Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

  1. #1
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Question Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Ugg Raven is allergic to chicken so any and all foods I buy I make sure it has not a trace of the stuff. A few months back Merrick's B4 Grain came out with a pork flavor . I put her on that one and at first she seemed to like it. I have always doctored up her food with a bit of veggies or yogurt or something and I have also been able to just put down some hot water in it to make some gravy. Well I noticed a while now she will eat around the kibble and eat all of the veggies. She just doesn't seem to want the Pork. So when it was time to get a new bag I went with their Beef, since it had no chicken in it whatsoever. Did the usual mixing to get her tummy adjusted and she still had some upset . Upset is now pretty much under control with the help of some pumpkin. BUT...her we go again. She looks at the food like it's garbage and will leave it there all day. Yesterday she looked at it, sighed and laid down next to it. I left it down because I figured I force her to eat it...you gotta eat sometime. Well she finally grudginly ate a bit of it this morning at 4:45 a.m. Yep you heard me right she refused to eat until I guess her stomach was at it's witts end. So what do I do now. I don't want to keep changing foods but I want something that she will consistently eat even if I don't doctor it up. I know I want to keep her grain free so can anyone offer a girl a suggestion.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  2. #2
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Alice Kable's Avatar
    Location
    Joseph, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    4,424
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    WOW! I've got to say out of 6 Bulldogs I have never had one that turned down food unless they had a health issue (blockage).

    Maybe your Raven prefers home cooked food to kibble, but maybe using low sodium broth on her kibble would help, especially if you added cooked lean hamburger to it.

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    WOW! I've got to say out of 6 Bulldogs I have never had one that turned down food unless they had a health issue (blockage).

    Maybe your Raven prefers home cooked food to kibble, but maybe using low sodium broth on her kibble would help, especially if you added cooked lean hamburger to it.
    She looked at it like what the hell. She is such a spoiled brat. I was astounded when she smelled it, pushed her veggies to the side and just sighed and laid down.

    Raven is not getting home cooked food . I love her but I don't have that much time right now. I am also looking at a bag of $60 dog food that is probably going to my dad's dog; jeeze talk about lucky, my dad's dog will eat anything!
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  4. #4
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    DudleysMom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsauken, NJ
    Posts
    1,548
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)
    64

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    I wish I had some ideas for you...but not eating has never been an issue for the mighty Dudster! Sorry I can't help -- good luck though!

    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

  5. #5
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by DudleysMom View Post
    I wish I had some ideas for you...but not eating has never been an issue for the mighty Dudster! Sorry I can't help -- good luck though!
    What are you feeding the dudster?
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  6. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Alice Kable's Avatar
    Location
    Joseph, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    4,424
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Well, everybody says that when a dog gets hungry enough it will eat. Does she like cottage cheese?

  7. #7
    Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    831
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    Ugg Raven is allergic to chicken so any and all foods I buy I make sure it has not a trace of the stuff. A few months back Merrick's B4 Grain came out with a pork flavor . I put her on that one and at first she seemed to like it. I have always doctored up her food with a bit of veggies or yogurt or something and I have also been able to just put down some hot water in it to make some gravy. Well I noticed a while now she will eat around the kibble and eat all of the veggies. She just doesn't seem to want the Pork. So when it was time to get a new bag I went with their Beef, since it had no chicken in it whatsoever. Did the usual mixing to get her tummy adjusted and she still had some upset . Upset is now pretty much under control with the help of some pumpkin. BUT...her we go again. She looks at the food like it's garbage and will leave it there all day. Yesterday she looked at it, sighed and laid down next to it. I left it down because I figured I force her to eat it...you gotta eat sometime. Well she finally grudginly ate a bit of it this morning at 4:45 a.m. Yep you heard me right she refused to eat until I guess her stomach was at it's witts end. So what do I do now. I don't want to keep changing foods but I want something that she will consistently eat even if I don't doctor it up. I know I want to keep her grain free so can anyone offer a girl a suggestion.
    I have never heard of a dog turning their nose up to Fromm and they have a great grain free selection.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Let's ask @cowsmom
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

  8. #8
    The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Marine91's Avatar
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Blips and Chitz
    Posts
    8,480
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2586

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Wow. I haven't heard of a bully that is that picky. I wish I had some additional advice for you but it looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. Maybe a bit of wet food mixed in will help?
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Raven gets Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Veggies, wet foods on the kibble. She will and lick that stuff off the kibble and spit the kibble back in to the bowl.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by christyjulene View Post
    I have never heard of a dog turning their nose up to Fromm and they have a great grain free selection.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Let's ask @cowsmom
    I have attempted twice to order the Fromm Pork and the site keeps spazzing out on me. I am going to give it a shot again today and see what happens.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  10. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,384
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)
    200

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    Wow. I haven't heard of a bully that is that picky. I wish I had some additional advice for you but it looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. Maybe a bit of wet food mixed in will help?
    She loves the wet, she licks it off and spits the kibbles back into the bowl
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

  11. #11
    ..........
    Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,010
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    if your dog is that intent on not eating this food i would stop trying to feed it and go with something else. sarah eats just about any kibble but i have had her spit one out on the ground before and refuse to eat it. fromm has a pork and peas if you want to stay with pork. if you are buying it at petco then you could try the natures variety instinct. they have several varieties that have no chicken. the salmon has pork in it. i will say the rabbit comes from china just fyi.

  12. #12
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

    I find that sprinkling some parmesan or shredded cheddar cheese helps with Finn who can be picky. I also top off the kibble w/some ground beef and coconut oil to make it all the more appetizing for him when he gets into those finicky moods.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •