AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Hello

Currently I am feeding Ozzy the DVP natural balance duck and legume With a splash of Ultra Oil. But after reading the dog food ratings post I didn't see my food listed and the only natural balance was a 3 star. So I'm concerned I may not be feeding him the right stuff.

I've heard about the BARF diet but that seems entirely complicated. So what's the best bulldog food out there? Is his current food any good?

Thanks!

AJ

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The ratings page has a lot of good foods listed. I and many others use Fromms and have had great success. We feed Harlea the Fromms Puppy Gold in the pink bag and will be switching her to the Fromms 4 Star grain free pork and peas in another month or so.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I have recently.switched to the same formula of natural balance and have seen an improvement over the fromm. I was concerned about the rating too but in reality every dog is different, and whatever causes the least troubles is best for that particular dog in my opinion. Good luck, I certainly.understand what you are going through. Some of the people at the pet store must have thought I was crazy when I would be in the dog food isles forever looking at the rating of each one!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i was wondering what was going on with natural balance as i have seen several of their limited ingredient formulas go from protein first listing to carb first listing such as potato and fish being fish is no longer the first ingredient thats bad. they also have a very low protein percentage. i used to be ok with this food as some bullies only did good on it but with these changes that is no longer true. i have also read that natural balance has been sold to del monte which as you know means the end of any dog food. i have also been reading on dog food advisor of dogs getting sick who have been eating this food for ages now are these things true i dunno but you can go read for yourself anyone who cares to. add that to the fact that they are manufactured by diamond who has one of the worst track records for manufacturing and it dont look good for this food. wish i had better news.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is doing well on the food he is eating, no skin issues, itching or anything else, I would just leave him on it. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would agree with the thought that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Natural Balance has never been one of the most highly rated foods but the LID line is one of the few dog food lines out there that cut out all the common food allergy ingredients and make a nice basic dog food for our pups that struggle with SO many different food allergies (at least that I have ever been able to find). Fromm is a great food but all their foods have chicken fat, pork or eggs, all of which are known to be ingredients that pups are commonly allergic to so that may not be the best option for those that struggle with food allergies. My Samson didn't do well on any of the Fromm formulas I tried. BUT you now do have another option that has a better rating than Natural Balance! Nature's Variety Instinct has come out with 4 limited ingredient formulas now and one happens to be duck so that would be an awesome choice for you if you really want to try a food that is rated better. I am giving my Samson the Nature's Variety LID lamb. There is no best dog food for ALL bullys :)

Last edited:

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
We feed Morgan Fromms ~ he loves the way it tastes and we love it because we have a healthy and happy bully :-)

OP
AJnSJ

AJnSJ

Aug 26, 2013
Bay Area, Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ozzy
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We were in Napa over the weekend and the pet store lady said that most of the customers whom have mastiffs and bully's were using this formula. The legume (garbanzo beans and peas) absorbed better than carbs like wheat rice etc. anyway she recommended adding the Ultra Oil to his food and he seems to like it.

I am concerned about DVP being manufactured by Del Monte because Iams and other foods that were good to start with turned into junk once they were acquired and sold in Wal Marts etc.

i think the next bag ill try the natures instinct or Blue wilderness because I'd really like to get him on something good and stable I can trust.

You guys are awesome. Such quick thoughtful feedback. god I'm so glad I found this forum!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.