How much should she eat?

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I was told by her last owner that she ate twice daily. But Maggie has only been eating once a day and sometimes only every other day. She doesn't appear to be sick or scared or stressed. She's not loosing weight. I walk her and play with her. Also she pooping once a day. Everything is normal. She's still drinking water. But her food will sit there forEVER untouched. When she does eat she eats everything. She seems to like the food. I just don't feel like she's eating enough. I don't feed her a lot of treats either.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
What and how much are you feeding at each serving ? Have you tried any toppers? You can add fish oil, coconut oil, steamed vegi, boiled beef, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, lowfat sodium free beef broth, lowfat sodium free chicken broth. She could just not like her kibbles. Some dogs just get bored with their food.

She could also be not feeling well. Try the toppers and if she still wont eat you might want to get her blood and thyroid checked.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
When she was having diarrhea I bought a can of pumpkin and I've been putting it on her food just to finish the can. She will usually eat it with that. But not today!

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
What and how much are you feeding at each serving ? Have you tried any toppers? You can add fish oil, coconut oil, steamed vegi, boiled beef, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, lowfat sodium free beef broth, lowfat sodium free chicken broth. She could just not like her kibbles. Some dogs just get bored with their food.

She could also be not feeling well. Try the toppers and if she still wont eat you might want to get her blood and thyroid checked.

I feed her blue buffalo life protection formula chicken. I'm gonna transition to lamb once her food bag gets low to see if she's just bored. I feed her about a cup and a half to two cups a serving.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I feed her blue buffalo life protection formula chicken. I'm gonna transition to lamb once her food bag gets low to see if she's just bored. I feed her about a cup and a half to two cups a serving.

If you are feeding her 2 cups a serving 2 times a day that is a lot of food. Normally for an adult/ senior 1 cup twice a day is good. When you buy her food try blue buffalo grain free no chicken.

OP
alyssahope

alyssahope

Jul 23, 2013
Birmingham, AL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Queen Margaret May
I thought so too. But that's how much her last owner fed her. I'll cut it down and see how she does.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Winston gets Fromms & I give him 1 1/2 cups twice a day, plus toppings (and 2 snacks). It really depends on the dog for feeding amounts, but I've never heard of a dog not eating for a day... If she's acting normal & not losing weight I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe over the weekend she will be a chow hound... LOL :tongue:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets 1 cup twice a day and then gets healthy snacks and a little bit of kibble while we are working with her throughout the day.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie is almost 8 mos n eats about 1 1/4 cup twice a day. For breakfast as toppings she gets a nice tbs of yogurt and some salmon oil. For dinner toppings she get about 5-6 blueberries and half a banana.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Brie is almost 8 mos n eats about 1 1/4 cup twice a day. For breakfast as toppings she gets a nice tbs of yogurt and some salmon oil. For dinner toppings she get about 5-6 blueberries and half a banana.

Where did you find the salmon oil? I was looking online & Amazon was out of stock!!!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Where did you find the salmon oil? I was looking online & Amazon was out of stock!!!

I get the grizzly salmon oil from Pet Pleasers Bakery here. I love this place cos they carry all the high grade foods and make the majority of their treats there w healthy ingredients. I think they have a website but I'm not sure..

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I get the grizzly salmon oil from Pet Pleasers Bakery here. I love this place cos they carry all the high grade foods and make the majority of their treats there w healthy ingredients. I think they have a website but I'm not sure..

Ugh... I wish we had a pet bakery here!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
it could just be the food sometimes they just dont like it. also blue buffalo wilderness has chicken in it as do most blue foods but not all. chicken is not the devil though so its ok. put some toppers on it such as has been suggested and if they still wont eat i would try some boiled chicken and if they eat that then its probably the food they dont like. also some dogs dont like those life bits in blue.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.