Raw eggs are bad for dogs?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Are raw eggs okay for dogs?

I was reading on here last night a bunch of folks give their dogs raw eggs, shell and all, and it seemed to be a very popular method.
I was a little surprised that people didnt recommend cooking them or at least hard boiling them, due to the salmonella risk that is in every raw egg (no matter how slight).

Anyways I was looking up my juicing thing today to see if there were any "bad foods" for dogs.
Raw eggs came up. Just wanted to copy paste this in here for anyone who cares:

"Raw Eggs
There are two problems with giving your dog raw eggs. The first is the possibility of food poisoning from bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli. The second is that an enzyme in raw eggs interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin. This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dog's coat if raw eggs are fed for a long time."

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat (# 13)

Kevin

Last edited:

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
From what I understand, Salmonella is an issue for humans and not canines. I dont worry about that as I feed raw as well as kibble. Just practice safe food handling. I used to feed raw eggs until I read that about the absorbtion of vitamins, so now I cook them. I think it is something to do with the biotin absorption. But raw feeders have been doing it for years without any adverse effects. I'm sure the food guru's will be along shortly with some thoughts

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm i feed raw eggs myself bout 3 times a week to sarah. i do know that @Twice just posted a thing on salmonella being for the humans around the dogs and not the dogs themselves. i wonder what she has to say bout this. i know she feeds raw eggs herself.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was just thinking the same as [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], about the info [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] gave us regarding salmonella.

I really think every subject in the world could be debated... Just as most vets will tell you purina is a good dog food and raw diet is bad (because of risk of salmonella). Who is the consumer going to believe? Those that feed raw diet can verify through experience their dogs are extremely healthy and happy, 1000 times better than being fed kibble. But most consumers will believe their vet and buy the $80 bag of crap they sell instead. I know I was one of those consumers and I was stubborn as they come about opening my eyes to kibble.

I also give raw eggs and never had any problems. Many people use raw eggs in shakes and such too....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was reading on here last night a bunch of folks give their dogs raw eggs, shell and all, and it seemed to be a very popular method.
I was a little surprised that people didnt recommend cooking them or at least hard boiling them, due to the salmonella risk that is in every raw egg (no matter how slight).

Anyways I was looking up my juicing thing today to see if there were any "bad foods" for dogs.
Raw eggs came up. Just wanted to copy paste this in here for anyone who cares:

"Raw Eggs
There are two problems with giving your dog raw eggs. The first is the possibility of food poisoning from bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli. The second is that an enzyme in raw eggs interferes with the absorption of a particular B vitamin. This can cause skin problems as well as problems with your dog's coat if raw eggs are fed for a long time."

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat (# 13)

Kevin

Hi Kevin. I'm Bev. I am a certified canine nutritionist 5 weeks away from finishing my Holistic Nutrition certification program. Maybe I can answer these questions for you.

First, Salmonella. Dog's don't get it. Their saliva has amazing antibacterial properties. There is an enzyme in a dogs saliva called Lysozyme that has been proven to kill pretty much any bacteria that it comes in contact with. Nature has given them stomachs of steel filled with acids to kill whatever harmful bacteria that "might" make it through the mouth. Healthy dogs don't (can't) get salmonella. The risk is to us. We get it from them by cleaning up the feces and from handling the bowls.

Raw eggs are quite possibly the best source of protein you could ever give your dog, even better than meat. The egg yolk is the largest source of B12 anywhere. The yolk is also very high in phosphorous so any dog with compromised kidneys should have minimal amounts of yolk.

What you have read about egg whites is partially true. Egg whites contain an enzyme called avidin. In large quantities avidin can cause a biotin deficiency. But the yolk contains enough biotin to counteract any deficiency that avidin may cause.

Egg shells are the best calcium source on the planet. Wash the eggs shells and feed them whole, cracked or ground.

I hope this answers your concerns. If not, send me a pm and I will see what else I can do to help. :)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Well I gave Baxter his first raw egg last night and he loved it of course.
My only concern is the shell. I know a lot of you give the whole egg including shell.
But its got very sharp edges and they don't exactly have teeth for "grinding". So when he went poop today, the 100% undigested shell pieces came out in little sharp triangles.
I can't imagine that is good for his digestive system and soft tissue inside. Getting scraped up by a bunch of those.
They're not digesting.
Same thing happened when I gave him extremely sliced up veggies. They came out just like they went in.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I give Brutus raw eggs mixed with his kibble! When I give him the shells I try to smash them as good as I can so they arent too big b/c he just swallows food!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
very interesting thread! Ive been debating the egg issue also! Geat info here!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I grind the shells. They can utilize them better that way. The same with veggies, pureed and mostly freezed as well. Whole pieces just go through.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Well I gave Baxter his first raw egg last night and he loved it of course.
My only concern is the shell. I know a lot of you give the whole egg including shell.
But its got very sharp edges and they don't exactly have teeth for "grinding". So when he went poop today, the 100% undigested shell pieces came out in little sharp triangles.
I can't imagine that is good for his digestive system and soft tissue inside. Getting scraped up by a bunch of those.
They're not digesting.
Same thing happened when I gave him extremely sliced up veggies. They came out just like they went in.

If he isn't chewing the shells enough you can crush or grind them before giving them to him. Trust me, it's the best calcium that you can give your growing boy.

Raw vegetables should be blanched or frozen before feeding them. Vegetables have a layer of cellulose that inhibits digestion. Blanching or freezing puts cracks in this layer so that they can be fully digested. You should not boil to fully cook them if possible. Cooking them removes almost all of the nutrients that you are giving them to him for.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.