7 Month Old with Food Issues... suggestions?

knox2alex

Aug 29, 2013
Arlington, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Birdie
Hello,

My bulldog Birdie is 7 months old, she started from the breeder with Taste of the Wild Pacific formula - which was fine for a long time, except that she started getting itchy and was pooping slightly loose stools and pooping several times a day. I decided at about 5 months to switch her to a raw diet - mostly using BRAVO or Stella & Chewy's with some fish oil added and some fresh vegetables, pumpkin, and probiotics. Poops got better - twice a day and firm, the itching stopped and she loved it. Problem was she was gaining weight too quickly, and always thought she was starving - even with the max recommended food and extra veggies for bulk. She was mostly eating the rabbit or venison varieties. But, she developed tear stains and had never had them before.

A couple of weeks ago, she started getting really itchy after eating this... she would scratch violently at her eyes, or rub her face on the carpet or furniture right after eating. So, we tried another protien choice (still raw). Chicken... she had explosive diarrhea and itchy face. Thinking it might be the chicken, I did a few days of rice cooked with beef stock to calm her stomach and it did. Also, in those two days of just rice with beef stock, her tear stains faded almost completely, her eyes stopped gooping, and her poop was normal.

So, with all of this.. I kind of got freaked out with the raw, and thought that since her stomach was having issues anyway and she had been on rice, maybe now was a good time to switch back to kibble. I did tons of research and came up with Fromm's 4-star grain free (Wild Game and Beef Fritatta). ITCHY FACE, very red eyes, and diarrhea with one variety and itchy face, very red eyes, and vomitting with the other.

I put down the Fromm's today and she won't eat it. I thought maybe we were just having problems with the switch, but she is refusing to eat it. I had a can of Nature's Instinct single protein food - turkey, so I tried that. She ate it, and loved it... but had itchy face again and super red eyes.

I don't know what to do! I know that it's not good to switch things around so much - but I am at a loss at the best and healthful way to feed her without stomach issues, too much weight gain, and allergic reactions (like itchy face and red eyes).

I am considering Nature's Logic or Pure Performance... I am thinking chicken and/or beef could be an issue for her. I also have always gone grain free.

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts on this, I would appreciate it. I want to do the best thing for her.

Thanks,

D (& Birdie)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh man, I thought I had allergy problems with my female Blossom, but you're going through way more than I have. When we first got Blossom, she was on Royal Canin from the breeder, and after reading the dog food ratings on EBN, and researching different foods, we switched both our guys to Go Natural as it was a higher quality food. We quickly realized that this food was way to rich for Bulldozer, as he got soupy soft stools, and also began eating his stools, which he had never done before. YUK. Blossom developed allergy symptoms like your Birdie did, she had pink face and chin, her ears were red and warm to the touch, and she had red, goopy eyes , with tear stains, as well as she was licking her paws like crazy. We then went back to the Royal Canin Puppy because I didn't know what else to try. Then after the ratings and reading that most people fed their bullies Fromm's, and finding out that Blossom is allergic or sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains and corn, we switched to Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they have been on this food for 11 months now, and are doing really great on this food. I feel for you, as it is very frustrating to find a good quality food that is both nutritional, and that they can tolerate, especially when you've tried every source of protein, and you're still having allergy issues. I don't know what else to suggest, other than trying a limited ingredient food, or home cooking her food. There are lots of other members on here who are more experienced regarding foods and allergies, who may be able to better help you, or suggest some other foods. Cowsmom, and Desertskybulldogs have more experience with this and can give you information and suggestions on food. Good luck, it is definitely frustrating, and trial and error until we find the right food. Please keep us posted on how you're doing and if you find a food that works for Birdie

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We use ( not sure where you are so... ) First Mate grain free Pacific ocean fish formula, our breeder turned us on too it , Tilly is 2 yrs old , Diva 7 yrs old and Willow 7 yr old Siberian husky
ZERO issues coats eye,s stool is great ect ect
think I would get the vet involved as there is a allergic reaction going on it seems
it is manufactured in BC Canada if that helps

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Check out the article about allergies, it sounds like an allergy test may be something you should consider trying. She may have a yeast infection in her face that needs to be cleared up and if that's the case, any food you give could aggravate the issue. Douxo wipes for the face especially after eating will help clear it up. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help you find a food with limited ingredients. Not sure about beef being an issue since it was getting better with the rice and beef broth, it could be an allergy to any ingredient in the food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Check out the article about allergies, it sounds like an allergy test may be something you should consider trying. She may have a yeast infection in her face that needs to be cleared up and if that's the case, any food you give could aggravate the issue. Douxo wipes for the face especially after eating will help clear it up. @cowsmom can help you find a food with limited ingredients. Not sure about beef being an issue since it was getting better with the rice and beef broth, it could be an allergy to any ingredient in the food.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

:goodpost:

ebulldoglover

Jul 13, 2013
Vermont
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
As you perhaps know by now, feeding EB is tricky. I have found after 15 years of rescue, that not only does one diet not fit all, but one diet may not last for one dog. I keep the base of the diet the same, raw organic kale, raw organic cucumber, lightly steamed organic carrot, raw organic celery. I put these in a blender and puree them together about a cup each, (kale 3 cups). I add kelp 1 TBLS, and bone meal 1TBLS and mix again. I keep 2-3 containers in the frig and freeze the rest. At each meal I add to this a rotating protein 1 cup, (sardines, beef liver, salmon, mackeral, bison). There is a store in Vermont that ships, (Petfood Warehouse) that has frozen bags of huge sardines. I thaw them and remove the skeleton, but leave on the head. I also use canned fish if I need to without salt. I do not feed any poultry of any kind, no grain, no potato, no peas. To this I add 2 softgel omega oils and 2 TBSL of coconut oil. I have had dogs come in to me in horrific condition, mange, allergies, you name it. Within days on this they are on their way to recovery. You will not imagine that they will eat it as it looks like green soup, but I have not found a dog that did not love it. Coats are great, noses are great. Costco is a great place to get coconut oil, large tubs $15.00. 1-2 times per week I set out washable blanket and give them a big beef bone. They are the soup bones that you see in the store. They love them, cleans their teeth, gives them the chew exercise they need, and they do not splinter.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok youve been feeding your dog several grain free foods and you are having problems. you feed her rice and beef stock and she is better. perhaps much as you would like to feed grain free maybe this is not meant to be. you can do several things. of course back to home cooked for a bit. you can do rice and beef and not beef stock and see how it goes. i used lowfat hamburger when i fed this. if things go ok you have a few choices. you can get a limited ingredient grain food or you can keep home cooking and start adding things in to check for allergies. like peas or rice, then brown rice, then millet, potatoes, peas. well you get the idea. one at a time and over like a week or so then onto another one. this helped me greatly when trying to find a food for sarah. she has been on like 30. i am right back to chicken and grains for her so sometimes even though we would like grain free our dog has other ideas. now for a food you can try pure vita chicken and rice or nutrisource has a chicken and rice. fromm has several grain foods. natures variety has their prairie line with grains. if you still want to continue trying grain free zignature has a limited ingredient turkey or fish one with peas you can try. pure vita has 3 single protein foods you can try. ive been through this with sarah for a long time. duoxo pads and duoxo ps shampoo are great for yeast. get a good probiotic and some vit c might help with allergies. [MENTION=9766]knox2alex[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.