dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi everyone,

My pup is around 9 weeks old and he's on Royal Canine (breeder's food). i want to change it to a grainfree German-made dogfood but it has a high content of Calcium (2,52% - 3,39%) and Phosphorous (1,31% - 1,59%) <--from their puppy line.

I've read that excessive amount of both would/might lead to skeletal problems and renal failure.

We unfortunately don't have Fromm here, but we do have Taste of the wild, Acana, Orijen (these 2 are very expensive for me) Applaws (which I'm also contamplating of switching to, but availability is also a priority for me).

Can someone please help me? Like most newbies i'm very confused. I read alot of good reviews about Wolfsblut but i dunno if it's good for a baby bulldog because of the high Calcium and Phosphorous content. or am i just over analyzing things? or should i just go for it and see what happens?:blink:

Please i need help! :pray:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the brands you have mentioned. We use Fromms Beef Frittata, but I will tag some members who have experience with foods and can help you.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Hi everyone,

My pup is around 9 weeks old and he's on Royal Canine (breeder's food). i want to change it to a grainfree German-made dogfood but it has a high content of Calcium (2,52% - 3,39%) and Phosphorous (1,31% - 1,59%) <--from their puppy line.

I've read that excessive amount of both would/might lead to skeletal problems and renal failure.

We unfortunately don't have Fromm here, but we do have Taste of the wild, Acana, Orijen (these 2 are very expensive for me) Applaws (which I'm also contamplating of switching to, but availability is also a priority for me).

Can someone please help me? Like most newbies i'm very confused. I read alot of good reviews about Wolfsblut but i dunno if it's good for a baby bulldog because of the high Calcium and Phosphorous content. or am i just over analyzing things? or should i just go for it and see what happens?:blink:

Please i need help! :pray:

I'm going to try to explain the importance of both to you (and anyone else who is interested) but I'm still working on my first cup of coffee here so bare with me :)

Calcium is vital for proper bone, muscle and nerve development. But calcium is useless without phosphorous. Phosphorous is what enables the body to process and absorb calcium and calcium needs phosphorous to be useful. So you NEED both. As long as the calcium to phosphorous ratio is 2:1 it is perfectly fine.

Phosphorous becomes a problem when the kidneys are already compromised. The misconception about kidney failure is that protein is the culpret. This is NOT true. Phosphorous is your devil. If your puppy is born with bad kidneys, or there is some sort of trauma to them or they ingest a toxin that causes renal weakness phosphorous makes the problem worse. But even then phosphorous is important so there is this very fine tight rope dancing that you have to do. The body needs calcium or it will begin to consume itself. Then and only then do you need to worry about the cal/phos ratio.

A 2:1 ratio for healthy animals, 1:1 for sick ones.

I checked out the website for this Wolfsblut (once it was translated into English lol) The only thing that concerns me about it is that sweet potatoes are the first ingredient. Meat should always be first on the list. Sandy @cowsmom should be along shortly, she is the Kibble Queen. I'm sure she will be able to offer more suggestions.

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Vikinggirl thank you very much for tagging the others :yes:.

Twice thank you sooo much for explaining this to me and even made the effort to look into it, really appreciate it. so Wolfsblut is not what i thought it is. then what do you think of Applaws? i also read alot of good reviews about it, it boasts of having 75% meat content and 25% vegetables. although in 2010 they seemed to have Melamine and mycotoxins found in their dry catfood. i appreciate all the help! thank you very much!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Vikinggirl thank you very much for tagging the others :yes:.

Twice thank you sooo much for explaining this to me and even made the effort to look into it, really appreciate it. so Wolfsblut is not what i thought it is. then what do you think of Applaws? i also read alot of good reviews about it, it boasts of having 75% meat content and 25% vegetables. although in 2010 they seemed to have Melamine and mycotoxins found in their dry catfood. i appreciate all the help! thank you very much!

Trust me, I didn't have to look into it. I lived it. Phosphorous to Calcium ratios were my life for a year :yes:

I'm not as good as the kibble thing as @cowsmom but I'll take a shot at it :) The ingredients aren't bad and I would think a recall that old isn't as important as say a recall last month.

Sandy... I dug up the ingredients from the puppy formula... whatcha think?

Chicken 67% (from Dried Chicken), Chicken Mince 8% Potato Starch 7%, Peas 6% (from Dried Peas), Poultry Oil 3% (Source of Omega 6), Beet Pulp, Poultry Gravy, Whole Egg (from Dried Egg), Cellulose Plant Fibre, Minerals, Salmon Oil (source of Omega 3 & EPA & DHA) Vitamins, Tomato (from Dried Tomato), Carrot (from Dried Carrot), Chicory Extract (F.O.S), Alfalfa Meal, Seaweed/Kelp, Yeast Extract (Purified Beta Glucan min 0.1%), Glucosamine, Methylsulfonylmethane, Chondroitin, Peppermint, Paprika Meal, Turmeric, Thyme Extract, Citrus Extract, Taurine 1000 mg/kg, Yucca Extract, Cranberry, Fennel Extract, Carob Extract, Ginger, Rosehip Extract, Dandelion Extract, Rosemary Oil Extract, Oregano, Probiotic: Contains E1705 Enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 (SF68: NCIMB 10415) 1,000,000 cfu/kg as an aid in the establishment, maintenance and restoration of a balanced gut flora in puppies.
Additives:

Vitamins: Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) 19,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 2,000 IU/kg, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) 640 mg/kg; Trace Elements: Sodium Selenite 0.33 mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.26 mg/kg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 233 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 40 mg/kg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 94 mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 444 mg/kg. Natural Antioxidant: Mixed Tocopherols; Gut Flora Stabiliser: E1705 Enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 (SF68; NCIMB 10415) 1,000,000,000 cfu/kg.
Analytical Constituents:

Protein 38%, Crude Oils and Fats 20%, Crude Fibres 4.5%, Crude Ash 8%, Calcium 1.34%, Phosphorous 1.31%, Carbohydrates <21.5%.
No added artificial colourants, flavourings or preservatives.

Oh, and to tag members you should add an @ symbol before their name so we get notified :)

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Excellent info (as always) Twice! Isn't Orijen a high quality 4 or 5 star food? I've heard good things about it but it is more expensive here then Fromm so I went w Fromm.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Once again great info. Before reading this I didn't have a clue about it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i was checking this out and its kinda hard as the ingredients are not like our are here. i have a few reservations like beet pulp and it just says poultry oil and gravy and most of the ingredients are dried. i have looked it up on some other forums and it seems to be well liked and a good food however i have reservations of such a high fat food for such a low energy breed. would probably be good for a pup or young bully but for an older one not so much as they can put on weight. i love acana for bullies as its a bit lower protein which means lower fat and calories. if you want to try it i dont see why not. also the issue they had was in 2010 and that was a while ago and well we have had our issues with companies here so one incident so long ago would probably be ok.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Excellent info (as always) Twice! Isn't Orijen a high quality 4 or 5 star food? I've heard good things about it but it is more expensive here then Fromm so I went w Fromm.

Orijen is rated 5 stars here. It is a great food but you're right about the price. Most here on EBN feed Fromm. It's a great, high quality, all stages food meaning it's just as good for seniors and puppies as it is for adults.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@Twice thank you very much for explaining this to me and making the time and effort to look into the ingredients of the dogfoods i want analyzed! sorry i forgot to post links for them :no:.
@cowsmom thank you very much for analyzing the dogfoods for me and even looked for reviews about the dry dogfood.

Thank you both for taking your time helping me. you guys are simply the best! i hope you guys won't mind if i bother you again when and if i have more questions to ask? hehe. but i think i will go for Acana now lol. it's at the same price range as Applaws and Wolfsblut but not as expensive as Orijen. i don't want my puppy too chubby as he already is! his gaining a kilo a week (around 2lbs.) which is normal from what i read?

again i really can't thank you guys enough for the valuable information i gained :salute: hmmm where's the worship smiley here? that's what i want to put here :D.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well we all just try to help here. keep us updated on how it goes.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
but i think i will go for Acana now lol. it's at the same price range as Applaws and Wolfsblut but not as expensive as Orijen. i don't want my puppy too chubby as he already is! his gaining a kilo a week (around 2lbs.) which is normal from what i read?

Great choice! :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.