need some advise on Tank

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
As many of you know, Tank is our foster boy. I don't know much about Tank and his previous life and I've never had a dog that eats like he does, I'm at a total loss and need some advise.

The vet said he shouldn't be fed more than 1 3/4 cup of food a day.

Here's what I've been doing to get him adjusted to me and our house rules. During the day he has been tethered to my computer desk with a 6' leesh. He has access to his bed and water and food in the am and pm. Mona has always had an open bowl, and because of that I've had to keep Tank tethered to keep him out of her food. We've since decided to feed them both only in the AM/PM, no more open food bowl.

Today is the first day I've let Tank roam the house without being tethered and he's doing very well. He is constantly looking for food, though. It completely breaks my heart! I don't know what to do. I wonder if I should just let him have at a full bowl of food, thinking he'll get his fill and leave the rest alone and learn that A. he can eat what he wants B. the food won't go away C. it is his food and I won't let Mona touch it. I've actually thought about one of those food toys you can get where you have to work at it to get you food to help him slow down to eat.

Any advise/ideas are greatly appreciated!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm wondering why only 1 and 3/4cup of food per day? that seems like an awfully low amount. Is it a health issue w/Tank? I know bullies can be eating machines but if Tank is constantly searching for food, he may not be getting enough. Also, how is his weight?

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
What does Tank weigh? Dudley would always like treats...but he's not looking for food all day? Maybe that's not enough.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Are you feeding him twice a day? If not that's what I would feed him. If his weight is fine then stay with the amount you are feeding him. If he starts loosing weight then you can increase the amount a little. Some bullies would eat all day if you let them. He will figure out the schedule before long.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
excellent questions about his weight! Sorry I forgot to include that in my original post. DUH!
He went to the vet on 7/25 and weighed in at 54 or 57 pounds. I can't remember which and don't have his paperwork in front of me at this moment.
Tank is a longer bully and although I think he's put on a tiny bit of weight in the back area (behind the ribs and up to the butt area) he still looks thin to me. The chart on the Taste of the wild bag says feed them 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cup of food a day for a dog between 40-60 pounds. The vet said he was happy with his weight. Although I loved this vet, and I am certainly not educated in vetinary medicine, I think Tank is a little on the thin side.

Any ideas? Feed what's on the bag?
Oh, he gets 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm and a tiny treat when he goes in his create at night.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, that weight is certainly fine for some bullies but may be low for others. For instance, Finn weighs 57lbs and he looks good at that wt. b/c he's more petite than his brother. Tate weighs around 65lbs and could stand to lose a few lbs, but he's a bit more "big boned". The vet would like to see Tate at 60lbs maximum. Can you see Tank's ribcage? That's usually the sign that he's a little underweight. Definitely monitor the wt and like what [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said, if he starts losing then u know he needs a bit more food. (Like maybe 1.5cups twice a day OR an extra treat during the day).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's advice above. Our guys get 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm, they both weigh 45 pounds and are 17 months old.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
If I free fed Vegas I swear he would eat til he literally burst!!! Vegas is 4.5 yrs old and gets fed twice a day. 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening, then a bedtime snack of some fruit or veggies. Lately he has been getting plain fat free Greek yogurt that has 3x the probiotics because he has been yeasty. Since the age of 2 Vegas has weighed 56-60 lbs. so he has maintained this weight for over 2 1/2 years. He gets a little heavier when our summers are 100 plus. The vet thinks he is perfect weight...... but then again I already knew that!!! lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you really have to go with the bully as they are all shapes and sizes. start with 1 cup am and 1 cup pm and if he loses weight then you will know its not enough and if he gains its to much. these things also go with how much exercise the dog gets some are more active than others. my gosh sarah would burst if i free fed her lol. once you get to know him you will know if he is fooling you he is hungry or he truly is.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone above... That does seem like a small amount of food. Gosh if I free fed Winston he would weigh 100 POUNDS!!! LOL :eek:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree as well. What about looking into some calorie free treats here n there during the day? Like some fruits n veggies or obviously something he isn't allergic to. I hope things settle for him - and you soon. We give Brie a kong w a great inside but it doesn't take her long to get it out. If we really stick it in there she eats what she can get n then gets bored n leaves it alone. Maybe Tank will be more diligent tho?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
As many of you know, Tank is our foster boy. I don't know much about Tank and his previous life and I've never had a dog that eats like he does, I'm at a total loss and need some advise.

The vet said he shouldn't be fed more than 1 3/4 cup of food a day.

Here's what I've been doing to get him adjusted to me and our house rules. During the day he has been tethered to my computer desk with a 6' leesh. He has access to his bed and water and food in the am and pm. Mona has always had an open bowl, and because of that I've had to keep Tank tethered to keep him out of her food. We've since decided to feed them both only in the AM/PM, no more open food bowl.

Today is the first day I've let Tank roam the house without being tethered and he's doing very well. He is constantly looking for food, though. It completely breaks my heart! I don't know what to do. I wonder if I should just let him have at a full bowl of food, thinking he'll get his fill and leave the rest alone and learn that A. he can eat what he wants B. the food won't go away C. it is his food and I won't let Mona touch it. I've actually thought about one of those food toys you can get where you have to work at it to get you food to help him slow down to eat.

Any advise/ideas are greatly appreciated!

That would break my heart to. What happens if you give him his AM food with a porcelain ball in the bowl that they sell at the pet store to slow down fast eaters. Guard the bowl from Mona so he feels safe when eating his kibble then refill the bowl with cut up veggie's mixed with kibble for a few days until you see how his tummy takes to veggies. Then maybe just veggie's. That way there is something in the bowl that he can choose to graze on between meals. I don't know about the food toy I am a little concerned that it might increased his anxiety around food. I agree that he may need a little more food. It seems like taking some weight off of Tank later with exercise might be psychologically better for Tank than him feeling deprived of food now. Good luck and thank you for fostering Tank.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I think a lot of bullies act like they're hungry, no matter how much you feed them. Lucy spends every waking moment of the day looking for food. In fact, even when she's not awake I think she's dreaming of food. :yes4:

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I agree with everyone else also you can also add 1/4 cup of green beans with his food to make him feel fuller. I steam some frozen green beans in the microwave and with either give them as treats or mix in with their food

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.