How to switch from Taste of the Wild to Fromms?

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
My bully has allergies. She has a constant runny nose (clear never green) and often a red belly. I want to try Fromms pork & peas. Can I just switch from TOTW Sierra blend to Fromms cold turkey? Or does it need to be gradual?

Thanks,
Ami

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If it's grain free TOTW I don't see much of a problem switching cold turkey. add a tbsp of plain pumpkin during the first couple days or so

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
My bully has allergies. She has a constant runny nose (clear never green) and often a red belly. I want to try Fromms pork & peas. Can I just switch from TOTW Sierra blend to Fromms cold turkey? Or does it need to be gradual?

Thanks,
Ami

For every 1 cup of food you normally feed your dog, reduce that to 3/4
Add 1/4 of the new food into the old food
Continue this ratio for 2 to 3 days
Over the next week or so, increase the ratio to 1/2 & 1/2 of each type of dog food
After a week and 1/2 to 2 weeks, you should be able to switch completely over to the new food.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you could just do it cold turkey in all reality but i usually recommend a gradual switch esp for allergy bullies. this way you can monitor how the new food is doing and tell if its not agreeing and then you can just back the food out and keep feeding the old food till you find something else you would like to use.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would do a slow switch because otherwise you may end up with stomach upset. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Like the others have said while you probably could do a cold turkey switch a gradual switch over at least a week would be better. 2 to 3 weeks would be the best if possible.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.