Food rotation and dogs with allergies

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hi all! Remi's allergies have been getting out of hand. He's starting to lick his paws again (which is something we noticed he was doing while on chicken and beef) and is getting ear infections and is scratching a lot. Definitely smelly. Always had an issue with tear stains. I know he's allergic to life itself and it's definitely worse since Spring hit this year.

So far we believe he doesn't do well on Chicken, Beef and Salmon. He's currently on NVI Lamb and we've started to slowly convert him to Fromm's Pork & Peas. From what many of you say, it's almost like miracle dog food. I'm a little nervous because if he has allergies on the NVI Lamb limited diet, is this really going to fix him?! He's been on the NVI Lamb since he was 4 months old. He just turned 1 year this month.

As I was researching food this morning, I started reading about food rotation. Some say you should do it and any expert who says otherwise is just trying to fear you into brand loyalty. What if your dog has a sensitive stomach? Or allergies? And you're on a food that is working for him?

I'm more of a don't fix what ain't broken kinda gal, but I certainly don't want to deprive my pooch of the nutrients he needs.

Thoughts from everyone?? I just feel like I would totally be wreaking havoc on poor Remi.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Hi all! Remi's allergies have been getting out of hand. He's starting to lick his paws again (which is something we noticed he was doing while on chicken and beef) and is getting ear infections and is scratching a lot. Definitely smelly. Always had an issue with tear stains. I know he's allergic to life itself and it's definitely worse since Spring hit this year.

So far we believe he doesn't do well on Chicken, Beef and Salmon. He's currently on NVI Lamb and we've started to slowly convert him to Fromm's Pork & Peas. From what many of you say, it's almost like miracle dog food. I'm a little nervous because if he has allergies on the NVI Lamb limited diet, is this really going to fix him?! He's been on the NVI Lamb since he was 4 months old. He just turned 1 year this month.

As I was researching food this morning, I started reading about food rotation. Some say you should do it and any expert who says otherwise is just trying to fear you into brand loyalty. What if your dog has a sensitive stomach? Or allergies? And you're on a food that is working for him?

I'm more of a don't fix what ain't broken kinda gal, but I certainly don't want to deprive my pooch of the nutrients he needs.

Thoughts from everyone?? I just feel like I would totally be wreaking havoc on poor Remi.

Here is a link to an article on that subject and I tend to agree with the writer. It's also what the folks think and suggest where I buy my dog feed and they are quite knowledgeable about food.

http://pethealthtrends.com/2013/06/...-versus-food-rotating-what-is-the-difference/

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Let me add as a disclaimer to my previous post that although I do agree I don't know what I would do if Ace had food allergies. If he had food allergies and was dong well on one particular diet I may try and mix it up some but in small increments to see the effect. But as the article suggests and what the folks I buy food from agree on is that otherwise rotating the diet is beneficial

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
This is something complex, complicated and has many things to consider.

Even the experts aren't really sure what is best, all just open to interpretation
of the confusing results of studies, much contradictory.

For me, breeds that tend to be allergy prone, w/multiple sensitivities & so quick
to react...and very seriously, I think it's best to stay w/what works. It's difficult,
almost impossible finding that, at great expense & emotional & physical distress
for pet & owner.

The are pros & cons to both ideas but I think dogs that have serious issues will be
best suited to finding a food that brings digestive relief & little to no skin problems
and stick to that food maybe, if tolerated, bringing in some variety w/eggs, yogurt,
sardines, etc added as treats once or twice a week. There should be no nutritional
deficiences doing this w/quality, vit/min added foods & added probiotics.

Just my opinion as I'm no expert!

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I read the article and I do not agree that rotating food in bulldogs is a good idea. The foods that we feed our bulldogs are nutritionally balanced high quality foods. Changing a dogs food simply because we think he might be getting bored is a human way of thinking not a dogs. If you want to play around with a bulldogs food add a topper that you know your dog can tolerate or give him a special treat.

Bullies are different than most dogs, many are highly sensitive to the ingredients found in dog food. Those sensitivities can lead to serious health problems and more vet bills. Yes, there are new lines of food out there that enable you to change food within a line easily. This is great especially if you suspect an allergy with one food. Each of these foods still has a different protein and different ingredients to go with it, all of which are a new allergy risk.

Why change a bulldogs diet and risk hot spots, feet chewing, stomach upset and allergy problems? Remember the months/years it took for some of us to find the food that didn't make our dogs sick. Why change something that is working because there is a new theory that does not necessarily take into account the special needs of Bulldogs.

If you can find a food that a bully likes and is healthy on stick with it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well here is what I think and do, if it's working for them and they have no issues with it, don't change it. Hope the FROMM Pork and Peas works for him.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I read the article and I do not agree that rotating food in bulldogs is a good idea. The foods that we feed our bulldogs are nutritionally balanced high quality foods. Changing a dogs food simply because we think he might be getting bored is a human way of thinking not a dogs. If you want to play around with a bulldogs food add a topper that you know your dog can tolerate or give him a special treat.

Bullies are different than most dogs, many are highly sensitive to the ingredients found in dog food. Those sensitivities can lead to serious health problems and more vet bills. Yes, there are new lines of food out there that enable you to change food within a line easily. This is great especially if you suspect an allergy with one food. Each of these foods still has a different protein and different ingredients to go with it, all of which are a new allergy risk.

Why change a bulldogs diet and risk hot spots, feet chewing, stomach upset and allergy problems? Remember the months/years it took for some of us to find the food that didn't make our dogs sick. Why change something that is working because there is a new theory that does not necessarily take into account the special needs of Bulldogs.

If you can find a food that a bully likes and is healthy on stick with it.

What I was trying to say but better said here by Christy...GOD bless!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Actually its not a new theory but more of a return to the ways dogs were fed for centuries if not longer. Keeping a dog on one food is a relatively newer practice

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like there might not be a right or wrong way to do this - totally dependent on the dog. I love the idea of supplementing his diet with healthy snacks that he does well with - zucchini, carrots, etc.

THANK YOU.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.