I need help. Again.

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I have transitioned Seven to FreshPet Slice and Serve beef. He loves it way more than the regular raw I was feeding him. And it has great reviews on dogfoodadvisor.com. He still has yeast. It is getting better, his feet look great now. I wash him in a tea tree and coconut oil shampoo. I rinse it off then I rinse with the Clorox mixture. Is there something more I can do for the yeast battle? Yes, I can take him to the vet BUT it comes back when the meds are done. And really, I don't want to keep pumping him with meds if it isn't making it go away. He needs to gain weight. He eats about two pounds a day. Yes, that is over what it says by a quarter pound. But that's suggested amount and he is so skinny that I give him extra. His backbone is visible. He breaks my heart. I mean breaks it.:cry: Please, does anyone know of a supplement for his food that will help him gain weight? (I've posted this in a couple of places here)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I wish I had something for you! Poor baby...I'm sure someone will be along soon to help out. Good luck....such a sweet baby. I know it breaks your heart!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Have you tried feeding him a grain-free, gluten-free kibble at all? I really had good luck by eliminating sweet potatoes and regular potatoes from my bully's food to control yeast - and it might help him put on some weight. I use Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Jennifer, when you say you're rinsing him off w/Clorox are you meaning the Zymox
or possibly ACV/Water mixture?

Don't give up hope, yeast is difficult to treat and it takes a long time (for humans too).

It sounds as if you're making progress, that's good, and I don't think I'd do the meds.
I had constant yeast from my health conditions and the meds I had to be on to manage
those illnesses. I finally got sick & tired of the vicious circle and had to find my answers
BEYOND regular health care. It's taken years of getting things under control, you just
have to persevere. I had to get off grains, sugar, dairy...get off yeast causing meds...
stop taking antibiotics~only if absolutely needed and take yeast meds for the coming
yeast infection~I also have tried to strengthen my immune system to ward this off by
using daily Pro & Pre biotics & other yeast fighting supplements.

It's a multifaceted attack and a long battle, ultimately it is a leaky gut problem~google
leaky gut and you'll understand much more.

Does this food contain any potatoes, rice or other carbs? Does he get dairy, cheese, etc?

Treats?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Have you tried feeding him a grain-free, gluten-free kibble at all? I really had good luck by eliminating sweet potatoes and regular potatoes from my bully's food to control yeast - and it might help him put on some weight. I use Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet.

I second this

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
I have tried him on every grain free, potato free, dry I can find. He refuses to eat it. I am talking will eat it for a day then won't eat for another couple days or so. He eats twice a day eagerly on this. He gets coconut oil and Benadryl added to his food. The mixture recipe I mentioned I rinsed him with was given to me. It is a gallon of warm water, two teaspoons of Chlorox, and three teaspoons of vinegar. I wet him down with cool water and his rinse to remove the shamp is with cool water. He has started refusing to drink the water if it has apple cider vinegar in it. So I've allowed him back straight water. I do see improvements with his yeast and I'm glad to know it is a long road. His skinniness scares me.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Oh and his treats, I found in a bin at PetCo where you dish out what you want to get. They are grain free cheese circle things. He loves them. Should they be a no? The ingredient list was listed and I did not see any sugar or grains in it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh and his treats, I found in a bin at PetCo where you dish out what you want to get. They are grain free cheese circle things. He loves them. Should they be a no? The ingredient list was listed and I did not see any sugar or grains in it.

Cheese may contribute to yeast (no dairy, it is high in sugar). As Sandra
@cowsmom
suggested, no extra food groups, treats, etc until you figure out what's going on
(possible allergies) and you know he's got yeast so you need to google 'leaky gut'
whence yeast problems originate and research 'anti yeast diet' to know what to avoid
and what to feed.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
AH ok. Good thing he doesn't get one very often. I'll hide them so no one gives them to him.

OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Also, I've been told before not to start probiotics on him just yet. I don't really understand why if his issue somewhat starts in his gut. Should I start him on one? Which one?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok yeast takes a long time to clear up. i dont think yeast is just a sugar thing i think its an allergy thing to. if your feeding your dog something its allergic to then yeast can form. if the food you are feeding is clearing up the yeast i see no reason to change it. i would be doing a probiotic for sure. they say get one that doesnt need refridgeration. i know align doesnt and culturelle is another good one but i just get natures bounty 1 billion one. with sarahs allergies even probiotics is a battle. i pill a day or 2 it wont hurt esp if they have been on anti biotics. i would get myself duoxo ps shampoo and duoxo pads. they are great for yeast and can be ordered online at amazon or entirely pets. coconut is good for yeast to as is acv. i used it on sarahs pads and all over but it seemed to kinda sting her so i stopped using it. my dogs didnt like the acv in their water either and i didnt see really where it helped sarahs yeast must but thats just me. you can also get anti fungals to use on the yeast at the drug store such as tinactin and stuff for jock itch and athletes foot. i would put stuff on the yeast twice a day and on sarah i would bathe her twice a week to help with the itching. [MENTION=8990]luvnmymedic[/MENTION]

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Also, I've been told before not to start probiotics on him just yet. I don't really understand why if his issue somewhat starts in his gut. Should I start him on one? Which one?

I am absolutely no help here. I just noticed Seven`s name and was wondering if this is a reference to Seinfeld? Good luck in your battle against the yeast!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OP
luvnmymedic

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Bleach and vinegar should not be mixed together! A quick google search and found several topics related to it. Also, bleach should never be used on a bulldog's overly sensitive skin.... Add that with vinegar and you have a dangerous and potentially deadly combination!!!!

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/26/the-killing-power-of-bleach-and-vinegar.htm

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

OMG! Well, I won't do that again!!!! I was given that mixture recipe. I will just continue with the coconut oil rinse or nothing at all. The coconut oil rinse left his hair feeling weird. Aside from his feet, he has a spot on his face and his whole chin and throat are spot free. His raw and gross spots are improving. It is a slow, slow process. But yes, I do see improvement. My biggest concern is why, why, why is my baby so skinny?! Like I said, he eats two pounds a day. I think I'm going to go get him a probiotic tomorrow.
As for his name and is it a Seinfeld reference, I have no idea. I got him in May and his name was Seven. It is fitting for my house. My husband and I have four kids so Seven makes the seventh one in the house. He looks kind of like a Max sometimes. He can give an awesome stink eye.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How old is seven? Im asking because sometimes from age 4 months to about ten months they go through a very skinny phase, like a teenager- they have not filled out yet.

I'm glad the spots are improving, how long has he been on the new food?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.