Iams?

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I took Otis for an allergy test today, but my vet doesn't do them so she referred me to a dermatologist (but gladly took my money for...nothing. You couldn't tell me that over the phone?). Then she told me that I should be feeding him kangaroo and oats by....IAMS. Really? I heard Iams wasn't the greatest dog food. Has anyone tried this with any success?

She also warned me not to feed him the raw diet because he won't be getting as much nutrients as she needs. Is that true too?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members that may be able to provide some insight for you..... keep in mind, vets are not nutrionalist, they spend very little time on understanding this becasue they are focused on the medical and internal workings...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Here's the ingredients...

Oat Flour, Kangaroo, Canola Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid)

I feed raw and I'm sure my dogs get all they need. They don't just eat raw meat, eather.
Would you want to feed your dog mostly flour? It says Kangaroo??? What of kangaroo??? I just don't trust these dried dog foods that vets push. Of course it can work for some, but most of them are so artificial, that it makes me sick and so it does the dogs and they keep on going back to the vets...

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
I just visited the "Doggie Dermatologist" today for the first time with Gucci. I left with doing a food trial to rule out food allergies. Nothing except the food, water and if needed, a Kong filled with Marshmallow Fluff. He prescribed Iams Oat and Kangaroo as well. I told him Gucci was eating Fromm Surf and Turf. He kinda gave me a better picture of how even though it is one brand and that say if "surf and Turf" went down the line, then they made let's say "Pork and Applesauce", they would be putting different things on there and if there is an allergy to the "Surf and Turf", but they are making the "Pork and Applesauce" it has been on the same line as the other. So evidently it had been crossed with the other food flaring it up. That is how I took it. We'll see how this goes.. If the food trial doesn't work, my other option would be Atopica, or Skin testing! I'm BROKE! =/

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Here's the ingredients...

Oat Flour, Kangaroo, Canola Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid)

I feed raw and I'm sure my dogs get all they need. They don't just eat raw meat, eather.
Would you want to feed your dog mostly flour? It says Kangaroo??? What of kangaroo??? I just don't trust these dried dog foods that vets push. Of course it can work for some, but most of them are so artificial, that it makes me sick and so it does the dogs and they keep on going back to the vets...

I'm really leaning towards feeding him raw. Most likely start him this week. I've been reading up on it and I think I'll start him on chicken. You mentioned that they don't just eat raw meat....what else do you feed them?

Maybe I'll hold off on the dermatologist for a bit.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
OK, here goes...not in order of quantity...horse, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, reindeer, differend fish, goose, all those with and without bone, tongues, tribe, gizzards, livers, kidneys, hearts, lungs, pharynx, eggs with shell, pureed vegetables, kelp, oils, etc. I'm sure I forgot something....unfortunately Usko can't eat organs so I give him multivitamin pills.

I'm really leaning towards feeding him raw. Most likely start him this week. I've been reading up on it and I think I'll start him on chicken. You mentioned that they don't just eat raw meat....what else do you feed them?

Maybe I'll hold off on the dermatologist for a bit.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont think much of iams myself and the ingredients pretty much are awful if you ask me. of course they can eat it and not be allergic there is nothing in there for them to be allergic to. raw is a good choice not for me so i just homecooked for sarah with her kibble. like i would add in white rice for a few days see what happened then brown rice then see what happens. i did my own food trial along with 1/2 cup of kibble. it has really helped me narrow down sarahs food allergies. of course i had her tested and some of it was right and some not but at least i had a base to go from. if you want there are better kibbles to narrow down allergies like nvi lid there are like 3 kinds and nutrisource has 2 grain free and pure vita has 3 that are pure protein foods so there are other avenues.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
She also warned me not to feed him the raw diet because he won't be getting as much nutrients as she needs. Is that true too?

You've already been given great advice so I'm just going to comment on this last line.

Vets are given barely any training in nutrition, what little they do get is funded by Hills. This is why they push so hard for Science Diet products. Holistic vets advocate feeding raw or home cooked. These are people who first had to become a veterinarian, then train for an additional 2 years to specialize in holistic medicine. If anyone knows about nutrition and what to feed it is the person who spent the additional time to learn about it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online