Oh my gosh - Here I thought I knew *shake my head.*

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
So as you all know I recently just adopted Miss Brynnlee, who came with everything - including her food. For those who don't know as I have already discussed this on a few other posts, but this post is more so than not how I am an idiot - she is currently eating Purina One Smartblend: Healthy Weight Management. Her previous owners gave me the rest of her food and instructed me to put water, just enough to get all the kibble wet once - not make it soupy, on her food at meal times. I thought that was a bit strange, but wanted to make things as normal as possible as she is used to that. She eats it fine, however has bad gas, burps quite a bit, and we have noticed her stools. Oh my are they horrible. They aren't diarrhea, but they SMELL - I can smell dog poo as soon as I get out of my car... and I never had been able to with any of my other dogs in the past. They are also very soft and not very easy to clean up. So I began thinking maybe it's the milkbones she also came with - they can't really be to good for her and the bacon/chicken/ect flavors I would so assume cause gas. So I had posted a thread and learned about the yogurt/fruits/veggies which we will still try, but now that I come to think of it - her food also STINKS! I began reading all of the articles/food ratings/success stories with changing foods and feel absolutely TERRIBLE to realize I am feeding my bully a 1 star food, which I wouldn't even eat if I were her! :ohmy::( So I began reading more about the top 5 recommended foods and looked into what they should have vs what ingredients should they not have and again felt like such a bad mom - she's eating crap for food! Now, Brynn does not lick her paws, no yeast, and her mouth I have noticed has became red, but not so much like the ones in the success stories, however the poo is what gets me - she should not be needing to go 3-4 times a day. That food is going right through her - no wonder she goes to her bowl and looks for more... she is barley getting anything from it. She also is so LAZY. Other friends of mine have EB's and they are not as lazy as this - don't get me wrong I know they aren't high energetic let's go run laps kinds of dogs, but sheesh!

So now after learning what crap I am feeding my bully - here I thought I researched enough about the breed - tomorrow we are going to go buy a new brand. I have heard many many stories and comments about most people using Fromms. Come to find out - the pet food warehouse we go to to get our cat food sells Fromm's - bingo! Now I don't need to go to two separate stores for food, and can buy her a much better quality food. I really could care less how much it costs - I do not want to see Brynn end up with the allergies, open sores, ect on her and end up spending hundreds (not that I wouldn't) at the vet to realize her food is causing this. So my plan is to begin introducing Fromm's ( I am thinking of trying the Grain Free Beef Frittata) along with still keeping her old food in as I don't want to cause any more problems for the poor girl, but after about a week we should be switched to only Fromm's. Then my bully shouldn't stink and neither should my yard (as bad) - I hope!

I guess the saying is true: you are what you eat!

I still cannot believe this is what she is currently eating. Guys, it is AWFUL smelling. I should have been a lot smarter to realize my bully is being fed sh*t for food :( I am so glad you all are around and these articles opened my eyes and will hopefully save my Brynn from having any of the issues or developing any more due to poor food! Thanks so much EBN!!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It's hard with dog food... here in South Africa the vets sell Purina brand so how can one know? You're a good mommy for figuring out why things are a bit smelly;) It took us a while too to find the right brand for our kids, I don't now if it's the best but it works for us and we have no issues that can be food related so I'm thinking we're OK...:)

Love Brynnlee's colors, she's beautiful:)

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
It's hard with dog food... here in South Africa the vets sell Purina brand so how can one know? You're a good mommy for figuring out why things are a bit smelly;) It took us a while too to find the right brand for our kids, I don't now if it's the best but it works for us and we have no issues that can be food related so I'm thinking we're OK...:)

Love Brynnlee's colors, she's beautiful:)

I am hoping this brand works for us as everyone else seems to have good luck and then hoping to have a happier bully! & Thank you :)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Amber, I made a big mistake with Rocky, my first Bully. His Father was dying of cancer, so they re-homed him to me, and he was on Purina dog food, kibble, so since I had him, I went and bought Purina Kibble, which was the small kibble instead of the big kibble, That mix along with being re-homed was enough to shut him down from eating totaly. That wasn't a good thing to happen. In the mornings, he would wake up, Puking this yellow vile stuff, again I had no idea, what was causing it, Rocky hadn't eaten anything, how could he be throwing up, Right? I took him to the vet, and they gave him medicine to calm his stomach, By this time I was feeding him anything he would possibly eat, which was Rice and a little hamburger mix. After leaving my Vet, I got the blue buffalo sensative formula, grain free, and did a clean switch, He would eat, but wasn't interested in food at all, lucky to get 3/4 cup of food down him morning and night, and most of that from hand feeding him. When I adopted Rambo, Rocky was eating his sensitive food diet, but not very good, Rambo was on Blue Buffalo, Salmon and potatoes, That I had already learned, and now doing everything I can possibly do, to make this transition much easier than Rocky's. I had a week before picking up Rambo, purchased a bag of Rambo's food, wanting everything there for him before the transfer. Rocky wouldn't leave the bag alone. Finally I opened it, and treated him a small handful of kibble, He woofed it down, I couldn't believe it !! Now is when I realized Rocky didn't like his diet at all. I began a slow transfer of his food, 25% new food and 75% old food, for 3 days, then 50% old and 50% new for 3 more days, Then 25% old food and 75% new food for 3 more days, finally weaning his diet over to the Blue Buffalo Salmon. Whoaaa what a difference the food made. Rocky is very athletic, loves to run, loves to play, has outstanding energy for about an hour or two each morning and evening, sleeping between. Rambo is 65 lbs, and as of Today, Is 1 year old, and this 65 lb Bully wears me out in the energy department, and Rocky too! I feed them both, 1 cup each morning, and 1 cup in the evening, I treat them to fruit snacks, Yogurt on occaision, mostly Watermelon when in season. These two boys want to go outside after their meal and play, They both potty when outside, other than that, they get a couple of pee breaks between, and right back inside, and they wrestle each other all day long, and tug a war, and just bully each other, then fall asleep on each other, it's amazing what a difference the food makes. I don't like the smell of the Salmon on their breath, and opening the plastic container with the food, I'm so glad it's air sealed. But like you, my Rocky was on a Junk Food diet, and luckily from this forum, the great membership, the Articles on here, I quickly learned there are a few companies who go the extra mile for the Pets, Fromm's and Blue Buffalo both alike, are great to do business with, they have done their research, and a Long Time ago was Science diet, it was the best out there compared to Purina, and Alpo, But Now a days, I compare that food to eating at McDonalds every night, I don't do it, No one I love does it, and my Pets are treated much better. Knowledge is power, and this site, everyday gives me more knowledge of whats best for my pet, and in welcoming the new folks onboard, I always mention, reading the articles, so much research, advise, and knowledgeable information in there, It's what completed Rocky's Diet, and Rambo's too, The Stallone Brother benefit from this site daily. What a great story you've shared, and thanks for sharing it with us, Now it's just key to find the food that fits him, and it nutritious enough to boost him, Pets are like children, in that they will eat junkfood over a salad anyday, us being the responsible parents have to do the right thing. :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=9689]AmberXo[/MENTION] - so glad you are reading and learning, nutrition is such an important factor in keeping our bullies healthy and happy! I learned about Fromm here and my 3 do great on it, I still can't make myself give up on their other food so I just mix the two ... I feed Fromm Game Bird Recipe (brown bag) mixed with The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw (Force or Embark) and my fur-babies are super healthy :) I do give treats from time to time but I'm super picky about what they get (I like to make home made treats so I know what they are eating) I have been getting the Fromm Treats also as I am very comfortable feeding the Fromm Brand.

Good luck and keep us posted on how Brynn does on Fromm.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I hope you get lucky and have good results from the first switch. Some people have had to try several different good foods to find the right one. We got lucky with HRH when we switched her from Bil Jac to Fromm Beef Frittata. We have tried a couple of other foods trying to switch her protein source, but they don't work as well for her as the Beef.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think I would start with his food. Fromm has excellent grain free foods. Do a slow switch using 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old food each meal for about a week. Then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then go 3/4 new to 1/4 old for another week before giving him 100% new food. This is important because bullys have very sensitive tummys and too quick of a change may upset his tummy. If you notice soft poo while switching, back up and reduce the new food a little for a few days so his tummy can catch up to the switch. Another thing that helps during a switch is to add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to the mix *not pie filling but canned pumpkin*. Once you switch his food give him a few weeks on the new food and note how it has helped or not, but it takes a few weeks to get the old food out of his system. It can be a long process but is great when you find the right food..... Fromm Beef Frittata was that right food for Princess Gracie.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Before I started studying dog foods I was feeding Iams, thinking I was feeding a great food! Don't feel bad, we have all been there. I thought my friend Linda was nuts because she kept talking about dog foods. I would just agree with her and not change a thing. I was very stubborn!! Now I am the one telling people and they give me the crazy look :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Please don't be so hard on yourself! Atleast you learned and changed some things, instead of being ignorant to it all and just shrugging it off. You did a great job with your research and although I've never feed the dog food you chose, I know a lot of people on here feed it to their dogs. We feed "Taste of the Wild" to Mona and she loves it. You've done a great job and I really commend you for making changes to help your precious girl.

And, might I add, my partner and I did all the research we could on EB's before we got one. Honestly, no one could've done more than we did. Imagine our shock when about a year after having Mona (we got her at 1 1/2 years old) she starts have crazy head bobbing episodes. What's this? It's called Idiopathic head tremors? Never read a thing about it in all the research we did. Just goes to show you, you can read and read and read til you have no more sight, and still learn something new about this breed.

Good Luck! You're a wonderful mom!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think I would start with his food. Fromm has excellent grain free foods. Do a slow switch using 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old food each meal for about a week. Then go 1/2 and 1/2 for a week, then go 3/4 new to 1/4 old for another week before giving him 100% new food. This is important because bullys have very sensitive tummys and too quick of a change may upset his tummy. If you notice soft poo while switching, back up and reduce the new food a little for a few days so his tummy can catch up to the switch. Another thing that helps during a switch is to add a tablespoon of canned pumpkin to the mix *not pie filling but canned pumpkin*. Once you switch his food give him a few weeks on the new food and note how it has helped or not, but it takes a few weeks to get the old food out of his system. It can be a long process but is great when you find the right food..... Fromm Beef Frittata was that right food for Princess Gracie.

Yes EXACTLY what Bruce said it'll will make all the difference in the world.:goodpost: [MENTION=9689]AmberXo[/MENTION]

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
I suppose you always learn something new! But thanks everyone :) I too thought that her food was perfectly fine until I came on here... it's a shock to see how much goes into advertising for these brands that are really like said - eating McDonald's every night. My Brynn has NO energy - today you'd think she was sick. Maybe she does have a stomach ache? She didn't even wake me up like normal to go out to go potty. I fed her as I am heading to the store in a bit to get new food, but she just looked at it like... yuck! But, I suppose eating that crap and having to go to the bathroom that much it takes a lot of of her. :/ poor girl. Thanks for the advice [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I will give this a shot - hopefully this food treats her better than the purina crap!

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
When we adopted our ollie he was eating purina, he too ha no issues till they only had his type in chicken. I had been here reading and researching for me im off wk for medical issues but not getting an income so fromm was out. I did find tractor supply grain free brand its an ok rating but lord this dog now has spunk!! His fur has improved he has energy he used to sleep all day i just assumed that was an eb as he is our first!! Wrong i wouldnt have guessed food and im so thankful for this site as well!!! Good luck!

OP
AmberXo

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
When we adopted our ollie he was eating purina, he too ha no issues till they only had his type in chicken. I had been here reading and researching for me im off wk for medical issues but not getting an income so fromm was out. I did find tractor supply grain free brand its an ok rating but lord this dog now has spunk!! His fur has improved he has energy he used to sleep all day i just assumed that was an eb as he is our first!! Wrong i wouldnt have guessed food and im so thankful for this site as well!!! Good luck!

Hope things are okay for you medically! My mom is going through the same thing - it is not fun! Anyways, Fromm is EXPENSIVE - I only bought a small bag to try it and see if she likes it first but, then again I will pay more for my bully to be happier and healthier than feed her crap food. She has no major issues like allergies or anything, thank god, but like you my bully sleeps ALL day and I thought oh well I know the breed is lazy but is she supposed to be this lazy? She has no energy. Her fur could be better to I think. So I am so glad to have read about food being such a big factor before coming across big problems with her and having lots of money stuck into the vet for her to only need better food. I can't wait for her to hopefully feel better!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was feeding Winston Science Diet, then Eukanuba... my vet even suggested Purina One!!! Thank God for this forum... I put Winston on Fromm's and his staining is gone, and so is the loose :poo:. I think we all have been there, so please don't FRET!!! LOL

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Hey Amber, I made a big mistake with Rocky, my first Bully. His Father was dying of cancer, so they re-homed him to me, and he was on Purina dog food, kibble, so since I had him, I went and bought Purina Kibble, which was the small kibble instead of the big kibble, That mix along with being re-homed was enough to shut him down from eating totaly. That wasn't a good thing to happen. In the mornings, he would wake up, Puking this yellow vile stuff, again I had no idea, what was causing it, Rocky hadn't eaten anything, how could he be throwing up, Right? I took him to the vet, and they gave him medicine to calm his stomach, By this time I was feeding him anything he would possibly eat, which was Rice and a little hamburger mix. After leaving my Vet, I got the blue buffalo sensative formula, grain free, and did a clean switch, He would eat, but wasn't interested in food at all, lucky to get 3/4 cup of food down him morning and night, and most of that from hand feeding him. When I adopted Rambo, Rocky was eating his sensitive food diet, but not very good, Rambo was on Blue Buffalo, Salmon and potatoes, That I had already learned, and now doing everything I can possibly do, to make this transition much easier than Rocky's. I had a week before picking up Rambo, purchased a bag of Rambo's food, wanting everything there for him before the transfer. Rocky wouldn't leave the bag alone. Finally I opened it, and treated him a small handful of kibble, He woofed it down, I couldn't believe it !! Now is when I realized Rocky didn't like his diet at all. I began a slow transfer of his food, 25% new food and 75% old food, for 3 days, then 50% old and 50% new for 3 more days, Then 25% old food and 75% new food for 3 more days, finally weaning his diet over to the Blue Buffalo Salmon. Whoaaa what a difference the food made. Rocky is very athletic, loves to run, loves to play, has outstanding energy for about an hour or two each morning and evening, sleeping between. Rambo is 65 lbs, and as of Today, Is 1 year old, and this 65 lb Bully wears me out in the energy department, and Rocky too! I feed them both, 1 cup each morning, and 1 cup in the evening, I treat them to fruit snacks, Yogurt on occaision, mostly Watermelon when in season. These two boys want to go outside after their meal and play, They both potty when outside, other than that, they get a couple of pee breaks between, and right back inside, and they wrestle each other all day long, and tug a war, and just bully each other, then fall asleep on each other, it's amazing what a difference the food makes. I don't like the smell of the Salmon on their breath, and opening the plastic container with the food, I'm so glad it's air sealed. But like you, my Rocky was on a Junk Food diet, and luckily from this forum, the great membership, the Articles on here, I quickly learned there are a few companies who go the extra mile for the Pets, Fromm's and Blue Buffalo both alike, are great to do business with, they have done their research, and a Long Time ago was Science diet, it was the best out there compared to Purina, and Alpo, But Now a days, I compare that food to eating at McDonalds every night, I don't do it, No one I love does it, and my Pets are treated much better. Knowledge is power, and this site, everyday gives me more knowledge of whats best for my pet, and in welcoming the new folks onboard, I always mention, reading the articles, so much research, advise, and knowledgeable information in there, It's what completed Rocky's Diet, and Rambo's too, The Stallone Brother benefit from this site daily. What a great story you've shared, and thanks for sharing it with us, Now it's just key to find the food that fits him, and it nutritious enough to boost him, Pets are like children, in that they will eat junkfood over a salad anyday, us being the responsible parents have to do the right thing. :)
WHOOOO I must be the lucky one then cause my kids will take a salad over junk food any day of the week. I raised them that way! From the time they got teeth and could chew I fed them salads fresh fruit and vegetables when I realized I was heading in the right direction my daughter came in and we had bought grocery's and a bag of peanut M&M's and a box of grapes were sitting next to each other on the table and one of my twins came in and sat at the table pushed the M&M's out of the way and grabbed the grapes and proceeded to tell us she would eat those later maybe, she wanted the grapes. The Mommy inside me was doing a:happydance:while on the outside I said "ok" as calmly as I could. I stopped eating at Mcdonalds and all the other fast food places and my kids now don't even ask for it. If they want something they ask for Firehouse Subs or Subway or they ask me to make something special at supper. Sheldon isn't treated any differently I wouldn't feed him fast food which is why I am thinking about switching him to raw feeding it might be expensive at first but in reading I feel like it might be healthier for Sheldon. All ready I see a difference in his coat with the Salmon oil he his shiny and soft and not shedding nearly as much and he loves eating now he cleans his bowl with maybe a few kibble left. I was feeding Sheldon Purina Pure One until I started reading on here and realized that is what was causing his muzzle redness since I changed food and started the salmon oil his muzzle redness is gone. I hope your culinary journey in finding the right food is a success story!!! HUGs and MUZZIES!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.