We've made the switch!

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
To Fromms! Ramsay's vet had him on a Royal Canin brand - development puppy, but it didn't seem to settle right in his stomach. His :poo: was never solid... soft serve all the time. Since we've switched to Fromms Puppy Gold - there's been a large improvement! But he seems to be shedding a LOT - maybe from the very hot and humid weather we've been having? I can't even pick him up without getting his hair all over me... He's also been waking up with fairly large eye boogers (technical term? haha). We made the full switch to 100% Fromms on Monday. Is he still adjusting to the new food? or should I look into another brand. I just want the best for my pup! I swear this guy eats better than I do :whistle:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be weather related or time to blow the puppy coat... If it seems to be doing well otherwise I would give it more time. Eye boogers can be pretty normal for pups too as long as they are not mucus-like.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I just switched to Fromms also after using Natural Balance for the past year. Haven't noticed any additional shedding or eye boogers yet!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
To Fromms! Ramsay's vet had him on a Royal Canin brand - development puppy, but it didn't seem to settle right in his stomach. His :poo: was never solid... soft serve all the time. Since we've switched to Fromms Puppy Gold - there's been a large improvement! But he seems to be shedding a LOT - maybe from the very hot and humid weather we've been having? I can't even pick him up without getting his hair all over me... He's also been waking up with fairly large eye boogers (technical term? haha). We made the full switch to 100% Fromms on Monday. Is he still adjusting to the new food? or should I look into another brand. I just want the best for my pup! I swear this guy eats better than I do :whistle:

I'd definitely stick with the Fromm thru this adjustment period. Sounds like Ramsay is doing well on it since you're seeing improvement. Finn still gets those "eye boogers" too ( I call his "goopy eyes" tho, hehe)...
Hopefully Ramsay will continue to improve and you won't need to make any more food switches for a long time!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Which flavour of Fromms, did you choose? If its chicken based, that may be the cause. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken and salmon, so we switched to the Fromms Beef Frittata. Actually I just read that you switched to Fromms Puppy Gold, which is a chicken based food. Our two guys were also on Royal Canin from the breeder. I wasn't happy with the ingredients and fillers in this brand, so we switched them to Go Natural and both of them developed soft serve poop, then we switched to the Fromms Puppy Gold, and Blossom developed pink hot ears, pink face and chin and chin acne, she also got the diarrhea. It turns out she is either allergic or super sensitive to chicken, salmon, grains, and corn. Last week I thought I'd try a new flavour of Fromms, and bought a small bag of duck and turkey, but after 2 days she was exactly the same, pink, itchy, I had to give her a Benadryl, and after 1/2 an hour she was fine again. We are going to have to stick with the Beef flavour.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would continue the food for a longer period of time. A couple weeks at the least to be fully eating the food I would say, unless there is some horrid reaction or something crazy.

OP
mbd963

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], I don't think he's allergic to chicken - I've fed him deli chicken before and no reaction! I guess I'll wait a few weeks on the food to see if the shedding and goopy eyes go down a little. His :poo: is good though so I'm not too worried! Maybe one he's a bit older I can play around with the different flavours to see which one suits his little bully tummy best!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It could also just be the transitioning period, it takes about a month for the previous food to completely leave their systems. It would be great if he didn't have any allergy to chicken, as you would definetely have more food choices, and the Fromms Puppy Gold is an excellent food for puppies, so if he can tolerate it, that's great.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would keep going on the food a bit longer and see if its worse or better. could be environmental issues to. a bit soon to tell really.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.