Canned pumpkin v/s pumpkin pie filling?

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
Wasn't really sure if this was an appropriate place to post this, but we're dealing with a little constipation issue due to food change. She's been getting a little canned food added to the kibble and then when the rough stuff came about, I added a little water to try and help. She's still having a bit of trouble, so was gonna add some pumpkin. My closest grocery store had canned pumpkin pie filling, and alongside it was canned pumpkin...didn't say 'pie filling'..? I'm not sure if it is or not, so my question is, is there anything in the ingredients, etc, that I can look at and tell if it's ok to use? I think I did see that it had sugar in it, which doesn't sound right, but I've no idea...I know nothing about pumpkin, other than how to carve one...bleck...sorry to any punkin pie lovers...haha! :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You want the one where the ingredients say 100% pumpkin. The pie filling has sugars and other spices that might aggravate an already upset digestive system. You can also give him a banana to help firm him up.

OP
EmmaOnDuty

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
Aha, I see...this is def not 100% pumpkin! Thanks so much! And thanks for the banana tip, too...although she needs un-firming, so that probably wouldn't be a good idea... ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if she is that firm the pumpkin should help and perhaps up the canned food as it has alot of water in it. also you could give fruit with alot of water content. watermelon and strawberries were at the top and blueberries had quite a bit to along with grapefuit. if this keeps up with the new food and doesnt get better you may have to look at a new one. you dont want to keep feeding a food that makes your dog constipated all the time. id give it a couple of weeks and see if its better.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You are in good hands with the advice you have been given already. All i can add is hope everything clears up soon.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can also try to up her food intake a little but NVI does make very solid poo, but if its too solid it may be not enough. Adding a but of water and all the above suggestions should work but honestly you should not have to work that hard to get a nice consistency in their poo. She may also be transitioning to it and could improve with time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Nothing to add other than.... Hope everything 'comes out' ok :laugh:

OP
EmmaOnDuty

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
Nothing to add other than.... Hope everything 'comes out' ok :laugh:

I see what ya did there...:goodone:

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! She did fantastic through and after the transition (actually much better because for roughly two weeks on the previous food, she was soft-serve) but then there was a day where she drank very little to no water...I'm thinkin that may be the culprit for the last 2 days of harder poo..? She's been drinking more water, and with the tiny bit I've added to the last two feedings, a late night trip outside last night yielded much better results. She didn't go a lot, but it was looser. Sooo, you're right about not working that hard with her food, but I'm hoping it is just everything balancing out, and lack of water. :pray:

OP
EmmaOnDuty

EmmaOnDuty

Aug 21, 2013
Kentucky
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma Blue
Okay, just an update...we ventured out to go 'potty' and viola! We got some good-lookin results! I never thought I'd be so excited about poo! She was happy, too...she frolicked around like a little diva (maybe that was the result of my overly dramatic excitement, tho...haha)!
But, anyways, thanks guys! :clap:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online