Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ollie
    Likes (Received)

Default costco food??

I know reading thru some of the dog food threads someone had mentioned trying out the costco purple bag dog food or researching it more...just wondering if someone did what came of it.

I need to switch our dog food brand and Fromm is just not in the budget as i've been outta work for about 6months. does anyone have a suggestion on a food that is moderatly priced but a good food??

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: costco food??

i think most of the cosco foods are diamond manufactured foods so i stay away from them. nutrisource is a low priced food and is pretty good. im using it now myself. no recalls either. merrick is pretty good and is pretty reasonable esp the whole earth farms but is has grains so not sure if that is a concern. earthborn grain free is pretty reasonable and a good food.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
    Likes (Received)

I feed my kids the salmon and sweet potatoe Natures Domain (Costco) it is the grain free in the blue bag.I have never had a problem with it and the kids love it. Dog food advisor gave it 4 stars and all my kids get a vitamin every day and I give them lots of fresh veggie treats.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried the Costco brand of dog foods myself but let's see if other members have and can share their experiences/thoughts on this!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

We did a rating on it..and I believe @desertskybulldogs tried it? I would also pay attention to the fact that Diamond is the mfg. they have a poor track record overall for recalls, although this particular food hasn't , I think.

Pooper scooper RipleyandBentley's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ripley Jaxon & Bentley Winston
    Likes (Received)

I definitely would stay away from it. Long story but almost lost my Bentley due to the Salmon and Sweet potato Costco brand. He ended up getting pancretitis and was hospitalized for 4 days. I actually called the company and was told that they sometimes get behind schedule and package the dog food while it is still warm which may cause bacteria but not enough to recall the dog food. They also stated that the dog food may have been left out on pallets in the sun at Costco, so they couldn't be responsible for it.
    Ripley and Bentley's mom (Julie)

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)

I use the Costco Natures Domain, Salmon (red bag) and the blue bag (I think lamb). I had Arnold on Taste of the Wild initially and then changed him to Natures domain with no problems. Bertha started on Fromm Puppy and we changed her at 16 weeks again with no problem or allergies. Neither of them have had skin problems from it, maybe some extra shedding but you can give them salmon oil. Lisa (@desertskybulldogs) gives one of her dogs this food but if I remember correctly all the others didn't do so well. After reading @RipleyandBentley post, I am a little concerned. Is it the Natures Domain brand that you had problems with or the Kirkland brand?

I'm a good girl, I promise

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jax
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about the costco dog food but definetly stay away from the costco dog biscuits. My sister in law has 3 bulldogs who are very healthy. Her husband bought the biscuits cause he thought they were cheap and thought they would be good and now all 3 of them developed warts.They developed warts all around the mouth and even on the tounge. I never even knew that dogs could develop warts! But anyways the vet said its from their food and weak immunity system. She has not changed their regular food and the Bullies never had any issues until now. She usually gives them grain free treats and after this she will definetly be more carefull what she gives them.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes I tried it on 5 bullies, and the results were most didn't have nice sleek costs, got tears stains on 4 of the 5. However Mandy did so great on it (she's solid white) that I kept her on it until the last diamond recall. I've been trying to find a better food for her and recently pork & peas by Fromm and nope she's not doing great on it. I'm thinking of switching her back right now to see if she has the same good results, if only temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

I think Earthborn is relatively inexpensive and a decent food. @desertskybulldogs also had some luck on Avoderm, I believe, which is also a moderately priced choice.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Roxy
    Likes (Received)

.... as for the Costco Biscuits I have never heard about any bull dog getting warts from the Costco dog biscuits . I have 2 bulls that are 10 years old and they have been on these biscuits. they are made in the USA... So I think the warts were cause by something else and not from the Costco Biscuits . LOL

Real Name
    Dee
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

We tried it for a few months. The stools were ok, a little soft but not terrible. But her coat was really, really dull on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads