Can food allergy cause hot sores/ hot spots?

JennyeStear

I've Got A Get Out Of Jail Free Card!
Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
By accident last night got another fur baby Ellie Mae. Her previous family didn't want her because she was becoming "too much trouble". Now, she has a forever home with Jagger and I.
She has been eating some Wal-Mart store brand food that was not for sensitive dogs.

She seems to have like hot spots on the back of her neck and A LOT of small ones on her neck and chest. She also has yeast in her nose wrinkles. ( I am actively treating)
The small ones look just like the ones that Jagger had that went away with proper feeding and grooming.
My concern are the big areas on the back of her neck.
She got started last night on a homemade, simple, bland diet along with Benadryl and a supplement. ( She is quite thin)

She's not scratching or rubbing. My vet says it's not mange.....
This is the only area like this on her body. It does looks as though she has a sore on the inside of her ear. Also, her ears and around her nose and mouth are very pink.

I have a very strong feeling that most of this is caused by poor diet and lack of care and grooming.
But can the poor food quality cause her to have these skin issues?

She is a year old and is up to date on all her vaccines. I know this for a fact I had my vet call and get her vaccination record faxed to them. She is very sweet and calm, just really wanted a family to love. I picked her up at 10pm last night and paid them $550 so they would not surrender her to a breeder ( which I believe is a puppy mill in this area).

This is my 2nd bulldog. Jagger had a slight skin issue when I got him. His trouble was more of food and being allergic to everything. We now have this all under control and he is happy, healthy and sassy. I am not experienced in dealing with skin afflictions this severe or yeast in the wrinkles. Any thoughts or helpful ideas are greatly appreciated.
Ellie1.jpgEllie Mae
ellie2.jpgThe back of her neck - this is the worst area
jagger5.jpgThis is Jagger and Cate ( Jagger is obviously doing well)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First THANK YOU for giving her a new loving home!! And, yes, food allergies will cause the issues you listed. once you get that crappy food out of her system, give it about a month, she should be in great shape.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
First THANK YOU for giving her a new loving home!! And, yes, food allergies will cause the issues you listed. once you get that crappy food out of her system, give it about a month, she should be in great shape.

Ok thank you.... My only other thing is the yeast in her wrinkles, I really am not well versed on treating this. Right now I am using a solution of peroxide, vinegar and water the clean them - then also rubbing an anti- fungal in them once I have wiped them dry. She doesn't complain when I do this. The only time she let me know she was uncomfortable was when I cleaned the ear with sores.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok thank you.... My only other thing is the yeast in her wrinkles, I really am not well versed on treating this. Right now I am using a solution of peroxide, vinegar and water the clean them - then also rubbing an anti- fungal in them once I have wiped them dry. She doesn't complain when I do this. The only time she let me know she was uncomfortable was when I cleaned the ear with sores.

that will work, give it time. i also use witch hazel and when they are real bad I put some desitin on to help with the rawness of the skin. again, this is probably from the crappy food... good luck with her and keep us posted

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
that will work, give it time. i also use witch hazel and when they are real bad I put some desitin on to help with the rawness of the skin. again, this is probably from the crappy food... good luck with her and keep us posted

Alright, I can give her time. Like I told my vet, " I've got the time, patience and money". Guess I just want her better now :). I have Jagger who is the prime example of well cared for and loved. Now, I have poor Ellie that looks awful. Well, hopefully it will all start getting better. She has another appointment with the vet in 2 weeks to make sure she is gaining weight.

Thanks

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. Awesome that you have opened your home to this baby. Her previous owners probably didn't know how to deal with these issues but she has you now and is better for it. You have been given good advice so it will just take time and love on your part to get her better. Good Luck.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
You have been given great advice and its WONDERFUL that you were able to take this beautiful little girl into your home now she will know love and care. Like they said the other humans probably didn't have any idea how to care for a bulldog nor have the thought or care to get on the internet to figure out what could be causing her ailments. She is a beautiful fur baby that will fill out soon as she blossoms under yours and Jaggers care.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thank you for saving this sweet girl, I agree with Christine totally, the only other suggestion I could add would be to supplement her diet with salmon oil either liquid in her food or you can get pills at walmart. It will help her coat and skin.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Aawww .. what a sweet bully girl. She looks so sad, but it will be fascinating to watch her grow back to full health under your care.

I can't add any more to what Christine has already told you to do about the hot spots etc!!!

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I'm going to buy the salmon oil tonight. I'm going to start giving it to Jagger also. I've noticed him starting to itch, he's shedding like mad and when I roll through his hair he seems to be developing some dry areas. It will be good for them both

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh bless you for taking this baby in. the only thing i can add is if these big areas are hot spots and they are to the point of being moist then shaving is a must so the area can dry out and heal and some peroxide on the areas also. if it just red then no shaving is required but i would try some peroxide just in case. there is a sticky at the top of this thread with great info on hot spots. i love duoxo ps shampoo for these problem areas also and can be ordered from amazon. be careful when adding things like salmon oil to the diet as bullies can have allergies to this as well. just do it slowly and see if they are alright with it. cant add anything to the wrinkle thing more than you are doing. duoxo pads are also good to have on hand for these issues of the skin. you can do some immune boosting things and zinc 50mg i pill a day is good for bullies with skin issues.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It may not be allergie for some food, but just that the food is crap. So allergie for crappy food is the main reason for skin problems. Her nose rope and wrinkles will get better with better food as well. I use colloidal silver and Desitin for irritated wrinkles.

OP
JennyeStear

JennyeStear

Jun 3, 2013
Lowell, AR
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger and Ellie
I am only giving them the fish oil every other day to make sure it's not too much for them. I gave them both a good oatmeal bath last night. Ellie was a perfect example of a well mannered bulldog in the tub. I was so surprised!!! Her face is no longer bright pink it has calmed a lot. Her nose wrinkles are beginning to look better there is one worse than the other. Jagger I believe is just his skin being itchy from allergies. But I have a wrap on his neck to keep him from scratching an area he irritated. But they are both going in the morning to the vet. I want them to look at Jagger skin just to make sure it nothing but his allergies. And Ellie is getting heart worm tested and a spray for her skin and an ointment for her wrinkles. I went today and picked up Jagger's prescription allergy medicine. They are both being fed well. A diet of boiled hamburger- rice - peas and eggs blended up with the shells that are scrambles- and a supplement.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.