Rough coat and shedding issues!

Norman

Jul 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Coopers coat is rough and always shedding ! I'm about to switch him to fromms but what should Flavor should I try? Also , does anyone use the fromms gold?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The Fromm gold is rated less than the 4* range, so you will find that just about all Fromm users on here use the 4*.

We personally use the Beef Friitata because it is grain free and chicken free. Linus and Daddy don't seem to have any food issues but Bella doesn't seem to do well with grain and chicken so we stick to that flavour.

And maybe try some salmon oil for a softer coat. Most people find that once they find the right food it cuts down on the shedding and the coats gets much softer, but I also find the Grizzly salmon oil helps with that too!!

OP
N

Norman

Jul 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Thanks, we have been using the salmon oil. Almost used a whole bottle. Still the hair is rough to the touch and he keeps getting irritation on his paws. He also gets little rough patches on his skin.

OP
N

Norman

Jul 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Im going to try the 4 star and pray it works. He has had the issues forever. I have never felt a bulldog with hair as rough a his. We saw another bulldog at the vet yesterday and it made me realize just how bad his coat is

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
I feed my youngster Pork and applesauce Fromm and her coat is so soft. I have 2 of my others on the reduced fat and there coat looks horrible right now so I am getting ready to switch them over. You could also get some Theracoat which will help make the coat thicker and softer.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Norman It could be the food he is eating especially if you are already giving him salmon oil. When you switch him over to Fromm remeber it does take a month for the old food to work out of the system also remeber to do a slow transition of food otherwise he will have explosive poop.

Fergus has been eating Pork and Peas grain free for 5 months now and has a wonderful soft coat. He still sheds but its not as bad as when we got him from the breeder. I do give him 1 tablespoon of salmon oil mixed in with dinner and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in with breakfast a day. Also 1 tablespoon of plain kiefer/ yogurt.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
@Norman It could be the food he is eating especially if you are already giving him salmon oil. When you switch him over to Fromm remeber it does take a month for the old food to work out of the system also remeber to do a slow transition of food otherwise he will have explosive poop.

Fergus has been eating Pork and Peas grain free for 5 months now and has a wonderful soft coat. He still sheds but its not as bad as when we got him from the breeder. I do give him 1 tablespoon of salmon oil mixed in with dinner and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil mixed in with breakfast a day. Also 1 tablespoon of plain kiefer/ yogurt.
the yogurt we give as a treat.

OP
N

Norman

Jul 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
His coat is also very thin. And his skin is flakey.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
It might be dry skin if it flakey ,
Use a gentle shampoos that will not strip their skin from natural oil like oatmeal,adding salmon oil to their diet is great thing to do and you are on a right track ,keep using it personally i saw results after few months of using it
Daily brushing helps ,and switching to better quality dog food
If flaky skin dont improve visit your vet he will prescribe medicated shampoo

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the gang has given you great advice..... keep us posted on Cooper's progress

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online