good food but probably has nothing in it she is allergic to so it seems to be working and it probably is but is not good for long term health just read the ingredients. probably alot of corn and by product this and digest that. what do you have available can you order something or is it just petco or petsmart. nvi has several limited ingredients diets as does zignature and nutrisource. just protein and peas. i have also found with these things that making home made food to test for allergies has got me much farther with sarah than anything has even the allergy test. im not saying to not get it but allergies change over time sometimes. i started out with rice then brown rice then millet but you can do sweet potato or peas to test. finding your bullies protein they tolerate is the first thing to do imo. then work out from there. it seems that you have stuff for the skin issues but duoxo pads and duoxo ps shampoo are wonderful for these things. hot spots are bacteria and should be treated with things for bacteria. ok im always around if you need more help.

Most Reactions