Question about food

mikey'ss

Feb 13, 2010
Oxnard So.Cal.
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargent
Thanks for the input, I have been doing a lil research on the buffalo blue food, I'm impressed with the ingredients they use and I see it's rated 4 stars. It seems to be readily available at most local pet stores also. I think i am gonna make the switch in the over the next couple of weeks.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
If you take some before and after pictures that would be great! We are going to do a "then & now" on dog food change as well!

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Awesome, thanks! It will take 2-4 weeks to see a big difference, so be patient! But I saw results within 2 days on Molly, but she was having an allergic reaction so that was a BIG difference.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Bulldog, do you have any idea how these ratings are determined? Like Wellness Core Ocean gets a 6 star and Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Salmon got a 4. I just thought that was odd because Wellness Ocean is whitefish based and Natural Balance is exclusively salmon. As I understand salmon is much more nutritious than whitefish. Thats how I made my decision to feed Samson Natural Balance versus Wellness.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Tessa&Samson, I understand your concern with the ratings. However, it should be duely noted, and I did state this information on the page, the the ratings are for ALL DOGS. Bulldogs are a bit different, (like we all don't know that already!) :p

From looking at the dog food analysis site, they base much of their ratings on protien content. So what they call a 6 star food may not be a 6 star for a bulldog. Wellness Core has a lot more protein content than wellness super5mix. I still say-- in my honest opinion, most bulldogs, due to their allergic nature, will quite potentially do better on a 4 star rated grain free food than a 6 star rated food.

Here is the link to how they come up with their ratings. I think they do a fine job. But do NOT feel as though you are not giving your dog the best if you give a 4 star food, because if it does well for them, stick with it! Molly is on Avoderm Lamb & Rice and doing so well on it- I may try another food to see how it does for her, but I am pleased with Avoderm right now.

What I am NOT pleased with is Royal Canine. I see no improvement in Jesse whatsoever. I will be switching Jesse to Canidae because she has terrible tear stains- but she does not have allergies OR entropion. Just nasty tear stains. They have improved, but only very little since the switch over 3 weeks ago. One of the ingredients in Royal Canine Bulldog is powdered beets. Before that, I was feeding Iams, which made her tear stains disgusting and brown. (I know, awful right?) Since I switched Molly to Avoderm, she is tear stain free, yeast free, itch free! If Jesse improves after the switch to Canidae, you will all be the very first to know!!! If I see no improvement with Canidae, I will also put her on Avoderm with molly. Just trying a few different foods before I make my final choice. :)

Also I would like to note, Royal Canine is a great brand of dog food. *But* cost vs. amount of food per day (4-5 cups), not entirely worth it. Avoderm is 2-3 cups a day, about the same price. And no tear stains? That is worth a fortune if you ask me! It will take me a few months to get this all "tested", but definately looking forward to giving some results to everyone. I was going to try Wellness, but it is not convenient for me to find or get locally.

Oh, yes, and here is that link! http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-do-you-rate-the-foods.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6653.jpg
    IMG_6653.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_9644.jpg
    IMG_9644.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9664.jpg
    IMG_9664.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7164.jpg
    IMG_7164.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9016.jpg
    IMG_9016.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3549.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5867.jpg
    IMG_5867.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6274.jpg
    IMG_6274.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9784.jpg
    IMG_9784.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2272.jpg
    IMG_2272.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8948.jpg
    IMG_8948.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8949.jpg
    IMG_8949.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8957.jpg
    IMG_8957.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8962.jpg
    IMG_8962.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 78

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Bulldog thank you so much! I think I worry too much, I just try to give him the best. Yeah I read the ingredients on the Royal Canine for a English Bulldogs and was not impressed. I was really disappointed to see Natura Foods was sold to Proctor & Gamble. I don't feed Samson it any more because it wasn't the best choice for his allergies but I thought Innova was a really good food. What a shame! Thats one thing I can say about Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon is it didn't just help tremendously with his allergies but his tear stains cleared but super nicely. You'd think he was a puppy not 4 years old! I will try to find some good pictures to show the before and after for the site. I hope Jesse does better on Canidae! I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 73

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online