Help Needed! Vet Recommended Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food

r24chia

Aug 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
A bit worried about the food I'm Feeding my pup. When I took Bailey for his physical, same day I brought him home, the vet asked me what he was eating. I mentioned he was eating Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and he said that was a good choice and should help him develop strong bones joints. The more I research food for my puppy the more I see it with one star ratings. What do you guys recommend? Should I keep him on this food until he receives his last set of vaccines (6 more weeks), should I begin transitioning to a different dry food, or continue with the food I am giving him now? If you recommend a change of food, what are my best three choices? I heard Pro Pact Performance Puppy from a friend who has a bulldog a couple of weeks older than mine. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would hate for my dog to have preventable health conditions down the road due to my lack of diligence. I have pictures of Bailey in my photo album, in my eyes he seems a bit thin and long legged. Could this be a cause of the food he is eating?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm no food expert but how old is your pup? They go thru a leggy period -- and fill in later. Even my fireplug, Miss Bea, was a teeny bit gangly about about six months. Finding a good food for your dog is the BEST thing you can do for his long term health and well being. Someone will come along with food advise. We have experts here!!
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] @so many more I cant think..........

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sure the super duper knowledgeable people that know way more about food than I do will be along soon but in the mean time. How much are you feeding Bailey and how many times a day? Many of the members here feed their babies Fromm's 4 star grain free to help reduce allergies and such.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A lot of members use Fromm Puppy in the pink bag.... I looked at your photo album, then tend to have growing phases and the broad/outward growth does not always happen till after one year. banks was long and tall and her chest filled out at around two years

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:smileywelcome:Hi and welcome, to you and Bailey, I'm going to try this again, I just wrote a whole big long post, and when I tried to send it, I lost the whole thing, you gotta love computers. Lol. I hope I remember everything I wrote.
I have two EB siblings, a male and a female, they are 17 months old now, and their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. When I first brought them home from the breeder, when they were 10 weeks old, they were being fed Royal Canin by the breeder, he sent me home with two big pails of this food. I asked him if it was a good food, because I wasn't familiar with this brand, he told me it was. The same day I took them to the vet for a checkup, and I asked her the same question, she assured me it was an excellent food, and she sells it in her office. I wasn't convinced due to the fact that Royal Canin has fillers and corn, which isn't good for dogs. Blossom also showed signs of what I now know were allergy symptoms, she had soft serve poops, her face, chin, and ears were pink or red, her eyes were sometimes runny with tear stains, and sometimes goopy. I later found out by trial and error that she is allergic to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. I started researching dog foods, which is how I actually found this site. I read the dog food ratings forum, and found that Royal Canin was considered a 2 or 3 star food, so not necessarily the worst food, but certainly not the best. You want to try to feed your dog a 4, 5, or 6 star food for better nutrition. I read on the forums that most people feed their dogs Fromms brand of dog food, I opted for the Fromms Beef Frittata, because of Blossoms' allergy to chicken and salmon, and also because its grain free. You can read the dog food ratings on the home page, some other 6 star foods are Wellness, and Blue Buffalo. Since Bailey is still a puppy, he should stay on a high quality puppy food, because puppies need the extra calories, vitamins and minerals found in puppy food for their rapid growth and development. When Bailey is 6 or 7 months old you can switch him to a adult formula. While he is a pup you can feed him 1 cup of food 3 times a day, and then when he is 6 or 7 months and on adult food, switch to twice a day feedings, 1 cup in the am, and 1 cup in the pm. There are two things I learned while researching dog foods, I learned that a lot of breeders give away a pail of food, mine came with lots of coupons for Royal Canin food, and other freebies, because they get this food for free from the manufacturers for promoting it, also when I asked my vet, she told me it was an excellent food, but vets don't study or learn a lot about nutrition in vet school, they do a small module, or chapter as part of their studies, but like medical doctors for people the focus in school is learning to diagnose and treat diseases and illnesses. The vets aren't purposely selling lower quality foods, they go by what the manufacturers tell them, and they also get a kick back from them for promoting and selling their brand of food. My vets office sells Royal Canin food. It's definetely trial and error to find a good quality food that is both nutritious, and that your dog can tolerate, it took us 4 dog food changes before we found one that they both tolerated. Good luck on finding one for Bailey and keep us posted on how he's doing. Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of Bailey on here.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Can I just tell you how much I hate these "large breed" dog food formulas? Here is my problem with it. They have too much phosphorous and calcium in them. Too much of these will cause the bones to grow too quickly which will cause problems later on in life. You want slow and steady growth. With that said, I would definitely stay away from Purina products.

I especially detest the large breed puppy stuff with the exception of Orijen large breed puppy. It has a higher fiber %, lower fat % and lower calcium and phosphorous. The first 2 make it more digestible for puppies and the last to help moderate growth.

Your best bet is to go with an all stages dog food. Fromm. Earthborn. There are others but I haven't yet had enough coffee to remember them :) Sandy ( [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] ) can list them all with her eyes closed ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have already answered her visitor message to me but ill state it again here. bullies dont fill out till later on and get the fromm for puppies in the pink bag. that was the jist of my answer already. :)

OP
r24chia

r24chia

Aug 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you for summoning the food experts. I am still trying to find my way around the forum.

OP
r24chia

r24chia

Aug 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] for the detailed information. I began looking into Fromm Puppy Gold and found a retailer about 15 miles away who carries it. I will grab a bag this weekend and begin a slow, gradual change.

OP
r24chia

r24chia

Aug 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thank you [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]. I read mixed reviews on different sites about large breed formulas, thank you for confirming my doubts.

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
I checked out your album, great looking little bully there. Welcome to EBN.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
A bit worried about the food I'm Feeding my pup. When I took Bailey for his physical, same day I brought him home, the vet asked me what he was eating. I mentioned he was eating Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and he said that was a good choice and should help him develop strong bones joints. The more I research food for my puppy the more I see it with one star ratings. What do you guys recommend? Should I keep him on this food until he receives his last set of vaccines (6 more weeks), should I begin transitioning to a different dry food, or continue with the food I am giving him now? If you recommend a change of food, what are my best three choices? I heard Pro Pact Performance Puppy from a friend who has a bulldog a couple of weeks older than mine. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I would hate for my dog to have preventable health conditions down the road due to my lack of diligence. I have pictures of Bailey in my photo album, in my eyes he seems a bit thin and long legged. Could this be a cause of the food he is eating?

Bailey is a beautiful looking Bully, no doubt about it. Most studies show a grain free food is best. I'm glad you're doing some research on the subject. That's good parenting, now it's your decision when to make that transition. That's your baby and keep doing what feels best for you and Bailey. Vets aren't schooled in the science of dog food or their nutrition. Go with your gut.

my choice of food right now is Fromm. Every one of my bully's is loving it and doing well without issue. I think we've tried everything on the market and even raw . I buy it from PetFlow and have it delivered to my door on schedule.
Although my vet sells Science Diet , he's never pushed it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online