Such a finiky eater!!! Suggestions?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Ugg Raven is allergic to chicken so any and all foods I buy I make sure it has not a trace of the stuff. A few months back Merrick's B4 Grain came out with a pork flavor :D. I put her on that one and at first she seemed to like it. I have always doctored up her food with a bit of veggies or yogurt or something and I have also been able to just put down some hot water in it to make some gravy. Well I noticed a while now she will eat around the kibble and eat all of the veggies. She just doesn't seem to want the Pork. So when it was time to get a new bag I went with their Beef, since it had no chicken in it whatsoever. Did the usual mixing to get her tummy adjusted and she still had some upset :cursing::poo:. Upset is now pretty much under control with the help of some pumpkin. BUT...her we go again. She looks at the food like it's garbage and will leave it there all day. Yesterday she looked at it, sighed and laid down next to it. I left it down because I figured I force her to eat it...you gotta eat sometime. Well she finally grudginly ate a bit of it this morning at 4:45 a.m. Yep you heard me right she refused to eat until I guess her stomach was at it's witts end. So what do I do now. I don't want to keep changing foods but I want something that she will consistently eat even if I don't doctor it up. I know I want to keep her grain free so can anyone offer a girl a suggestion.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
WOW! I've got to say out of 6 Bulldogs I have never had one that turned down food unless they had a health issue (blockage).

Maybe your Raven prefers home cooked food to kibble, but maybe using low sodium broth on her kibble would help, especially if you added cooked lean hamburger to it.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! I've got to say out of 6 Bulldogs I have never had one that turned down food unless they had a health issue (blockage).

Maybe your Raven prefers home cooked food to kibble, but maybe using low sodium broth on her kibble would help, especially if you added cooked lean hamburger to it.

She looked at it like what the hell. She is such a spoiled brat. I was astounded when she smelled it, pushed her veggies to the side and just sighed and laid down.

Raven is not getting home cooked food :D. I love her but I don't have that much time right now. I am also looking at a bag of $60 dog food that is probably going to my dad's dog; jeeze talk about lucky, my dad's dog will eat anything!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I wish I had some ideas for you...but not eating has never been an issue for the mighty Dudster! Sorry I can't help -- good luck though!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish I had some ideas for you...but not eating has never been an issue for the mighty Dudster! Sorry I can't help -- good luck though!
What are you feeding the dudster?

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Ugg Raven is allergic to chicken so any and all foods I buy I make sure it has not a trace of the stuff. A few months back Merrick's B4 Grain came out with a pork flavor :D. I put her on that one and at first she seemed to like it. I have always doctored up her food with a bit of veggies or yogurt or something and I have also been able to just put down some hot water in it to make some gravy. Well I noticed a while now she will eat around the kibble and eat all of the veggies. She just doesn't seem to want the Pork. So when it was time to get a new bag I went with their Beef, since it had no chicken in it whatsoever. Did the usual mixing to get her tummy adjusted and she still had some upset :cursing::poo:. Upset is now pretty much under control with the help of some pumpkin. BUT...her we go again. She looks at the food like it's garbage and will leave it there all day. Yesterday she looked at it, sighed and laid down next to it. I left it down because I figured I force her to eat it...you gotta eat sometime. Well she finally grudginly ate a bit of it this morning at 4:45 a.m. Yep you heard me right she refused to eat until I guess her stomach was at it's witts end. So what do I do now. I don't want to keep changing foods but I want something that she will consistently eat even if I don't doctor it up. I know I want to keep her grain free so can anyone offer a girl a suggestion.

I have never heard of a dog turning their nose up to Fromm and they have a great grain free selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's ask [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Wow. I haven't heard of a bully that is that picky. I wish I had some additional advice for you but it looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. Maybe a bit of wet food mixed in will help?

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven gets Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Veggies, wet foods on the kibble. She will and lick that stuff off the kibble and spit the kibble back in :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:to the bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never heard of a dog turning their nose up to Fromm and they have a great grain free selection.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's ask @cowsmom

I have attempted twice to order the Fromm Pork and the site keeps spazzing out on me. I am going to give it a shot again today and see what happens.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow. I haven't heard of a bully that is that picky. I wish I had some additional advice for you but it looks like you have tried everything that I would have suggested. Maybe a bit of wet food mixed in will help?

She loves the wet, she licks it off and spits the kibbles back into the bowl :bully:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if your dog is that intent on not eating this food i would stop trying to feed it and go with something else. sarah eats just about any kibble but i have had her spit one out on the ground before and refuse to eat it. fromm has a pork and peas if you want to stay with pork. if you are buying it at petco then you could try the natures variety instinct. they have several varieties that have no chicken. the salmon has pork in it. i will say the rabbit comes from china just fyi.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I find that sprinkling some parmesan or shredded cheddar cheese helps with Finn who can be picky. I also top off the kibble w/some ground beef and coconut oil to make it all the more appetizing for him when he gets into those finicky moods.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I find that sprinkling some parmesan or shredded cheddar cheese helps with Finn who can be picky. I also top off the kibble w/some ground beef and coconut oil to make it all the more appetizing for him when he gets into those finicky moods.

Similar to what I was thinking. I most often top the kibble with something they consider delicious. Even though when I haven't Ace at times will eat anyway but will kind of wait around a bit to see if I am going to add something to it. The more you use toppers it seems they more they get accustomed to expecting it. But for Ace it only requires a wee bit and then it get him cranked up and he will eat everything in the bowl. So I would try putting a topper on that your pet really likes. Usually that means the same sort of food we really like and find tasty

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.