Kefir vs Yogurt

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I had read a post that @Twice had mentioned giving dogs Kefir. I had no idea what Kefir was so I did some research. It sounds pretty amazing and there are some great stories of it helping dogs with issues with digestion and allergies. So I went to the store and bought some today. Here is some info on Kefir vs Yogurt.
Both kefir and yogurt are cultured milk products…

…but they contain different types of beneficial bacteria. Yogurt contains transient beneficial bacteria that keep the digestive system clean and provide food for the friendly bacteria that reside there. But kefir can actually colonize the intestinal tract, a feat that yogurt cannot match.
Kefir contains several major strains of friendly bacteria not commonly found in yogurt, Lactobacillus Caucasus, Leuconostoc, Acetobacter species, and Streptococcus species.
It also contains beneficial yeasts, such as Saccharomyces kefir and Torula kefir, which dominate, control and eliminate destructive pathogenic yeasts in the body. They do so by penetrating the mucosal lining where unhealthy yeast and bacteria reside, forming a virtual SWAT team that housecleans and strengthens the intestines. Hence, the body becomes more efficient in resisting such pathogens as E. coli and intestinal parasites.
Kefir’s active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by helping digest the foods that you eat and by keeping the colon environment clean and healthy. Because the curd size of kefir is smaller than yogurt, it is also easier to digest, which makes it a particularly excellent, nutritious food for babies, the elderly and people experiencing chronic fatigue and digestive disorders.

This is a link to a vet's blog on benefits to dogs. http://www.drharveys.com/blog/tag/148

Recommended Minimum Daily Intake of Kefir or Yogurt

• Small size dogs and cats - 1 tsp to 1 tbs
  • Medium size dogs - 1 tbs to 2 tbs
  • Large dogs - 2 tbs to 3 tbs
  • Extra large dogs - 4 tbs to 6 tbs
You can increase (either a little or by doubling) the daily intake noted above if you wish to increase the amount of probiotics ingested by your dog and cat on a daily basis. Just make sure to increase gradually over the space of days or weeks.

One question I do have is can I still give yogurt and Kefir or stop the yogurt?

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Wow this is interesting!! I hope some food gurus come along and answer you! I am really intrigued by this! Sorry I don t have the answer though!! Good thread!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Interesting. I had never heard of the stuff. I will be watching this thread. Thank you for the info.

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
So can you buy kefir the same place you buy yogurt?

Yes it is in the dairy section next to yogurt usually in a bottle. Buy the plain Kefir so far my boys love it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Totally up to you, since your dogs love kefir, you could give that 3 x week and
give yogurt 3 x week and save a little money because kefir is pretty expensive
from the store.

Great educational information and well written!

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus

from the store.

Great idea Carol :2thumbs: that is exactly what I will do :yes:. I read you can actually make your own kefir but that is way beyond my abilities (laziness)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I totally agree with Carols' suggestions, as Kefir is more expensive. I drink the flavoured Kefirs like strawberry or Blueberry, and buy them either at Costco, or beside the yogurt in the dairy aisle. Since Kefir is thicker, richer, and has more benefits than yogurt, then you could just use Kefir, but it is double the price, so you could substitute the plain yogurt part of the time like Carol said.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Great idea Carol :2thumbs: that is exactly what I will do :yes:. I read you can actually make your own kefir but that is way beyond my abilities (laziness)

from the store.

I totally agree with Carols' suggestions, as Kefir is more expensive. I drink the flavoured Kefirs like strawberry or Blueberry, and buy them either at Costco, or beside the yogurt in the dairy aisle. Since Kefir is thicker, richer, and has more benefits than yogurt, then you could just use Kefir, but it is double the price, so you could substitute the plain yogurt part of the time like Carol said.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting that it is more expensive than yogurt? Looking at peapod.com, a 32 ounce tub of Cabot greek yogurt will cost you 4.29. A 32 ounce bottle of Lifeway Kefir will cost you 2.99. Not to mention, you use less kefir than you do yogurt so it is actually cheaper.

The health benefits are HUGE and making it yourself costs you nothing more than 2 cups of milk. I've been making my own for a few weeks now. You can probably get the grains for free on craigslist or freecycle. You can also buy them. The ones I got for free didn't germinate right so I spent 4 bucks and ordered them from amazon. You get your grains, pour it into a glass jar (I'm using a Mason jar). Pour 2 cups of milk over the grains, put the lid on the jar and stick it in your kitchen cabinet for 24-48 hours. When it's done, strain the grains out, put them into a clean jar and add more milk. I have a fresh supply of kefir all the time and it costs me almost nothing to make. After a few weeks your grains will begin to multiply. You can either dehydrate them to save for later, give them away to someone else looking to make it themselves or sell them on Amazon lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would think there is no harm in giving both really. good bacteria in the gut is a good thing so if you like both use both.

OP
Ashleym

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I'm not sure where you guys are getting that it is more expensive than yogurt? Looking at peapod.com, a 32 ounce tub of Cabot greek yogurt will cost you 4.29. A 32 ounce bottle of Lifeway Kefir will cost you 2.99. Not to mention, you use less kefir than you do yogurt so it is actually cheaper.

The health benefits are HUGE and making it yourself costs you nothing more than 2 cups of milk. I've been making my own for a few weeks now. You can probably get the grains for free on craigslist or freecycle. You can also buy them. The ones I got for free didn't germinate right so I spent 4 bucks and ordered them from amazon. You get your grains, pour it into a glass jar (I'm using a Mason jar). Pour 2 cups of milk over the grains, put the lid on the jar and stick it in your kitchen cabinet for 24-48 hours. When it's done, strain the grains out, put them into a clean jar and add more milk. I have a fresh supply of kefir all the time and it costs me almost nothing to make. After a few weeks your grains will begin to multiply. You can either dehydrate them to save for later, give them away to someone else looking to make it themselves or sell them on Amazon lol

OMG that is crazy they multiply?? Would be funny if we had a Kefir grain supply going on this forum. I actually got Keifer from Trader Joes and cost less then $3 for a large bottle.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I buy my Kefir from either Costco or the grocery store, they sell an organic brand, it's called something? Meadows, I can't remember the exact name brand, but it's $5.99 for a small jug. I don't know if I'd be as ambitious as to make my own. My mom used to make her own yogurt when we were kids, she made it plain, and we added fruit, or granola and honey to it, it was very delicious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online