The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Silly question. I have read here that many owners have given their bullies vanilla ice cream as a treat from time to time. I also know plain yogurt is good from them and Harlea loves it. So if bullies can have small amounts of vanilla ice cream could they have a dollop of vanilla yogurt as a healthy alternative?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i give Lola small amounts of all kinds of yogurt, lemon, blueberry, cherry. think its fine as long as you pay attention to any reaction she might have and one new food per day to be sure. not a lot of yogurt, i let Lola lick the leftovers from my spoon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have done it..... vanilla ice cream is what I use to give medicine/pills so it is used for nothing else. They get cottage cheese, vanilla yogurt and I always give them my empty yogurt cup when I finish my breakfast

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you. I wanted to be safe and ask beforehand. So far she is a 4 legged garbage disposal that loves everything we have given her so far with her favorites being yogurt mixed with watermelon or banana.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I always give my guys a Tbsp of yogurt in their food everyday, and when we are out and have an ice cream for a treat, we will buy them a kiddie cone of frozen yogurt. I haven't given them ice cream, so don't know how they would react to it, dairy products can be hard to digest for dogs, but yogurt doesn't give the same problems because of the probiotics so is easier to digest. I have given my guys a piece of cheese or a cheese string the odd time, and they've been fine. You can try some dairy, one thing at a time like a piece of cheese, or ice cream and see how Harlea tolerates it. If she is fine, then the odd treat won't hurt her, it's like everything else even for us, everything in moderation, and as an occasional treat won't hurt.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
99% of her treats are either a few pieces of kibble while we are working with her or fruits and veggies. She also gets either a dollop of plain yogurt or two frozen yogurt and fruit cubes daily.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion yoghurt is fine is he can handle dairy, but ice cream has too much sugar and that can be more harmful than dairy. I'd stick to healthy treats, they won't miss sugary treats.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] That is the plan and we want to avoid sugars as much as we can. I just wasn't sure if I could give her vanilla yogurt. If I ever was to give her ice cream it would be only in those situations for taking medicine where all other avenues have failed. Our goal is to only give her healthy treats.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I always give my guys a Tbsp of yogurt in their food everyday, and when we are out and have an ice cream for a treat, we will buy them a kiddie cone of frozen yogurt. I haven't given them ice cream, so don't know how they would react to it, dairy products can be hard to digest for dogs, but yogurt doesn't give the same problems because of the probiotics so is easier to digest. I have given my guys a piece of cheese or a cheese string the odd time, and they've been fine. You can try some dairy, one thing at a time like a piece of cheese, or ice cream and see how Harlea tolerates it. If she is fine, then the odd treat won't hurt her, it's like everything else even for us, everything in moderation, and as an occasional treat won't hurt.
Since Chumleys outbreak of sores and red rashes on his head I have been very strict on his diet...I did cheat last night and gave him a scoop full of plain vanilla ice cream. He had bad diarrhea this morning. I thought plain vanilla was ok to give them but I guess not?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it's not the plain vanilla that caused the diarrhea , but probably the ice cream, as dogs can't usually digest dairy very well. If Chumley likes ice cream, or the cold of the ice cream, and you want to give him a treat, you can take plain unsweetened yogurt, I don't use the vanilla or the sweetened ones because of the higher sugar contents of the flavoured yogurts. You can use a ice cube tray and make individual frozen yogurt treats for Chumley, and if you want to flavour them add a piece of banana, or strawberry, or even a little peanut butter, and you'll have a healthy snack, with probiotics which is good for his digestion, and his immune system, and won't give him diarrhea.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yogurt frozen with over ripe banananannananas blended in makes a great summertime treat. Lari made some last week and put it into little 4 oz. dixie cups before putting it in the freezer.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie LOVES yogurt and vanilla ice cream. She gets yogurt often but we do limit ice cream because of the sugar. The yogurt is good also with stopping her head tremors.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online