Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: need some advise on Tank

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    As many of you know, Tank is our foster boy. I don't know much about Tank and his previous life and I've never had a dog that eats like he does, I'm at a total loss and need some advise.

The vet said he shouldn't be fed more than 1 3/4 cup of food a day.

Here's what I've been doing to get him adjusted to me and our house rules. During the day he has been tethered to my computer desk with a 6' leesh. He has access to his bed and water and food in the am and pm. Mona has always had an open bowl, and because of that I've had to keep Tank tethered to keep him out of her food. We've since decided to feed them both only in the AM/PM, no more open food bowl.

Today is the first day I've let Tank roam the house without being tethered and he's doing very well. He is constantly looking for food, though. It completely breaks my heart! I don't know what to do. I wonder if I should just let him have at a full bowl of food, thinking he'll get his fill and leave the rest alone and learn that A. he can eat what he wants B. the food won't go away C. it is his food and I won't let Mona touch it. I've actually thought about one of those food toys you can get where you have to work at it to get you food to help him slow down to eat.

Any advise/ideas are greatly appreciated!
    That would break my heart to. What happens if you give him his AM food with a porcelain ball in the bowl that they sell at the pet store to slow down fast eaters. Guard the bowl from Mona so he feels safe when eating his kibble then refill the bowl with cut up veggie's mixed with kibble for a few days until you see how his tummy takes to veggies. Then maybe just veggie's. That way there is something in the bowl that he can choose to graze on between meals. I don't know about the food toy I am a little concerned that it might increased his anxiety around food. I agree that he may need a little more food. It seems like taking some weight off of Tank later with exercise might be psychologically better for Tank than him feeling deprived of food now. Good luck and thank you for fostering Tank.
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I think a lot of bullies act like they're hungry, no matter how much you feed them. Lucy spends every waking moment of the day looking for food. In fact, even when she's not awake I think she's dreaming of food.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone else also you can also add 1/4 cup of green beans with his food to make him feel fuller. I steam some frozen green beans in the microwave and with either give them as treats or mix in with their food

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@bluesteelapd My Bubba would eat 'till he popped, if I let him! Hence, my username. lol He inhales his food, no chewing involved. I got him a slow-feed bowl. It slows him down a few seconds..ha ha. I feed him about 1 cup/twice a day. He weighs 70 pounds, and that's a good weight for him..not fat at all. Have you tried deer antlers to give him something to chew on?

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    As many of you know, Tank is our foster boy. I don't know much about Tank and his previous life and I've never had a dog that eats like he does, I'm at a total loss and need some advise.

The vet said he shouldn't be fed more than 1 3/4 cup of food a day.

Here's what I've been doing to get him adjusted to me and our house rules. During the day he has been tethered to my computer desk with a 6' leesh. He has access to his bed and water and food in the am and pm. Mona has always had an open bowl, and because of that I've had to keep Tank tethered to keep him out of her food. We've since decided to feed them both only in the AM/PM, no more open food bowl.

Today is the first day I've let Tank roam the house without being tethered and he's doing very well. He is constantly looking for food, though. It completely breaks my heart! I don't know what to do. I wonder if I should just let him have at a full bowl of food, thinking he'll get his fill and leave the rest alone and learn that A. he can eat what he wants B. the food won't go away C. it is his food and I won't let Mona touch it. I've actually thought about one of those food toys you can get where you have to work at it to get you food to help him slow down to eat.

Any advise/ideas are greatly appreciated!
    Is he looking for food or just looking around? If he's spent most of his time tethered to the desk he might just be nosing around to figure stuff out. Do you have a crate for him Carmin? I have a bunch of them for rescues in the basement, I can give you one if you need it. They belong to MABR and since he is a MABR foster you are certainly entitled to one if you need it. That might be better than the leash for when you aren't home or can't watch him.

These guys will eat until they explode if you let them. Mine are always begging for food even as soon as 5 minutes after they empty their own bowls. 1 and 3/4 cups of food per day is absolutely not enough for him. Get yourself a grain free variety and give him 1.5 cups twice a day. If he starts gaining weight you can cut that back to 1.25 cups but the poor guy is starving lol

Call me if I can help. We're all in this together

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@Twice - Hey Bev, thanks so much for the advise and offer of support! I have a wire crate that was used by my boxer and now we only use it if we travel with Momo, so its come in handy with Tank. But thanks!
    Someone suggested I add veggies/fruits to his diet to help sublimit his diet. He *loves* carrots and green beans. There is a husband/wife that want to met Tank Tuesday. Wish us luck!
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@bubbaisapig thanks for the advise! I actually saw an advertisement for a slow feed bowl. I might get it if Tank doesn't work out with his possible family. I'll keep ya'll posted.
    Eddie: Patsy hasn't eaten since 1974.
    Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
    -Absolutely Fabulous-

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Oh how are you going to be able to let go? It would break my heart each time, I know. Some folks (ME) weren't built for fostering -- so we just throw money around. LOLOLOLOLOL Best of luck to Tank. He deserves the forever home every dog deserves.

As for the food, Bo is like Tank - always in the mood for a snack. Even if he's JUST HAD SUPPER he acts like he's starving when the maintenance kid or a neighbor offers him a crappy old Milk Bone. Acts like he hasn't eaten for DAYS. LOL

On workdays (because they spend most of the day sleeping) I feed once a day "suppertime" -- when I get home from work - about 2pm. On Sat / Sun and Mon, they get a "breakfast snack" because we are up and going places all morning. For me it's a matter of weight management. Lean dogs live longer and I want mine to live forever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads