Angie

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Thank you for your advice!. I'm glad that pigs ears are not bad for bulldogges to ingest, but they are a choke hazard. That's too bad Taz really enjoyed them, Ive given him 2 before I had read the info on the bulldogge news website. He ate them fine and he didn't rush while eating them. Maybe he will be okay, if we decide to give them to him we will monitor him. As for bully sticks the same he was really good with it, but expensive. Thanks again!.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Thank you for your advice!. I'm glad that pigs ears are not bad for bulldogges to ingest, but they are a choke hazard. That's too bad Taz really enjoyed them, Ive given him 2 before I had read the info on the bulldogge news website. He ate them fine and he didn't rush while eating them. Maybe he will be okay, if we decide to give them to him we will monitor him. As for bully sticks the same he was really good with it, but expensive. Thanks again!.

Just a note on pigs ears

[h=2]Pig Ears and Salmonella[/h]Pig ears may carry Salmonella bacteria, so it may cause gastrointestinal infection. The infection can be signaled by abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. In some dogs, the Salmonella may not present any initial symptoms. You should make sure that the pig ears are from a trustworthy source. Typically, pig ears should get heat treatment for half a day, so that all potential bacteria will be eliminated.
The Salmonella infection is a zoonotic disease, which can be transmitted from dogs or pigs to humans, so you should be careful when handling the dog’s feces. Also, wash your hands after handling the pig ears, as you may contract the bacteria from these as well. You may also use gloves for protection.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

And Bully sticks are not good for Bully's! :(

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
in the beginning i gave pig ears but found i couldn't bear their smell/feel. i now give baked or dried sweet potato, similar shape and requires a good gnaw to get through. id caution that folks with yeast heavy pups watch to see the impact on redness of paw webs and moist folds. i have no issues but im lucky that way.

OP
Angie1969

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
Just a note on pigs ears

[h=2]Pig Ears and Salmonella[/h]Pig ears may carry Salmonella bacteria, so it may cause gastrointestinal infection. The infection can be signaled by abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. In some dogs, the Salmonella may not present any initial symptoms. You should make sure that the pig ears are from a trustworthy source. Typically, pig ears should get heat treatment for half a day, so that all potential bacteria will be eliminated.
The Salmonella infection is a zoonotic disease, which can be transmitted from dogs or pigs to humans, so you should be careful when handling the dog’s feces. Also, wash your hands after handling the pig ears, as you may contract the bacteria from these as well. You may also use gloves for protection.

Thank Christy, I better stay away from them all together. He's fine but I'm a little scared now. Angie

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Monitored or not,,,, these items just are too risky for Bullies

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Thank Christy, I better stay away from them all together. He's fine but I'm a little scared now. Angie

I'm sorry it wasn't meant to scare you, just to inform you. Just keep an eye on Taz. I buy soup bones and let my dogs eat the marrow out of them. When they are empty I fill them with peanut butter or yogurt and freeze them. They spend hours trying to get the yogurt or peanut butter out and love it. Kongs are stuffable with treats as well and very safe. Ask around our members have lots of great treat ideas!

OP
Angie1969

Angie1969

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Taz
How about greenies?. Are they okay for bullies?.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Lol I don't think greenies are very good either. I think the ingredients are potentially bad for bullies w wheat gluten being one of them and they are not a easily or completely digestible as they claim. They can get lodged in th esophagus too. But.lthey do clean the teeth n freshen breath.. Seems like a crap shoot tho if you ask me.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Greenies are also a choking hazard, as they can also cause blockages!! Bullies don't usually chew them but tend to swallow them whole. Plus the ingredients are just plain bad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.