Help Needed! HELP!! Yeasty smelling bully

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Gypsy is 2 years old and has been on Nutro Natural choice chicken and brown rice since a puppy. We've had no issues with it, Well a couple months ago I started noticing way more shedding then normal and her skin full of bumps, red and irritated. So I figured it was fleas so I got her on her normal flea med Comfotis. But I started noticing that she kept itching then rubbing her butt on the carpet and then hair loss and flaky skin and scabs all over her. I've noticed a smell in our home and her that is yeasty and nasty and we've had to get air sprayers so our home isnt smelly, Its coming from her. I bought an allergy shampoo (veterinary formula clinical care Oatmeal and tea tree oil infuser by Synergy labs) and give her a bath once a week but it hasn't helped at all and she still smells after I shampoo her. I have noticed also that her paws seemed stained with a light reddish color like if she was diggin in red clay dirt. Her fur looks unhealthy it's oily smelly and thinning and it used to be full lush and thick and never smelly. What can this be and what should I do? I really want to have her back to normal I know shes not feeling well. I do have an appointment on Thursday with her vet but would love to hear some of your similar experiences with this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
usually around two is when more allergies show their stripes.... may be time for a food change. Maybe, change the protein and go with something grain free -- slow switch. also, clean her paws with apple cider vinegar -- there is a thread on here about how to use it
@Sherry @cowsmom

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Christine gave you good advice! We had this issue with Chanel (non-pitbull) Before I found EBN she was eating Pedigree :barf: I know! Since switching her to grain free with less fillers and bi products she doesnt smell like old fritos anymore! Sometimes the food is the main culprit! I would definatley go grain free and see how it works out! A lot of memebers feed Fromm and have good results with it! They make a grain free line with different flavors to choose from!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ayyy , sounds very uncomfortable , poor thing, I bet her immune system is down and the stress of itching can make it even worse. Many are allergic to grain, oatmeal shampoo is a grain base.

IMO I would start her with a shampoo of Original Blue Dawn and White vinegar. You said she has oily coat. Mix in one cup of water, 3 tablespoons of Dawn , use this as a shampoo, make sure you rinse her well. Then in 1 gallon of water add 1 cup of white vinegar. Pour this over her and leave it on. Dry with a towel and she's good to go. Do this about every 10 days. Also give her Benadryl 25 mg per 25 pounds twice a day. 1 vitamin C tablet a day, and 1 Zinc tablet a day.
do this until you notice her hair growing in, then back off on the bath's .
continue to keep her clean but be careful not to dry her out too much. I wouldn't bother to brush her yet either.

Please let me know how you make out, and keep me posted.

Antibiotics will also run down her immune system when they are completed

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Thanks everyone for the advice I will deff start her on a new diet grain free and use that bath remedy. Also what about raw food diet is there any recipes I can make for her so I know there are no additives and would this be a better solution???

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive already answered in your other thread bout the home made food and sherry has given you great yeast advice only thing i can add is a good probiotic and some zinc 50mg a day for the skin. some use apple cidar vinegar in the water just a few drops. duoxo ps shampoo is wonderful for skin issues. the browning of the fur is allergies i believe as sarah has begun to do this to. [MENTION=5924]gypsysmommy[/MENTION]

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Also with switching to grain free, picking one that doesnt have potatoes in it will help.

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Also with switching to grain free, picking one that doesnt have potatoes in it will help.

That worked for us, too. Even Fromm Beef Frittata still gave Gus yeasty issues. Since we switched to Fromm Pork and Peas, he's like a new dog. No tear stains, no yeasty tail pocket, spotless ears!!

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Petey Pete was very yeasty smelling too. That is how he got his nick name Stinky Pete. The smell got so bad that I couldn't even let him in my lap. I would give him a bath one day and the next day he smelled. I too thought it was his food..but it wasn't. I feed him TOTW. It was his tail pocket that was smelling.I wasn't get it cleaned enough. I didn't realize how deep it was. Shame on me!!! Now he doesn't smell like yeast and gets a bath as needed. And we decided to keep his nick name Stinky Pete.

- - - Updated - - -

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.