When to change from puppy food that breeder was feeding?

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hi! We are new bulldog owners to Stella who is almost 14 weeks. The breeder was feeding her Iams pro active health large breed puppy. Looking at the reviews, that is not a good choice! We are wondering at what age to change her over. Should I just finish the very large bag we purchased while slowly introducing a new one? Which food has everyone had the best luck with?? I just had her at the vet yesterday for her shots. She is 17.8 pounds, which the vet said was "an excellent weight" I uploaded a few pictures to an album from her first few weeks with us.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well no iams is not good food really it used to be but not since p&g got ahold of it. lots here use fromm puppy in the pink bag with good success. blue buffalo makes a freedom puppy and a wilderness puppy. thats all i can think of this early. i can do more if needed.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Lil Amy who is almost 6 months will be on Fromm Puppy in the pink bag til she is 10 months. We will then try to transition her to Fromm Beef Frittata that Princess Gracie eats so we dont have to have two different foods.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is right. IAMS is not that good of a food and they just recently had a major recall to boot. We use Fromms Gold Puppy pink bag and have had great success. Others used Fromms 4 Star Grain Free which is an all stages food that is god for puppies and adults and still others that use Blue grain free lines with success. You should check out the dog food ratings post in the site as it has a lot of good info in it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You received good advice from members above, we switched our guys from Royal Canin that the breeder was feeding them. We switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and they are both doing amazing on this food.

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
We feed our Morgan (will be 13 weeks old on Tuesday) Fromms Puppy Gold (in the pink bag). When he became part of our family at 8 weeks, he was on Purina Pro Plan/Puppy/Focus which, like the Iams, isn't the best food out there. For the first weeks, we didn't make any food changes. We figured he was under enough stress with a twelve hour car ride from our breeders home to ours, plus leaving everyone and everything he had ever known. Then, very slowly, we began mixing the Fromms in with the Purina. (1/4 Fromms to 3/4 Purina for 5 days, then 1/2 of each for 5 days, then 3/4 Fromms to 1/4 Purina for 5 days, then all Fromms) We went very slowly to avoid any tummy upsets. Funny thing ~ Morgan would actually try and pick out the Fromms and leave the Purina. We will eventually transition to one of the 4 star Fromms all life stages foods when Morgan is a little older. Personally, I would not wait to begin transitioning to a better food. This is an important time developmentally for your little one. I, too, had 90% of a large bag of the breeder recommended food that our local animal shelter was delighted to receive. We also give Morgan NuVet supplements... he thinks he is getting a treat :-) Isn't having a bully just wonderful?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag. Right now I have two 15 week old pups that are on FROMM Pork and Peas. The only reason we switched them was because Pearl is a picky eater and stopped eating the FROMM Puppy, so we tried he on the Pork N Peas and she ate is so we put them both on it, as it is an all stage food and can be given to pups.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
You can transition immediately, just do it slowly. We switched to iVet, which our bully vet sells. I had just purchased a huge bag of food that the breeder fed her, so what the vet told me to do is mix the two foods and wean her off the old one. So at first, mostly old food, 1/4 new food. See how that is on the tummy for a week, then move to half and half. Then 3/4 new food, and a little bit of old. If that's okay, transition completely!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi! We are new bulldog owners to Stella who is almost 14 weeks. The breeder was feeding her Iams pro active health large breed puppy. Looking at the reviews, that is not a good choice! We are wondering at what age to change her over. Should I just finish the very large bag we purchased while slowly introducing a new one? Which food has everyone had the best luck with?? I just had her at the vet yesterday for her shots. She is 17.8 pounds, which the vet said was "an excellent weight" I uploaded a few pictures to an album from her first few weeks with us.

Well I see you got a pretty much unanimous advice, so on that note I'd like to say :welcome3: to the EBN family

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.