When to increase food amount?

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
I'm wondering when you know it's time to increase your puppy's food amount?

Bosco is currently on 1/2 a cup of Fromm's Pork and Peas, 3x a day (he is almost 4 months old and about 20lbs). The amounts directed on the bag are so vague - and it seems like according to that we are overfeeding him, but I don't think we are because he's quite lean.

I've read online that when your puppy seems hungry/able to handle more food, then increase its intake of food. But that doesn't work for my Bosco because he will say no to food, even if he's full!

Just wondering how you all know how much food to give your little bullies? :confused:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I got the same problem ...
Last time i was following the feeding guide on the pack i overfeed Shy!
My vet told me not to worry about Lilys weight until shes 6 months old as she still grow (then knowing my luck she got to go on the diet)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, 3 3/4 cups 3 times a day until they hit 18 months. That's what I've always gone by. You already have him on pork and peas, did you start with Fromms puppy gold?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well...my vet says..ignore what the bags say..go by your dog. Jake was 1/2 cup three times a day until 6 months old. We then SLOWLY increased his am and PM feedings to 1 cup each...while reducing the midday feeding at the same time. So at the end of 10 days..no more lunch! :whistle: but..Jake still gets a cookie at lunch! ;)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm not going to be much help. What you feed Boscoe and what Becky fed Jake seem like small amounts compared to what Amelia was getting. Until 2 weeks ago she was eating 3 cups of Fromm puppy (pink bag) per day in three feedings. She had slowly worked up to the full cup each feeding because at first she would only eat about a 1/3 cup a day, then 2/3. then acted hungry right after that so was getting the full cup.
When she went in for her spay at the beginning of this month her vet had us cut back to 2 to 2 1/2 cups but added a vitamin but said we should keep her on puppy food until she's 10 months old at least because her bones need the additional nutrients in the puppy food, but she needed less calories and more nutrients to grow bone and cartilage but not fat. She is in no way overweight but she's growing so fast that it appears she's going to get huge if we didn't cut her back and because of her hips we need to keep her a tad underweight and try to slow her growth a bit. So now she's getting 2/3 cups 3 times a day = 2 cups, plus her "treats" are also her kibble. She still gained 2 lbs in 10 days, and she acts like we are starving her between meals now where she didn't before.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm not going to be much help. What you feed Boscoe and what Becky fed Jake seem like small amounts compared to what Amelia was getting. Until 2 weeks ago she was eating 3 cups of Fromm puppy (pink bag) per day in three feedings. She had slowly worked up to the full cup each feeding because at first she would only eat about a 1/3 cup a day, then 2/3. then acted hungry right after that so was getting the full cup.
When she went in for her spay at the beginning of this month her vet had us cut back to 2 to 2 1/2 cups but added a vitamin but said we should keep her on puppy food until she's 10 months old at least because her bones need the additional nutrients in the puppy food, but she needed less calories and more nutrients to grow bone and cartilage but not fat. She is in no way overweight but she's growing so fast that it appears she's going to get huge if we didn't cut her back and because of her hips we need to keep her a tad underweight and try to slow her growth a bit. So now she's getting 2/3 cups 3 times a day = 2 cups, plus her "treats" are also her kibble. She still gained 2 lbs in 10 days, and she acts like we are starving her between meals now where she didn't before.

Lol! Well..Jake wasn't ever on puppy food..just an all stage and he STILL gets only 1 cup twice a day. But he would act like he's starving even if he ate the whole bag...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have fretted over this as well. We tried feeding Harlea 3/4 3x a day and she had explosive poo. Next we tried 1 cup twice a day with the same result. What wound up working best for her is 3/4 cup twice a day and a mix of fruits and veggies throughout the day and we have no runny poo issues. Vet says she lools great and is gaining weight and growing normally so we are going to stick with it as it is working for her. All bullies are different so what works for one may not work for another so you will have some trial and error to find the perfect balance.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i believe the guidelines are your dogs weight as in are they overweight or underweight and your dogs :poo: is it firm or is it runny. every dog is different and whats enough for one is not enough for another. some do 3/4 cup 3 times a day while others do 1 cup 3 times a day. i think at 6 months you cut out the lunch and just distrubuted the food over 2 feedings instead of 3

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we fed our two guys 1 cup three times a day as puppies, until they were 7 months old, then we switched them to adult Fromms Beef Frittata, and reduced their feedings to 1 cup twice a day, plus their extras of plain unsweetened yogurt, and fruits like cut up apples, strawberries, banana, and veggies like green beans, and peppers.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have fretted over this as well. We tried feeding Harlea 3/4 3x a day and she had explosive poo. Next we tried 1 cup twice a day with the same result. What wound up working best for her is 3/4 cup twice a day and a mix of fruits and veggies throughout the day and we have no runny poo issues. Vet says she lools great and is gaining weight and growing normally so we are going to stick with it as it is working for her. All bullies are different so what works for one may not work for another so you will have some trial and error to find the perfect balance.

Yup! We tried numerous times to increase Jakes food by just 1/4 cup..every single time, he got mushy poo! So we just decided...he can't handle any extra. Who would've thought just 1/4 cup could do so much!

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
We do 3/4 breakfast, 1/2 at lunch, and 3/4 at dinner of Fromm's Beef Frittata now. Poo has been holding steady finally!

Most Reactions