How much to feed my bulldog

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
I have an 18 month English bulldog. I have been feeding him 2 cups per day. One cup in the morning and one in the evening. I basically kept the same levels the breeder had him on, when I got him at 7 months old.
Today my groomer, who regularly cleans hims, was suggesting I bring his food down to 1 cup a day? She was very adamant about this and telling me that it will lead to obesity and joint problems later in his life.
However she did say that it is ultimately my decision since he is my dog. Her intentions are certainly well placed and I had no problem with her opinion.

So needless to say I am a somewhat conflicted. I wanted to get a pulse from other owners here and see what amount of food everyone is feeding their bulldogs?

Here is a recent photo of the handsome boy in question.
20130727_134020 (15).jpg

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
What food are you feeding? I am interested in this as well. I feed my 3 year old male and 12 year old jack russell terrier 1/2 c each in the am and 1 c each in the pm. I feed Fromm Beef Frittata.

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Look at that guy! Are you really going to be able to tell him he can only have one cup per day? By the looks of him, and his sweet shades, I'd say he walks into the kitchen on his own, reaches into the cabinents, and grabs whatever he wants!

As you can probably tell be now, I cant answer your question as my bully just turned 3 months, but depending on what you're feeding him, that seems about the standard amount for a bully his age and size. Some people dont understand that they're naturally beefer dogs, but she's right in warning about joint and weight problems. Have you asked your vet?

Either way, Eli looks awesome, and the closest looking face I have seen to my Bruno! Based on what he looks like now, your guy seems to be a look into the future (which is starting to appear closer than I expected) of how Bruno will look.

If you dont mind me asking, where'd he come from?

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
What food are you feeding? I am interested in this as well. I feed my 3 year old male and 12 year old jack russell terrier 1/2 c each in the am and 1 c each in the pm. I feed Fromm Beef Frittata.

I am feeding Eli the same food. Fromm Beef Frittata. I just started him on this food about 3/4 weeks ago.

OP
DaGmen

DaGmen

Jul 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Look at that guy! Are you really going to be able to tell him he can only have one cup per day? By the looks of him, and his sweet shades, I'd say he walks into the kitchen on his own, reaches into the cabinents, and grabs whatever he wants!

As you can probably tell be now, I cant answer your question as my bully just turned 3 months, but depending on what you're feeding him, that seems about the standard amount for a bully his age and size. Some people dont understand that they're naturally beefer dogs, but she's right in warning about joint and weight problems. Have you asked your vet?

Either way, Eli looks awesome, and the closest looking face I have seen to my Bruno! Based on what he looks like now, your guy seems to be a look into the future (which is starting to appear closer than I expected) of how Bruno will look.

If you dont mind me asking, where'd he come from?

I took Eli to the vet back in May for his annual shots and at that time he weighed 54lbs. The vet said everything was normal. I got Eli from a breeder in Missouri.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. a groomer told you to cut back? 54lbs doesn't seem to outrageous for an 18 month old. The amount you feed depends a lot on the individual bully and if they have an active lifestyle or not. Some get more exercise than others so naturally they would be fed more but that is not always the case. My Harlea is only 13 weeks old and we feed her 1 3/4 cups split between two meals a day which doesn't include the fruits, veggies and bit of extra kibble she gets during the remainder of the day and is gaining weight like she should. If we go with any more kibble than what we already give her she gets runny :poo: so we don't go any higher. If she needs more we just give her healthy snacks. Now as she gets older we will continue to monitor and adjust to help her maintain a healthy weight for her build.

Last edited:

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki was on 2 cups a day but from the words of the vet he should be at 2 1/2 to 3 cups a day. He is 18 months as well weighing in at about 60 lbs. He is very very active which is part of the reason that we upped it and he does not get treats other then ice cubes

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I usually look on the information on the food bag as different brands require different amount of food -i measure it on kitchen scale (one of my scoop is 200g)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have two EB siblings. Their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. They are 17 months old and weigh 45 lbs each. I switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and I feed them 1 cup in the am, and 1 cup in the pm. They get 1 Tbsp plain yogurt on their kibble every morning, and 1 Tbsp Omega oil in their food every night, as well as we give them 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday. For treats they get bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, cheese strings, a hard boiled egg once a week, and cottage cheese sometimes. My guys are on the smaller side at 45 lbs, and I have been feeding them 1 cup twice a day for 10 months, and they are staying/ maintaining their weight. You're guy is bigger, so 2 cups is probably fine, I would think 1 cup of food a day wouldn't be enough for him, especially if he's active. If he's maintaining weight, and healthy, and he has good poops, I would continue to feed him the same amount. If you are in doubt, ask your vet what he thinks. Also a good way to tell if your bully is overweight or not is too look at him from the top view, and you should see an hourglass shape, he should be well defined with his waist in a little, and you should be able to feel his ribs, but not see them.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi, I have two EB siblings. Their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. They are 17 months old and weigh 45 lbs each. I switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and I feed them 1 cup in the am, and 1 cup in the pm. They get 1 Tbsp plain yogurt on their kibble every morning, and 1 Tbsp Omega oil in their food every night, as well as we give them 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday. For treats they get bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, cheese strings, a hard boiled egg once a week, and cottage cheese sometimes. My guys are on the smaller side at 45 lbs, and I have been feeding them 1 cup twice a day for 10 months, and they are staying/ maintaining their weight. You're guy is bigger, so 2 cups is probably fine, I would think 1 cup of food a day wouldn't be enough for him, especially if he's active. If he's maintaining weight, and healthy, and he has good poops, I would continue to feed him the same amount. If you are in doubt, ask your vet what he thinks. Also a good way to tell if your bully is overweight or not is too look at him from the top view, and you should see an hourglass shape, he should be well defined with his waist in a little, and you should be able to feel his ribs, but not see them.

I totally agree with :goodpost: . Fergus is 8months and I feed 1 1/4 cup in the morning and 1 1/4 cup at night and eats pork and pea Fromm. I give him fruit, vegi, yogurt/ kefir, and fish oil a day. He weighs 48 lbs and according to the vet looks great. 1 cup for a bully his size would not be enough. As Vikinggril said if you have questions ask your vet and dont listen to others who dont own bullies because everyone has an opinion without knowing anything about the breed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.