Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Default I need help. Again.

I have transitioned Seven to FreshPet Slice and Serve beef. He loves it way more than the regular raw I was feeding him. And it has great reviews on dogfoodadvisor.com. He still has yeast. It is getting better, his feet look great now. I wash him in a tea tree and coconut oil shampoo. I rinse it off then I rinse with the Clorox mixture. Is there something more I can do for the yeast battle? Yes, I can take him to the vet BUT it comes back when the meds are done. And really, I don't want to keep pumping him with meds if it isn't making it go away. He needs to gain weight. He eats about two pounds a day. Yes, that is over what it says by a quarter pound. But that's suggested amount and he is so skinny that I give him extra. His backbone is visible. He breaks my heart. I mean breaks it. Please, does anyone know of a supplement for his food that will help him gain weight? (I've posted this in a couple of places here)

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I need help. Again.

I wish I had something for you! Poor baby...I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out. Good luck....such a sweet baby. I know it breaks your heart!

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Have you tried feeding him a grain-free, gluten-free kibble at all? I really had good luck by eliminating sweet potatoes and regular potatoes from my bully's food to control yeast - and it might help him put on some weight. I use Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Jennifer, when you say you're rinsing him off w/Clorox are you meaning the Zymox
    or possibly ACV/Water mixture?

Don't give up hope, yeast is difficult to treat and it takes a long time (for humans too).

It sounds as if you're making progress, that's good, and I don't think I'd do the meds.
    I had constant yeast from my health conditions and the meds I had to be on to manage
    those illnesses. I finally got sick & tired of the vicious circle and had to find my answers
    BEYOND regular health care. It's taken years of getting things under control, you just
    have to persevere. I had to get off grains, sugar, dairy...get off yeast causing meds...
    stop taking antibiotics~only if absolutely needed and take yeast meds for the coming
    yeast infection~I also have tried to strengthen my immune system to ward this off by
    using daily Pro & Pre biotics & other yeast fighting supplements.

It's a multifaceted attack and a long battle, ultimately it is a leaky gut problem~google
    leaky gut and you'll understand much more.

Does this food contain any potatoes, rice or other carbs? Does he get dairy, cheese, etc?

Treats?

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Nicole
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loki Beans
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Have you tried feeding him a grain-free, gluten-free kibble at all? I really had good luck by eliminating sweet potatoes and regular potatoes from my bully's food to control yeast - and it might help him put on some weight. I use Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet.
    I second this
    "If our dogs don't like you we probably won't either"

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

I have tried him on every grain free, potato free, dry I can find. He refuses to eat it. I am talking will eat it for a day then won't eat for another couple days or so. He eats twice a day eagerly on this. He gets coconut oil and Benadryl added to his food. The mixture recipe I mentioned I rinsed him with was given to me. It is a gallon of warm water, two teaspoons of Chlorox, and three teaspoons of vinegar. I wet him down with cool water and his rinse to remove the shamp is with cool water. He has started refusing to drink the water if it has apple cider vinegar in it. So I've allowed him back straight water. I do see improvements with his yeast and I'm glad to know it is a long road. His skinniness scares me.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Oh and his treats, I found in a bin at PetCo where you dish out what you want to get. They are grain free cheese circle things. He loves them. Should they be a no? The ingredient list was listed and I did not see any sugar or grains in it.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by luvnmymedic View Post
    Oh and his treats, I found in a bin at PetCo where you dish out what you want to get. They are grain free cheese circle things. He loves them. Should they be a no? The ingredient list was listed and I did not see any sugar or grains in it.

Cheese may contribute to yeast (no dairy, it is high in sugar). As Sandra
    @cowsmom
    suggested, no extra food groups, treats, etc until you figure out what's going on
    (possible allergies) and you know he's got yeast so you need to google 'leaky gut'
    whence yeast problems originate and research 'anti yeast diet' to know what to avoid
    and what to feed.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

AH ok. Good thing he doesn't get one very often. I'll hide them so no one gives them to him.

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Seven - RIP I love you
    Likes (Received)

Also, I've been told before not to start probiotics on him just yet. I don't really understand why if his issue somewhat starts in his gut. Should I start him on one? Which one?

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok yeast takes a long time to clear up. i dont think yeast is just a sugar thing i think its an allergy thing to. if your feeding your dog something its allergic to then yeast can form. if the food you are feeding is clearing up the yeast i see no reason to change it. i would be doing a probiotic for sure. they say get one that doesnt need refridgeration. i know align doesnt and culturelle is another good one but i just get natures bounty 1 billion one. with sarahs allergies even probiotics is a battle. i pill a day or 2 it wont hurt esp if they have been on anti biotics. i would get myself duoxo ps shampoo and duoxo pads. they are great for yeast and can be ordered online at amazon or entirely pets. coconut is good for yeast to as is acv. i used it on sarahs pads and all over but it seemed to kinda sting her so i stopped using it. my dogs didnt like the acv in their water either and i didnt see really where it helped sarahs yeast must but thats just me. you can also get anti fungals to use on the yeast at the drug store such as tinactin and stuff for jock itch and athletes foot. i would put stuff on the yeast twice a day and on sarah i would bathe her twice a week to help with the itching. @luvnmymedic

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by luvnmymedic View Post
    Also, I've been told before not to start probiotics on him just yet. I don't really understand why if his issue somewhat starts in his gut. Should I start him on one? Which one?
    I am absolutely no help here. I just noticed Seven`s name and was wondering if this is a reference to Seinfeld? Good luck in your battle against the yeast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads