Treats? What is your favorite?

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
We have decided on feeding FROMMS when Khaleesi comes home. (as long as she likes it and it agrees with her)
As she's going to be a brand new pup I haven't decided if it's a good idea to use treats to help train her or not. (but that's a different issue)
When we went to the specialty pet food store, other than raw they recommended a brand of treat called Ziwi Peak.
Has anyone tried these? I know that a lot of people give their bullies raw veggies as treats as well, but I wanted to have something on hand in a pinch too.
Any suggestions or info is extremely welcome! :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Can't say that I have heard of them. We usually have a bag of he kibble with us when we go out and use that. When we are home it is ice cubes, fruits, veggies and yogurt.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
We also use Ziwi training treat but Fergus also likes fruits and vegi. At puppy training class we use Ziwi and at home blueberries, cut up carrots, watermelon, frozen green beans, ice cubes, and banana. They do get a after walk NVI Lamb doggy cookie.

I do recommend getting a puppy Kong its a great teething and occupying toy. As she gets older you can get the bigger kong. You can also stuff with kibbles and top with no salt organic peanut butter then freeze. Dont fill the whole kong with peanut butter unless you want to deal with runny poo. They love it. Its a nice treat for crate training or when you need to leave the house it will help with the separation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
never heard of them..... we use either kibble, frozen green beans (fruits, veggies) or Fruitables.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Try soho's little tiny treats they love em and theyre % 100 natural grain free. Zekes grain free lamb is great too. They love em !!!!!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Well, it wasn't intentional, but I bought some fresh cut pineapple from Publix last weekend and dropped it on the floor... so it became Aubie's treat and she LOVES it. Otherwise, she gets a variety of fruits and veggies that they can eat.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We give ours Fruitables treats, they love them.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Frozen green beans, baby carrots, banana, greek yogurt, watermelon....all fruits and veggies

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We feed Fromm also, And we learned with HRH that it's hard to find treats that are different than her food that she also tolerated all the ingredients so we started to use a little of her kibble as "treats" (It's all in the presentation) Works for us.

It works for Amelia too, so her kibble is also the same thing we use to train her. We have to be very careful with not allowing her to be overweight because of her hips, so this is also another way we can monitor exactly how much she's eating.

But we've also used Apples, banana's, steamed broccoli and steamed green beans as treats on occasion and HRH loved those too. We haven't tried everything on Amy yet since she's still young. She is always chomping on one flower or another in the back yard. Some will upset her tummy at times.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Home made and raw veggies and fruits.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You already got great advice above from everyone, so I don't have much to add. I also have not heard of these treats, but we use the wellness soft chews and I tear them in half, for each one, but these are used only as a really special treat, otherwise we also use their Fromms Beef Kibble, as a treat to get them to come, or when we ask them to sit etc. at home they get fruits and vegetables. I have a couple of recipes for homemade treats and cookies, but I haven't tried making them yet, but plan to soon. I'm always leery of store bought treats because my guys don't really chew their food, but tend to inhale, especially Blossom, she's a food Hoover. Lol. I'm also worried about store bought treats, especially the ones from China, as we had a lot of recalls here in Canada, on these treats due to dogs getting sick with kidney failure, vomiting, and some died. Two women I work with lost their dogs, one a Sheltie, and one a Maltese to kidney failure, the vet couldn't 100% tell them it was from the chicken jerky treats from China, but they suspect, and a lot of other dogs had the same thing happen to them. It was in the news and I think it was Glycerin that they found in the treats that they said caused the illnesses and deaths. I want to try home made treats, because then you control the ingredients , and you know what's in them.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
You already got great advice above from everyone, so I don't have much to add. I also have not heard of these treats, but we use the wellness soft chews and I tear them in half, for each one, but these are used only as a really special treat, otherwise we also use their Fromms Beef Kibble, as a treat to get them to come, or when we ask them to sit etc. at home they get fruits and vegetables. I have a couple of recipes for homemade treats and cookies, but I haven't tried making them yet, but plan to soon. I'm always leery of store bought treats because my guys don't really chew their food, but tend to inhale, especially Blossom, she's a food Hoover. Lol. I'm also worried about store bought treats, especially the ones from China, as we had a lot of recalls here in Canada, on these treats due to dogs getting sick with kidney failure, vomiting, and some died. Two women I work with lost their dogs, one a Sheltie, and one a Maltese to kidney failure, the vet couldn't 100% tell them it was from the chicken jerky treats from China, but they suspect, and a lot of other dogs had the same thing happen to them. It was in the news and I think it was Glycerin that they found in the treats that they said caused the illnesses and deaths. I want to try home made treats, because then you control the ingredients , and you know what's in them.

I have gone to making all Sheldon's treats as well as using raw veggies and fruits like you I too am leary of what they put in the treats this way I control what ingredients my guy ingests I know what he is getting I have also considered going to the raw diet with Sheldon so I can control what he is getting there too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online