Multivitamin & Glugosamine for English Bulldog Puppy?

B

Baxter Tiberius

More advice from the breeder I want to run by you guys:

1) Get him a good multivitamin and give it to him every day.

2) Put him on Glucosamine supplement daily starting now (8 weeks old).

-----------------------------

1) Agree or disagree?

2) Exactly which brands should I use if you agree?

Thank you.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Multivitamin is just like multivitamin for us- I give them but not sure I I notice a whole heck of alot of difference. I think that 8 weeks might be too young to notice and effects of giving glucosamine. I could be wrong though.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Make sure the multi vitamin is for specifically for dogs ex. Hardy pet. Human multi vitamins can be harmful to dogs. Someone with more knowledge can answer the glucosamine question.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't know about the vitamins, I haven't started Winston on them yet but I think they like NuVet on here. I give glucosamine & chondroitin to my boxer (GNC Ultra Mega from PetSmart) but she's 9 years old. I also take the human form for myself, but I don't understand why a puppy would need that unless he's having issues?!! Idk maybe I'm wrong on this...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I dont' use a multivitamin for my bullies but they do get a combination of a very good food and home cooked. I add egg shells for extra calcium three times a week to their food.

I give greek natural yogurt for the probiotics ... we all know how sensitive a bully stomach can be!!!

I also use Grizzly Salmon Oil for their joints and immune system. Helps make their coat shiny and soft too and less shedding.

Bella is allergic to salmon so for her she gets Dasuquin, which is a chondroitin, glucosamine and MSM supplement. But she has luxating patellas in her two back legs and that was the main reason for putting her on the Dasuquin.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have Harlea on HardyPet Complete which like NuVet has bone and joint care supplements in it. She also gets salmon oil 3x a week and daily yogurt plus other fruits and veggies.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Im noticing more and more that EB's have dietary needs exactly like humans. Multivitamins are somewhat of a farce with humans, as I have been learning from recent studies. Anything synthetic isn't best, but more importantly, you can end up getting larger doses than you really should be, especially with those mega multi vitamins from GNC. In the human forms you can see they put 500% - 10,000% the recommended daily dose of things.

As per a lot of my medical reading lately, if a human is ingesting many vegetable types of all colors, and fruits, grass fed non hormone meats, and probiotics, they don't need a multivitamin at all. These things contain all the same vitamins, and in a 100% natural form. The only exception to this would be in the case of a deficiency which would be identified by a blood test. I imagine that if my bulldog is getting veggies, fruits, healthy meats, and probiotics, that they probably don't need vitamins. Unless there is some deficiency that EB's tend to have.

I have been giving him KEFIR and Olive Oil with all his meals though. Healthy fats are extremely important for brain and nerve health in humans, and I assume the same in EB's.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
My breeder had my BD on Sure Grow 100 and NuVet from day one. She said shes seen great success with this combo. So I continued the routine. The sure grow is a bone and joint supplement basically from what I have read that you give up to 1 year of age. I figured it cant hurt to give him since a lot of EBD have joint issues early on while growing. Oh and a fish pill for the shiny coat :yes:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Amy's vet just prescribed vitamins and we do give her a joint supplement also. But it's because of her luxated hips so that we keep her on the thin side, but still give her what she needs to develop bone and muscle without the calories of the normal amount of puppy food. We cut her food back because she was not heavy, but growing very fast, and this will hopefully slow things down.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would not give a puppy that young an multivitamin, until he is over 25 lbs, and then I would just give a half of one per day until about 6 months of age. Plus I would only use either HardyPet Complete or NuVet Plus. As far as the Glucosamine, we never give our pups or any of our bullies this. I may start giving them this when they get older, as in over 8 years of age.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im not sure if a puppy needs either of these till they are a bit older. bullies can have digestive issues when they are young such as diarrhea so i would not think you would do this with a young pup. as always natural is better but if your feeding kibble then perhaps later on you might give a vitamin every other day or something. most here like nuvet. as far as joint meds if you have a need for it later petco and tractor supply have a great one i use on sarah called overby farms hip flex. there are 3 levels. whats in it depends on what level you get. level 2 sarah uses has glucosamine msm tart cherry vit c flaxseed oil and vit e. i was told by [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you could use human vitamins but not ones with i think it was xylitol or something in it i would have to check with her on that one.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
I started Franklin on cosequin it has glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, when he was about 4-5 months his hips where popping every time he would walk an now it a year later an I can tell a difference no popping he's jumping more, running more I'm glad I started when he was young I don't know about the multivitamin but I would do the Cosequin it's about $22 for 60 tabs I give both my dogs one a day so it last a month so for 22 bucks and if you just give it to one dog it will last 2 months hope this helps an you can get it anywhere even the grocery store

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
My vet said Agnes has "loose" back knees. She's 8 months. He said it may not be serious and we'll keep an eye on them as she grows. He recommended a daily treat with glucosamine called Hip Action. She loves them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.