Help Needed! Mixing Raw and Kibble?

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Hello! We have a new pup coming in about 4 weeks. This will be our fist bully, so I've been researching foods like crazy to figure out what to transition her to when she gets here.
I've seen lots of good things about FROMM and a few other brands, so over the weekend we took a trip to the only store that carries these here locally.

The owner of the store threw a ton of information at us, and now I'm confused. He made us feel like if we fed kibble (of any kind) it was going to be a horrible decision. Now, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to feed this pup nothing but raw. But I'm not so sure that our bank account would love it, and my husband pointed out that the dog may just be eating better than we do if we went this route. But of course, the guilt started creeping in, so my husband suggested that we make 3/4 of her diet quality kibble, and the other 1/4 raw.
I told him I was concerned that doing this would make for a finicky little eater.
Does anyone else do this? Or have any words of wisdom for us?
Thanks everyone!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think that will work since they digest at different rates.... But I think it will also depend on what form of raw you choose.

I feed kibble and will buy raw medallions as well as home cook, but it varies each day how much they get and the raw will be more of a special treat because of how expensive the packaged medallions are. If you go completely raw and get your meats from a butcher it probably would not cost much more than a great kibble.

I'll tag some exclusive raw feeders so they can give you more details.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
A lot of people put toppings on the kibble, some even raw. You can do that, no problem. Only bone is not advised to feed with kibble, cause of the different digestion time. In my opinion if you have a finicky eater he will be so what ever you feed. I know...I have one and another who will eat anything raw or otherwise...

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
We stuck with what our breeder was feeding her dogs and the puppies. Harper gets a cup of Taste of the Wild Buffalo/Venison w/ yogurt or cottage cheese in the morning and raw mixed with broc/cauliflower/yellow sq/zuchinni/carrotts in the evening. He loves it. Her dogs were all beautiful and no allergies and so far so good with Harper who just turned 8 months. He is 52 lbs!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
fromm is a great kibble and there are many here who use it and their bullies are doing great. ive heard not to do raw with kibble as they digest differently. i know some who feed the medallions with kibble and the dogs are fine. you could do some home cooked with the kibble like i do with sarah and several here do as well and there is no problem mixing that.

OP
AngAngeles13

AngAngeles13

Jul 18, 2013
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Khaleesi
Thank you everyone for the replies and tags, every bit of info I can get is helpful! I think the way I worded my question was wrong. I didn't necessarily mean mixing the two in the same meal. I just meant for example if she has three meals a day, make two of them kibble and the third one raw. I was afraid that method might make her eventually begin to reject the kibble meals...if that makes more sense.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My bullies won't ever turn down a meal... But everyone knows I have hungry bullies lol. Since I mix it up all the time they never refuse their kibble only meals either. Gone in 1 minute flat :ROFL:

Ok I lied, maybe in 20 seconds!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well some say yes you can feed kibble in the am and raw in the pm but some say no raw and kibble should never be mixed. but i know some that do.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hello! We have a new pup coming in about 4 weeks. This will be our fist bully, so I've been researching foods like crazy to figure out what to transition her to when she gets here.
I've seen lots of good things about FROMM and a few other brands, so over the weekend we took a trip to the only store that carries these here locally.

The owner of the store threw a ton of information at us, and now I'm confused. He made us feel like if we fed kibble (of any kind) it was going to be a horrible decision. Now, don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to feed this pup nothing but raw. But I'm not so sure that our bank account would love it, and my husband pointed out that the dog may just be eating better than we do if we went this route. But of course, the guilt started creeping in, so my husband suggested that we make 3/4 of her diet quality kibble, and the other 1/4 raw.
I told him I was concerned that doing this would make for a finicky little eater.
Does anyone else do this? Or have any words of wisdom for us?
Thanks everyone!

I have been feeding duchess who is 16 months raw since 12 weeks - initially I did raw /kibble mix I was feeding a premium kibble and natures variety raw- spending $200 per week- ridiculous. By 4 months she was on raw only- by 5 months I was doing home prepared raw. Duke who is 19 weeks came to me at 12 weeks on royal canin- I switched him to raw by 13 weeks . If you do store bought pre-packaged raw its super expensive! You have to try to find co-ops in your area. My current cost is about $1.75 per LB - I buy duck, quail, venison, beef- no chicken for my crew. I buy it pre ground with bone. I did buy a grinder and was grinding myslef but this is very time consuming. When I was grinding myslef my cost was about $1LB. My crew eats about 22LB per week. Duchess - 16months - 51LB , duke 18 weeks- 32LB. Both of them are extremely lean and muscular. People constantly stop me and comment how silky their fur is- they very rarely get baths. Raw definately has advantages but isn't for everyone - cost, time, etc. based on this forum if you don't go raw- go with fromms. Let me know if you have any questions regarding raw

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.