General Question Crap. Allergic to Fromm?!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Crap. We recently moved Remi to 75% Fromm Pork and Peas and 25% current diet of NVI Lamb. Remi started developing a rash on his belly that has only gotten worse, despite my treating it with PS shampoo and cleaning it daily.

This is not a picture of Remi, but one I found on the internet that looks pretty close to what he's got - though I would say he's not quite this bad yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrk1813/6987779037/

Most definitely a food allergy? Should I cut him off the Fromm immediately and go back to his limited diet without gradually working him back in?

Of course we just bought a HUGE bag of the Fromm ROFL....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh man that stinks... I'm not sure if that would be a food allergy, but I just switched Winston to Fromm Beef variety & I noticed a rash on his belly too. Our grass is SUPER high because of all the rain, and I was thinking it's either a grass issue or that dang beef food. Ugh this is never ending... :cursing:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... that so stinks!! is this the first fromm you tried with him?

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
OMG.... that so stinks!! is this the first fromm you tried with him?

Yes, and we kind of figured out he doesn't do well on chicken, beef, or salmon. We're running out of proteins!! On the NVI limited diet lamb, he still has tear stains. We might be doomed to pick the less of all the evils here.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, and we kind of figured out he doesn't do well on chicken, beef, or salmon. We're running out of proteins!! On the NVI limited diet lamb, he still has tear stains. We might be doomed to pick the less of all the evils here.

The Game Bird was another one Banks did good with... even though she is highly allergic to chicken, that one did not bother her. See if you can take the Pork/Peas back to the store and make an exchange

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Our new puppy (Zoey) came with a belly rash, similar as the picture but not as bad. The breeder said it was from the tall grass she was going out in to do her duties. We kept it clean daily, kept her out of the grass and treated it with a generic neosporin (a triple antibiotic). In less than a week the rash is gone. Good luck, hope its not a food allergy.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
The Game Bird was another one Banks did good with... even though she is highly allergic to chicken, that one did not bother her. See if you can take the Pork/Peas back to the store and make an exchange

The first food we moved him from Diamond (chicken based) was to NVI's durkey and duck. We thought we were just being idiots when he was still all itchy and licking his feet. Like duh! It's still a bird.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The first food we moved him from Diamond (chicken based) was to NVI's durkey and duck. We thought we were just being idiots when he was still all itchy and licking his feet. Like duh! It's still a bird.

UGH!!!! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] help Jane!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Jane, first rule out other possible causes...maybe it's some kind of contact dermatitis...was Remi laying on some bedding that was washed with a new detergent, or was he running around outdoors and got into something. Is the belly the only area where the rash is? I know how happy you've been w/the Pork 'n Peas so I hope it's not from that. I just got a bag of it myself, transitioning from the NVI lamb.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Jane, first rule out other possible causes...maybe it's some kind of contact dermatitis...was Remi laying on some bedding that was washed with a new detergent, or was he running around outdoors and got into something. Is the belly the only area where the rash is? I know how happy you've been w/the Pork 'n Peas so I hope it's not from that. I just got a bag of it myself, transitioning from the NVI lamb.

At some point I noticed that he started the rash on his belly (near his genitals) when we went to 50/50 portions. I said, okay, let's raise it to 75/25 and see what happens. The rash is spreading and I'm noticing it now on other parts of his body, mostly on his legs, belly area.

Nothing new in his regiment other than dog biscuits (lamb and spinach - which he's had before and it's been awhile) and of course the Duoxo PS shampoo. I will cut out the treats and see if I notice any improvement.

Other than that, same all detergent, etc.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
honestly if it were me in this situation i dont think i would bother with treats they have eaten before. if this is from the new food then its only gonna get worse the longer you feed it. i would cut back to 50/50 and see if there is an improvement if so then i would cut it out then and go back to nvi for now. nothing says you cannot try something new later on. wont hurt them to switch back cold turkey. if no improvement then look at the treats and something else.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
i would cut back to 50/50 and see if there is an improvement if so then i would cut it out then and go back to nvi for now. nothing says you cannot try something new later on. wont hurt them to switch back cold turkey. if no improvement then look at the treats and something else.

We only have a little bit left before we have to open up that giant 26 pounder I'm hoping to return if it turns out he is allergic to something in the fromm. Think I can get away with 25 Fromm / 75 NVI?

xoxo - you're always awesome, Sandra!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
This rash could be from anything Im afraid. How long have you been going thru this? At some point it may benefit both of you to have him tested to find out what he is allergic to.
You can return the Fromm.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
We only have a little bit left before we have to open up that giant 26 pounder I'm hoping to return if it turns out he is allergic to something in the fromm. Think I can get away with 25 Fromm / 75 NVI?

xoxo - you're always awesome, Sandra!
yes that would be fine just to finish out the bag as you could just cut it out completely and it would do the same. since he is already eating the nvi it wont hurt for a cold switch. and yes it could be from anything but since it started with the food makes sense to cut out the food and go from there.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I was in a similar situation as you and want to introduce my "why am I messing with a good thing" theory:

I had both of mine on NVI LID Turkey, they were doing fine on it, and for some reason, I decided to try a new food.

It was a huge disaster and I knew it right away because they both got a rash during the transition phase of going on to the new food but I continued through the bag of new food and ended up with vet bills to get rid of itchy skin infections.

My advice: if the NVI was working well with Remy, stick to it and take the other bag back!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.