Thread: What food should I try now?

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What food should I try now?

Hi @BullieMom, and welcome!

Your story sounds eerily similar to mine, and I also have tried every food with my kids. No matter what I did, the allergies always returned (from gastro symptoms to tear stains and open skin sores). My last attempt was NID turkey, then lamb. When that didn't work, my vet advised to either try a protein/starch combo that they had never been exposed to (i.e. kangaroo and tapioca - $$$$$$$$$$$$$) or switch to an (ulp) prescription formula. At that point, I was desperate to just get them stable and well. The meds were overflowing here and they were a mess with sores and itchiness. The first prescription food I tried, Hill's Z/D, was a hydrolyzed chicken base. and guess what/ Even HYDROLYZED chicken didn't work! The next prescription food was my last option before moving to home cooking (I don't know what is left to choose to cook for them, but anyway...). The other prescription food was Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic HP. I haven't looked back since. It is a hydrolyzed soy base food. Yup - I have vegan bullies!

I know I am a black sheep here for having them on prescription food, and I am not overjoyed to have them eat such a fake/engineered food, but more importantly they are healthy and thriving. They are on zero meds, and have no sores, no ear infections, Layla's super deep rope cleared up, tears stains vastly improved (they got a little worse when spring hit, so I believe there are some environmental allergies at play here), and their coats and skins are glistening. I know that the food is engineered, but I also know it is completely balanced. We have only been to the vet for routine checkups. They also LOVE the taste - I even think it smells good. They have dry and wet versions.

I hope one day to get them on something more natural, but I also don't ever want to go back to the bad year I had when they switched to adult food and all of this started (they are 2 now). We spent a fortune.
    The food isn't cheap, I pay $140 about every 5 weeks for it and that feeds them both, so I guess $70 each. But no more vet trips and their health is worth any price.

I am just telling you my story in case you are at your wits' end and just need them well for a little while.... I recommend this food very highly.

Best of luck! xo!
    My whole world

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Have you ever considered feeding home cooked or raw? Some dogs and bullys are allergic to dust mites that are found in every brand of kibble...

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i to have had sarah on a million foods even freeze dried and im still looking for the right food for her. i hope this lid lamb works out. i find with bullies to find a protein that works and then proceed from there with the starches and such. it got to the point that i started mixing in some home cooked for sarah to see what exactly she was allergic to. she has eaten white rice brown rice green beans chickpeas carrots brocolli. this has greatly helped me to narrow down what she is allergic to. if you need more help im around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads