Out of food

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I misjudged how much food I had and I have none. I can get some in the morning no problem and really she would be fine over night until I can, but we walked a lot today and I know she'll be getting hungry. Maggie normally eats a good sized meal at night and thats it. I've tried feeding her smaller portions twice a day but she still doesn't touch it til night time, which is fine. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to cook her some chicken to hold her over until tomorrow morning or if I should just wait. If you suggest I cook her some chicken, is there anything I could put with it that would be safe?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can give her bland diet, chicken or beef with rice. It should not effect her at all. :).

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you already got great advice from Lisa, bland diet is fine, you can cook a chicken breast and rice, and if you want you can add broccoli, or other vegetables like carrots, cauliflower. I feed our guys Fromms Beef Fritatta kibble in the morning and about once every two weeks I make a batch of homemade for both of them. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, and salmon, so I use beef. I take a sauté skillet, or my wok and I brown about 4 pounds of lean ground sirloin, with water, no oil, and a little bit of beef broth, then I add one package of frozen California mixed vegetables which contain carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, you don't want to use corn. Then I cook 2 cups of rice, and add it to the beef and vegetable mixture. I divide the mixture into 1 cup servings, and I usually get 12 servings, which gives my two 6 meals. I give them this for their evening meal. They inhale it, and love it. Your baby will love a home cooked meal, and may get spoiled and want you to cook more.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I cooked her some chicken in water. I didn't have any rice. She was in her crate when I put it in her bowl and she jumped up and tried to eat it through the bars! I'd love to make more home cooked meals but I'm not sure i can afford it At the moment. It will definitely be something I will do eventually.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if this happens in the future you can add any carb to the chicken you have there. rice brown rice millet potato sweet potato well you get the idea. it doesnt have to be rice. also doesnt have to be chicken can be beef or fish. long as your dog is not allergic to it its fine. its actually not as expensive as you might think. i buy dried beans in a bag and cook then on the stove. the same for the brown rice and millet i use. the green beans i use the microwave ones that are plain. the meat is the most expensive thing. just a thought. :)

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
With regard to the chicken... only use the white meat. The dark meat is too rich and will make them have loose stools. Bon Appetit :-)

B

Baxter Tiberius

I have seen many people here say that chicken is inflammatory for bulldogs. Even the chicken version of dog foods causes problems. Not the case?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hi, you already got great advice from Lisa, bland diet is fine, you can cook a chicken breast and rice, and if you want you can add broccoli, or other vegetables like carrots, cauliflower. I feed our guys Fromms Beef Fritatta kibble in the morning and about once every two weeks I make a batch of homemade for both of them. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, and salmon, so I use beef. I take a sauté skillet, or my wok and I brown about 4 pounds of lean ground sirloin, with water, no oil, and a little bit of beef broth, then I add one package of frozen California mixed vegetables which contain carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, you don't want to use corn. Then I cook 2 cups of rice, and add it to the beef and vegetable mixture. I divide the mixture into 1 cup servings, and I usually get 12 servings, which gives my two 6 meals. I give them this for their evening meal. They inhale it, and love it. Your baby will love a home cooked meal, and may get spoiled and want you to cook more.
Thank you I am going to give this a try. Do you use regular rice or the quick rice? and can I divide it into pre-measured bowls to refrigerate?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I have seen many people here say that chicken is inflammatory for bulldogs. Even the chicken version of dog foods causes problems. Not the case?

it depends on the bulldog. my Lola is allergic to boiled chicken and chicken kibble but I've also heard of bullies being allergic to chicken kibble but not raw chicken, presumably where the human knows where his chicken is raised. could be the hormones or other "goodies" factory farming has put into mass produced meat.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you I am going to give this a try. Do you use regular rice or the quick rice? and can I divide it into pre-measured bowls to refrigerate?

I use freezer bags for each meal portion n put them in the freezer. I get one out as I'm feeding so it is thawed by the next meal n just open the bag n put it in the microwave for 20 or so seconds n just pour it i n the bowl. I have used the quick rice and even the microwave rice just plain no sauce. I went to brown rice then millet.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

Sarah is allergic to all other proteins I've tried except Turkey so she had chicken every meal n has no problems n I know other bullies here who have chicken. bullies can have chicken it's only a problem if they are allergic to it.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia

I love this. What kind of rice is best for their tummies? Would Jasmine rice be ok? I'm assuming not minute rice.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.