Grapes are poisonous to dogs?

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Just saw this on facebook and thought I would share just in case. I have no clue how true it is though. Maybe someone can confirm or deny?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375812332500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375812332500.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 604

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes -- grapes and raisians are NO NO!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know you have to give your dog ALOT for them to get sick. Best is to not feed any. Mack looks great, one of my all time fave names for a BULL!!!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, grapes are poisonous to dogs, as well as other human foods. Here's a list of foods that are poisonous to dogs.

Re: Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....
Hi, I went online and found some other foods and items that are poison or toxic to dogs to add to your list:

Baby food (onion powder)
Alcohol
Cooked bones ( raw chicken necks, or beef knuckles are ok)
Bread Dough ( heat in the body causes the dough to rise and produces alcohol)
Broccoli ( contains isothio cyanate can cause upset stomach if fed in amounts exceeding
10% of dogs diet)
Sugarless Gum and Candy ( contains Xylitol)
Catfood ( too high in protein)
Cigarettes and Tobacco products
Citrus Oil Extracts
Corn Cobs ( can cause intestinal blockages)
Dairy Products ( cheese and plain yogurt are ok)
Raw Eggs ( contains a protein called avidin, which causes a Biotin ( vit B ) deficiency or
Depletion
Liver ( can lead to Vitamin A toxicity)
Mouldy or spoiled foods
Mushrooms
Chives ( same as onion and garlic)
Salt
Table Scraps
Tomatoes and Tomatoe Plants
Nutmeg)
Play Dough ( due to the high salt content)
Raw or Green Potatoes
Rich Fatty Foods
Rhubarb Leaves
Food Preparation Items ( aluminum foil, candy wrappers, plastic food wrap, paper plates/cups, plastic cutlery,
Plastic beverage rings, roasting bags, turkey skewers, and lacing)
Stagnant Water from ponds, creeks, puddles, etc ( may contain harmful bacteria such as Leptospirosis, and Giardia)
Toilet Water ( toilet bowl cleaners and fresheners)

Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....
I wanted to start a topic of things that are in most homes that can cause a severe danger to your pets.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog. While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. The dog usually vomits a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.

Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.

Beer: Hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Antifreeze: Antifreeze, due to its sweet taste, poses an extreme danger of poisoning to a dog (or cat) that either drinks from a spill or licks it off its fur. The antifreeze itself is not toxic, but is metabolized in the liver to a compound which causes kidney failure, and eventual seizures, and death. By the time symptoms are observed, the kidneys are usually too damaged for the dog to survive so acting quickly is important.

Avacados: LEAVES, STEM, PIT & BARK of tree contain Persin. The meat (fruit) part is safe, and found in foods like Avoderm and are wonderful for the dogs coat.

Apples & Apricots: The fruit is safe, the leaves and seeds are not

Human Vitamins: Most human vitamins contain large amounts of Iron, which is not good for our furry friends. Only give your pet vitamins made for dogs

Sources: Dog Obedience Training .com , ASPCA

If anyone else knows of unsafe foods, products, ect in your home, please add to the list!

Last edited:
OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Thanks lol. He came with that name when we adopted him. We considered changing it, but figured he had been through enough changes, amd it seemed to fit.

Plus my stepson is really into Pixars Cars and the trucks name is Mack, and then we noticed that Mack trucks logo is a bulldog and decided it was way too perfect to change.

But he has a lot of related nicknames, Mackaroni, Macktana, BigMack, etc

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes grapes are a no no. i do give my dogs raw eggs bout 3 times a week and have never had a problem though.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Before I joined this site I always feed Vegas grapes, I thought it was funny that he couldn't quite eat them right, they would roll out of his mouth, Vegas had a heck of a time trying to eat them and ended up rolling them all over the floor. Vegas never got sick but I only would give him a few. After joining this site I read it was a no-no and he hasent had them since.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I knew about the grapes being a no no, but in that list it says tomatoes? I know the stems and vines are supposed to be bad but an actual ripe tomato that we eat are safe, right? Princess eats tomatoes almost daily, me and her will split one for a snack or if I'm adding them to salads or sandwich's I always giver her some.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I knew about the grapes being a no no, but in that list it says tomatoes? I know the stems and vines are supposed to be bad but an actual ripe tomato that we eat are safe, right? Princess eats tomatoes almost daily, me and her will split one for a snack or if I'm adding them to salads or sandwich's I always giver her some.

Yes that is right, it's the plant.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Grapes, Raisins, Chocolate and RAW Onions are toxic to animals. But the toxicity of these things are built up over time. Eating a couple of grapes will not automatically lead to kidney failure. It takes weeks of daily intake to build up enough toxin to do damage.

The science behind grapes and raisins is a giant question mark but there is a compound in onions (and small amounts of it in garlic) that can cause what they call "oxidative damage" to red blood cells. The condition is called Heinz-body anemia. But since the body is constantly making new red blood cells the dog would have to eat a whole RAW onion every day for several days to even begin the oxidative process, it would take several days to even start damaging any cells. But again, since our bone marrow is constantly producing new red blood cells, it would be weeks or even months before any permanent damage was done.

Xylitol on the other hand can kill by ingesting just a couple of milligrams.

Raw egg is quite possibly the BEST protein source that you can give your baby and the yolk will help to overcome any biotin deficiencies, not to mention all of the other vitamins like A, B12, Iron and Selenium. Cooking the egg removes pretty much all of the beneficial nutrients in the egg, you may as well feed them a piece of cardboard :)

The only time potatoes and tomatoes are dangerous is if the animal has arthritis or upper respiratory problems. In a healthy animal they are excellent sources of vitamins A & C. Tomatoes contain something called Lycopene that is a very powerful antioxidant. Potatoes are high in iron and potassium and are full of phytonutrients. The fiber in potatoes is half soluable/half unsoluable which means that it helps to slow down digestion which keeps him full longer.

Garlic is an excellent anti-oxident, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-everything! It can even be used as a broad spectrum antibiotic in the right doses. It can help boost the immune system, overcome allergies, helps regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels, prevent cancer and is even being used to treat liver, heart and kidney disease. It also contains sulfur which is a natural insect repellent. There has never been a single study proving that reasonable amounts of garlic is dangerous. You don't want your dog digging up the garden and eating 5 whole heads of garlic but a clove a day gives huge health benefits. Dr Pitcairn (a very well respected veterinarian, homeopath, author and canine nutritionist) recommends 1 clove a day for a dog 20-40 pounds, 2 cloves for dogs 45-70 pounds.

check the dogaware diet section http://www.dogaware.com/diet/freshfoods.html

Basically, what I'm saying is that if your bully gets into the fruit bowl or steals your cheesesteak with onions you don't have to go screaming to the ER to get his stomach pumped :)

OP
Noyes27

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Basically, what I'm saying is that if your bully gets into the fruit bowl or steals your cheesesteak with onions you don't have to go screaming to the ER to get his stomach pumped :)

Good to know cuz as mentioned in my other post lately we have two very mischievous dumpster divers!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online