brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so my question is when did you guys stop feeding puppy food. Brutus is almost 9mos. I could ask the vet but he already thinks I am crazy with the gazillion question I ask him. Also, I am feeding him Iams Puppy right now with no issues. Do you think I should give him Iams adult when ready or something else.:confused:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Before I switched my guys to raw they were on an "all life stages" kibble meaning there is no adult or puppy formula. But in general I would say between 6 & 12 months is appropriate for the switch. As far as Iams I know it isn't all that great in terms of quality but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it??

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
We switched Brie at 7 months. We were using Eukanuba puppy growth from 8 weeks to about 4 months. Then switch to a from puppy gold. At 7 mos we switched her to the Fromm 4 star line. I think if he is doing well on Iams and you are satisfied w it, or don't want to switch to a higher grade thn y nor keep him on it. Especially if he is growing, no allergies, is healthy, coat n eyes looking good etc..

Last edited:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I never fed Ace puppy food. I started out with an all life stages style of kibble and even though I have changed brands, I never used a designated puppy feed.
And for now I am sold on Whole Earth Farms kibble as his base kibble it is made by Merrick's which I mix with either another Merrick's brand or Fromm's. In about a 70 to 30 or 80 to 20 mix. And 90% of the time I add some sort of topper to the kibble. He eats like a horse, I feed him twice a day once in the morning before work and then in the evening. The morning feeding is about one third of what he gets in the evening when his appetite is off the chain

Last edited:
OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Before I switched my guys to raw they were on an "all life stages" kibble meaning there is no adult or puppy formula. But in general I would say between 6 & 12 months is appropriate for the switch. As far as Iams I know it isn't all that great in terms of quality but I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it??

Maybe I should switch if it isn't what you think he should be on? I want the best for my baby. I don't think he needs raw as he doesn't seem to have any allergies but maybe grain free? I have read alot on here that seems to be the way to go with bulldogs.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Yes go grain free. It is the best for your pup. Most here uses Fromm, Blue Buffalo, NVI. Try to stay away from Chicken as the main protein. Do a slow transition. I used Fromm no grain all stages for Fergus we alternate between beef fritata and pork and peas. But it is generally accepted that you should switch between 6-9 months from puppy food to adult or all stages.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok grain free it is. I am going online now to see where I can get Fromm in my area. Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
6 to 7 months is a good time to start the switch. As others have said do a slow transition and go grain free if you can. We are planning on starting to Switch Harlea at around 6.5 months to Fromms pork and peas which is what my ridgeback is eating.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Ok grain free it is. I am going online now to see where I can get Fromm in my area. Thanks!

You will notice a huge difference when you find the right food and go grain free. Less :poo: since they can process more of the good food, less gas and not as stinky :eeeew:, skin/ fur will look better.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It seems i cannot find fromms in my area. How do you guys feel about blue buffalo? I am trying to research it to see if it is grain free. I found a lamb and brown rice formula. But that means it has grain in it. Ugghhh.

Last edited:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
It seems i cannot find fromms in my area. How do you guys feel about blue buffalo? I am trying to research it to see if it is grain free. I found a lamb and brown rice formula. But that means it has grain in it. Ugghhh.

You can buy Fromm from Petflow http://www.petflow.com/product/fromm/pork-peas-recipe have free shipping there is a coupon thru EBN. Many here also feed blue buffalo wilderness they have beef, venison and salmon formula. Remember slow transition and it can take a month for the old food to work out of the system.

RubenWinston

Jul 7, 2013
Stanwood, Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruben and Winston
You may be able to buy Fromm online. I have two new babies and have been feeding them Four Star grain free Beef Frittata from Fromm per this website. They are great with it. The only thing I would caution is that you give them enough of it. The feeding schedule is for adult dogs and puppies, nursing mothers, etc...need a bit more, usually twice what they recommend. I found this out the hard way when my pups were not gaining enough weight (per the charts) and I could see their ribs. I felt terrible when I found out I wasn't feeding them enough! I now give them 1 cup three times a day.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Yes feed puppies 3 cups divided in 3 servings once they hit 6 months you can cut back to 2- 2 1/2 cup.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
You will notice a huge difference when you find the right food and go grain free. Less :poo: since they can process more of the good food, less gas and not as stinky :eeeew:, skin/ fur will look better.
ok..so as you know I give Brie pork n peas and beef frittata ..plus yogurt, blueberries, bananas, some treats like dried sweet potato and a cpl other little things here n there..she is still going poop about 4-5 times in a day..I wonder where she keeps it all!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok I am going to try wellness core. It is rated here at 6 stars and I sounds good and I can get it locally. Wish me luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.