General Question Canned Pumpkin

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
How is it, that canned pumpkin is the cure all for digestive issues?? Constipated?? Add pumpkin... Diarrhea?? Add pumpkin... HOW?!?!?!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The pumpkin is for loose stools only I'm guessing... it has a lot of fiber and helps to firm up the stools. I put a tablespoon of pumpkin over the kibble & just mix it in. My dogs seem to LOVE it!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
no actually it works both ways whether you have diarrhea or constipated give pumpkin. ok here is what i could find on that hope it helps

In normal cases, diarrhea has a surprisingly simple solution: canned pumpkins. Canned pumpkin is actually pumpkin in a puree form. Pumpkins are very rich in fiber and even adding two teaspoons of canned pumpkin in you dogā€™s food helps the digestion process. Canned pumpkin has a large quantity of dietary fiber and it will also absorb the excess water present in the stool. This makes your dogā€™s stool more firm and results can be seen within a few hours. Give your small dog one and a half to two teaspoons of canned pumpkin. For a larger dog give two tablespoons instead.
Another benefit of canned pumpkin is in treating dogs for constipation. It softens your dogā€™s stool and can cure an upset stomach very quickly. This makes canned pumpkins one of the best natural remedies to your dogā€™s stomach problems.
Canned pumpkin also makes a great addition to dog treats. Just add some canned pumpkin to your favorite dog treat recipes to give Fido a healthy treat.
Canned pumpkin is low in saturated fat, sodium and cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin E, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Potassium and is also a very good source of dietary fiber. Some vets even recommend canned pumpkin for weight loss in dogs. Simply substitute one-third of your dogā€™s regular food with an equivalent amount of canned pumpkin. Because it is high in fiber, canned pumpkin will make your dog fuller than it would if you just reduced their caloric intake.

MsRandall

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Myles
yep a can of pumpkin is always in my house. Myles loves it but I only give it for an upset stomach - he is never constipated

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.