Help Needed! Low thryroid problems

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
vegas.jpg

This is Vegas who has just come into rescue with us ... Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs. She has low thryroid and is currently on a supplement from the vet. She goes back in a couple of weeks to have her thryroid tested again.

Her owner had her on Purina and she only came in to us on Friday, so I'd like her new foster Mum to start changing her onto a better food. The question is ... what is a good food for a bully with low thryroid!! Calling our resident food gurus ... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]??

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have a thyroid problem and I was wondering if dogs with the same problem benefit from grain free diet as I do????

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i wont know as much as bev but ive been looking this up and noone really talks bout changing the food except to add some supplements to the medication already being taken. i did find this though
When choosing commercial foods, Dr. Dodds recommends types that contain only natural preservatives, such as mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), citric acid (vitamin C), and rosemary extract.

ok so im seeing alot of stuff about kelp and excess iodine causing this condition. alot of dogs foods contain this now. i found something that said a small amount of sodium selenite or kelp would help the condition but to much would cause it. :eek: there are also other foods to avoid it seems

The American Thyroid Association recommends that the low-iodine diet (used in the treatment of thyroid cancer patients) include less than 50 mcg of iodine per day. (Source 2) Besides iodized salt, the following food items contain copious amounts of iodine: seafood products, dairy products, egg yolks, baked products, red dye#3, molasses, soy products, some beans (red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and cowpeas), fresh meat, and some rices

i will wait to see what bev says then i can recommend a food.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
View attachment 47715

This is Vegas who has just come into rescue with us ... Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs. She has low thryroid and is currently on a supplement from the vet. She goes back in a couple of weeks to have her thryroid tested again.

Her owner had her on Purina and she only came in to us on Friday, so I'd like her new foster Mum to start changing her onto a better food. The question is ... what is a good food for a bully with low thryroid!! Calling our resident food gurus ... @cowsmom and @Twice??

ok i wont know as much as bev but ive been looking this up and noone really talks bout changing the food except to add some supplements to the medication already being taken. i did find this though
When choosing commercial foods, Dr. Dodds recommends types that contain only natural preservatives, such as mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), citric acid (vitamin C), and rosemary extract.

ok so im seeing alot of stuff about kelp and excess iodine causing this condition. alot of dogs foods contain this now. i found something that said a small amount of sodium selenite or kelp would help the condition but to much would cause it. :eek: there are also other foods to avoid it seems

The American Thyroid Association recommends that the low-iodine diet (used in the treatment of thyroid cancer patients) include less than 50 mcg of iodine per day. (Source 2) Besides iodized salt, the following food items contain copious amounts of iodine: seafood products, dairy products, egg yolks, baked products, red dye#3, molasses, soy products, some beans (red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and cowpeas), fresh meat, and some rices

i will wait to see what bev says then i can recommend a food.

Sorry I'm late to this, I had company all day.

I think the ATA is wrong in their opinion on iodine. Oregon State did their own study and just about all of the homeopathic remedies on the market include it. You can read the whole thing here but basically it's proven that the thyroid NEEDS iodine

Iodine is an essential component of the thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T[SUB]3[/SUB]) and thyroxine (T[SUB]4[/SUB]), and is therefore essential for normal thyroid function. To meet the body's demand for thyroid hormones, the thyroid gland traps iodine from the blood and incorporates it into thyroid hormones that are stored and released into the circulation when needed. In target tissues, such as the liver and the brain, T[SUB]3[/SUB], the physiologically active thyroid hormone, can bind to thyroid receptors in the nuclei of cells and regulate gene expression. In target tissues, T[SUB]4[/SUB], the most abundant circulating thyroid hormone, can be converted to T[SUB]3[/SUB] by selenium-containing enzymes known as deiodinases. In this manner, thyroid hormones regulate a number of physiologic processes, including growth, development, metabolism, and reproductive function (1, 2).

As long Vegas is getting the proper dosage of his medication TWICE a day he really doesn't need a special diet. She just needs to make sure that protein sources are in the top few ingredients. No corn or grains of any kind. The food also needs a low sodium level. She can easily buy a premium dog food and Vegas will be fine.

There are several supplements that she can (and probably should) give him. Standard Process makes one but there are others out there just as good if not better and most likely cheaper.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. Can you recommend corn free and grain free. ??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea karen im looking into it the low sodium part is hard to pinpoint. do you know if they would order or are they going to shop at petco or petsmart.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok how about nvi limited ingredient diets. they have turkey, lamb, duck, and rabbit although their rabbit comes from china.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
ok how about nvi limited ingredient diets. they have turkey, lamb, duck, and rabbit although their rabbit comes from china.

I think they would prefer to buy from a store ... but would be open to ordering from Petflow if necessary

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I think they would prefer to buy from a store ... but would be open to ordering from Petflow if necessary
well petco has nvi but not sure bout the limited ingredient i think my store has it thats why i said that one

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
well petco has nvi but not sure bout the limited ingredient i think my store has it thats why i said that one

Both Petco and Petsmart sell the limited ingredient formulas

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online