Thread: When to change from puppy food that breeder was feeding?

Real Name
    Carrie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Question When to change from puppy food that breeder was feeding?

Hi! We are new bulldog owners to Stella who is almost 14 weeks. The breeder was feeding her Iams pro active health large breed puppy. Looking at the reviews, that is not a good choice! We are wondering at what age to change her over. Should I just finish the very large bag we purchased while slowly introducing a new one? Which food has everyone had the best luck with?? I just had her at the vet yesterday for her shots. She is 17.8 pounds, which the vet said was "an excellent weight" I uploaded a few pictures to an album from her first few weeks with us.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When to change from puppy food that breeder was feeding?

well no iams is not good food really it used to be but not since p&g got ahold of it. lots here use fromm puppy in the pink bag with good success. blue buffalo makes a freedom puppy and a wilderness puppy. thats all i can think of this early. i can do more if needed.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Lil Amy who is almost 6 months will be on Fromm Puppy in the pink bag til she is 10 months. We will then try to transition her to Fromm Beef Frittata that Princess Gracie eats so we dont have to have two different foods.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@cowsmom is right. IAMS is not that good of a food and they just recently had a major recall to boot. We use Fromms Gold Puppy pink bag and have had great success. Others used Fromms 4 Star Grain Free which is an all stages food that is god for puppies and adults and still others that use Blue grain free lines with success. You should check out the dog food ratings post in the site as it has a lot of good info in it.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

You received good advice from members above, we switched our guys from Royal Canin that the breeder was feeding them. We switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and they are both doing amazing on this food.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Terri
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
    Likes (Received)

We feed our Morgan (will be 13 weeks old on Tuesday) Fromms Puppy Gold (in the pink bag). When he became part of our family at 8 weeks, he was on Purina Pro Plan/Puppy/Focus which, like the Iams, isn't the best food out there. For the first weeks, we didn't make any food changes. We figured he was under enough stress with a twelve hour car ride from our breeders home to ours, plus leaving everyone and everything he had ever known. Then, very slowly, we began mixing the Fromms in with the Purina. (1/4 Fromms to 3/4 Purina for 5 days, then 1/2 of each for 5 days, then 3/4 Fromms to 1/4 Purina for 5 days, then all Fromms) We went very slowly to avoid any tummy upsets. Funny thing ~ Morgan would actually try and pick out the Fromms and leave the Purina. We will eventually transition to one of the 4 star Fromms all life stages foods when Morgan is a little older. Personally, I would not wait to begin transitioning to a better food. This is an important time developmentally for your little one. I, too, had 90% of a large bag of the breeder recommended food that our local animal shelter was delighted to receive. We also give Morgan NuVet supplements... he thinks he is getting a treat :-) Isn't having a bully just wonderful?

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We feed our pups FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag. Right now I have two 15 week old pups that are on FROMM Pork and Peas. The only reason we switched them was because Pearl is a picky eater and stopped eating the FROMM Puppy, so we tried he on the Pork N Peas and she ate is so we put them both on it, as it is an all stage food and can be given to pups.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

You can transition immediately, just do it slowly. We switched to iVet, which our bully vet sells. I had just purchased a huge bag of food that the breeder fed her, so what the vet told me to do is mix the two foods and wean her off the old one. So at first, mostly old food, 1/4 new food. See how that is on the tummy for a week, then move to half and half. Then 3/4 new food, and a little bit of old. If that's okay, transition completely!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MyStellaBully View Post
    Hi! We are new bulldog owners to Stella who is almost 14 weeks. The breeder was feeding her Iams pro active health large breed puppy. Looking at the reviews, that is not a good choice! We are wondering at what age to change her over. Should I just finish the very large bag we purchased while slowly introducing a new one? Which food has everyone had the best luck with?? I just had her at the vet yesterday for her shots. She is 17.8 pounds, which the vet said was "an excellent weight" I uploaded a few pictures to an album from her first few weeks with us.

Well I see you got a pretty much unanimous advice, so on that note I'd like to say to the EBN family
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Remove Ads