Made The Switch - Fromm's 4 Star

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Decided that Daisy's food needed to be switched! Breeder advised Royal Canin Medium Puppy, so I bought some before even knowing food makes a big difference, and reading reviews! For the first week it seemed ok, poops were medium. However, these last two weeks its been getting softer, and it comes out in one continuous piece.

In addition, I've really noticed her skin getting dark pink to borderline red, especially around her mouth. I at first chalked it up to adjusting to out grass, but I think it's a grain allergy!

So making the transition starting this week, she had a small mix of RC and the new Surf and Turf for lunch and she seemed to like it.

Here's to hard poops! :D

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I will pray for nuggets 😄. To help her tummy give her 1 tbls of pure pumpkin purée not the pie filling with her food. You can also give her 1 tbls of plain yogurt

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I switched to Fromms Pork and Peas about a month ago from Natural Balance..iDomt know if I'm likng it..his poop is too soft..I've been using the pumpkin and yogurt which makes it a little harder...but if I don't use it the next day it's too shot again..Im thinking of switching back but the Fromms stopped the tear stains..it's been a month I would figure his system would have adjusted by now..also with the Frmms his poop is a strange colored light yellow..

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I switched to Fromms Pork and Peas about a month ago from Natural Balance..iDomt know if I'm likng it..his poop is too soft..I've been using the pumpkin and yogurt which makes it a little harder...but if I don't use it the next day it's too shot again..Im thinking of switching back but the Fromms stopped the tear stains..it's been a month I would figure his system would have adjusted by now..also with the Frmms his poop is a strange colored light yellow..

Maybe try a diff one like beef frittata or salmon tunalini, or surf n turf? They are grain free...not sure if chums has issues w any of the ingredients tho.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Maybe try a diff one like beef frittata or salmon tunalini, or surf n turf? They are grain free...not sure if chums has issues w any of the ingredients tho.
The weird thing is he never had any allergic responses before his rabies shot..after that he had all these head problems ..rashes and pimples..now they're all gone. I would go back to the natural balance but he teared a lot..on Fromms his folds and tail pocket are always clean. Maybe I will change the Fromms flavor like you suggested. thanks.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
The weird thing is he never had any allergic responses before his rabies shot..after that he had all these head problems ..rashes and pimples..now they're all gone. I would go back to the natural balance but he teared a lot..on Fromms his folds and tail pocket are always clean. Maybe I will change the Fromms flavor like you suggested. thanks.
i actually use a few for her - pork n peas breakfast, beef frittata for dinner and I'm going to try out surf n turf to see if she likes that...she also gets toppings - yogurt, bananas, blueberries n salmon oil. Some on breakfast, some on dinner. But, she has not any issues like Chums w the rashes.. Her poo is a little harder than I think it should be but I'm not sure how to soften it just a bit.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
i actually use a few for her - pork n peas breakfast, beef frittata for dinner and I'm going to try out surf n turf to see if she likes that...she also gets toppings - yogurt, bananas, blueberries n salmon oil. Some on breakfast, some on dinner. But, she has not any issues like Chums w the rashes.. Her poo is a little harder than I think it should be but I'm not sure how to soften it just a bit.

Same with Fergus sometimes he is straining so hard his legs practically does the split :eek: You can give her stool softener like ducalax if you think she needs it. Pain meds can cause constipation.

With Chumley a change in protein might firm up his poop but with all the health issues he had just recently you might want to give pork and peas a few more weeks because the meds he was on could have messed up his system and might have caused the yellow and mushy poop. Especially if he is doing well on pork and peas every where else.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Same with Fergus sometimes he is straining so hard his legs practically does the split :eek: You can give her stool softener like ducalax if you think she needs it. Pain meds can cause constipation.

With Chumley a change in protein might firm up his poop but with all the health issues he had just recently you might want to give pork and peas a few more weeks because the meds he was on could have messed up his system and might have caused the yellow and mushy poop. Especially if he is doing well on pork and peas every where else.

Is there anything food wise that might help? It isnt super hard at all but when it comes out it breaks as opposed to say curls? Dunno if that is a decent description or not..it's hard to tell if she is straining since she grunts when she goes regardless of its consistency..she grunts even she pees even...silly girl. But it comes right out pretty much. I mean she isn't trying n trying to get it out

Last edited:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
That sounds like healthy and normal poop lol you gotta love the sound effects they pups makes. Not sure what to give naturally maybe someone else knows.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We are using the Pork and Peas and they like it and are doing well on it.

OP
jm00ser

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
'Im hoping things harden up in the next few weeks! I will have to try the pumpkin this week too. Hoping to be solely on Fromms by next weekend, then evaluate for a week. Still soft and curly for now.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
'Im hoping things harden up in the next few weeks! I will have to try the pumpkin this week too. Hoping to be solely on Fromms by next weekend, then evaluate for a week. Still soft and curly for now.

Remember it takes about 1 month for the old food to completely work out of her system so give it a few weeks. 3 cups divided in 3 servings a day. slow transition. Good luck keep us updated how she does :yes:

OP
jm00ser

jm00ser

Aug 10, 2013
Tampa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Starting to get some nuggets! Thanks for the tips all. Follow up question however: If I want to try another flavor in the Fromm's line like the beef frittata, does that require doing the gradual food change method as well?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Starting to get some nuggets! Thanks for the tips all. Follow up question however: If I want to try another flavor in the Fromm's line like the beef frittata, does that require doing the gradual food change method as well?
If you are using the 4 Star grain free line you don't need to do a switch. You could have one flavor for lunch and a different flavor for dinner if you wanted to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.