Food, Help + 2nd Opinion Please

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
I'll try to keep this short. No promises!

Salo is 5 months old. He's been sick twice in the 2 months I've had him. First kennel cough and now 3-4 weeks later, pneumonia. My breeder advised against giving him the bortadella vaccine. I listened.

My breeder asked me to not change his food. Proform All Life Kennel Blend. They swear by it, their dogs are great, and other puppies they've sold have developed allergies when their food was changed. Vet advises against changing it because bulldogs are sensitive and because he never sees my breeder's dogs in his clinic.

Thoughts:

* I can accept that the kennel cough probably didn't fully clear up, thus the pneumonia. Regardless, food plays a role in immune systems
* Lady that sells his food says its the least nutritional food they have. Not the first person to knock the stuff
* I found some of the ingredients on the bad list in the top 5 food article elsewhere on this site
* Breeder's dogs aren't exposed to the same things my dog is (parks & daycare being the big two)
* Since day 1, stool is more often soggy than 100% solid.

Questions:

* Would you switch food? From what I've read, I like Fromm, Orijen, and their interchangeable options I can always switch back to the breeder's choice if it doesn't go over well
* With Orijen and high protein in mind, what is considered active? My puppy sleeps all the time. He's a completely different dog when he's at the park or sees another dog. Granted he can't run (yet) to save his life, but his energy level is different
* Maybe his overall energy level will change with different food?
* At this point, would you give him the botadella vaccine?

Thx...

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
If your pup is going to day care or dog parks he should get the bordatella vaccine. Otherwise you risk your pup getting kennel cough again. The doggy daycare we have put our pups in requires we show proof of all vaccines especially bordatella since it is so contagious.

many here including myself use Fromm with great success. Each pup is different how they will do with a diet change. If you do switch do a slow transition.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi there, and Welcome! Where in Canada are you located? I am in eastern Ontario.
I didn't even know that the company making your food made a dog food - I have seen it for large farm livestock.

So I have 2 babies, they are both 2 now. I had them on Wellness puppy for the first 9 months and they were great. I switched them to Wellness adult around then (because of weight gain concerns, high calorie puppy food!). They were great. When they turned 1, some allergies started. We weren't sure if they were seasonal allergies or food related, but after a loooong year of trial and error (Wellness varieties, Fromm, Nature's Instinct LID, etc. etc. etc. you can search my posts if you are dying to know the entire list!). After tons of rounds of antibiotics and issues, we caved and put them on prescription vet food - MediCal hypoallergenic HP. My guys are allergic to animal proteins, grains, dairy... they can't even seem to handle a hydrolized chicken vet food. This one is a hydrolized soy-based food (yes, my guys are vegetarians!! LOL!). I haven't looked back since. There are some mild seasonal allergies, now with ragweed starting I have been giving them a couple of benadryls and it is going well.

SO: to answer your question. Look at the ingredients on your food. Do some research. Touch base with some of folks on here who know their stuff (@cowsmom, [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]). My guys allergies' showed up after a year, which I don't think is unusual. I also transitioned them from whatever my breeder had them on (he said it was what he fed his dogs, I forget the name) but he said he wanted me to discuss with my vet and to make my own decisions on what to feed my dogs. (He is awesome).

And for the vaccine - yeah, be careful. I didn't expose my guys to other dogs until they had all their shots complete.... but again, discuss with your vet and with the folks here.

Best Wishes!!! :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the advice above, if you dog is around other dogs I would get that vaccine! So many dogs catch kennel cough & they are not supposed to be around other dogs because it's so contagious... The food issue is something I have just started myself. My vet suggested Purina One of all things. I don't listen to my vet when it comes to food, I trust the peeps on here... LOL I started Winston on Fromms large breed puppy, and now we are using the Beef Fritta. Of course what works for me, may not be the best for your baby. It's a trial & error type of thing... Whatever you do take a slow transition on the food, that could make his poops worse. Good Luck :D

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You have been given some good advice already. I know around here it is the law that all dog's have all the vaccines or else you can be fined and/or lose your pet plus all day cares, boarding and grooming place and dog parks require it as well. Kennel cough is serious because of how easily it is spread so I would recommend they get vaccinated for it. I do know that bullies are supposed to get the shot form of the vaccine and not the spray form.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well if you are going to use the proform food the back to basics line is the only one i would really recommend. i cannot find an ingredients list for the kennel blend so i dunno bout it. food plays an important part in how your dogs is now and later. orijen is fantastic food and long as your dog is ok allergy wise it should be fine and being as you are in canada you should be able to get the puppy one. i would go with that anyday or fromm is excellent to. i would get the vaccine and just make sure they do the shot and not the nasal vaccine. i get it for sarah.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.